Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #1

The hunt is on!

After over the span of awhile ive been watching and looking class As. Its now time to get serious. Want my rig by March-ish. Full timer Aug. 1st 2018.
So, whats the deal with some of these rigs that are worth 3 to 4x the asking prices? I realize that it will need some work.. but enough to knock it down to $30k below nada.
We are looking for a gasser to start out and get mobile with. 36ft is perfect for now. Also im concentrating on rigs with 55k or less miles on it. I know if they sit for long periods of time it causes problems. So, i figured i would pose my quandary to tap into the vast knowledge of things RV that is possessed by the members of this forum..
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
After over the span of awhile ive been watching and looking class As. Its now time to get serious. Want my rig by March-ish. Full timer Aug. 1st 2018.
So, whats the deal with some of these rigs that are worth 3 to 4x the asking prices? I realize that it will need some work.. but enough to knock it down to $30k below nada.
We are looking for a gasser to start out and get mobile with. 36ft is perfect for now. Also im concentrating on rigs with 55k or less miles on it. I know if they sit for long periods of time it causes problems. So, i figured i would pose my quandary to tap into the vast knowledge of things RV that is possessed by the members of this forum..
Also! When looking im taking into consideration the GVWR. What should i be looking at for dry/load weight. Thats with a toad. 5000lbs? (Wife has lots of clothes..lol)
Old 12-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! You've got a lot of tire-kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Also! When looking im taking into consideration the GVWR. What should i be looking at for dry/load weight. Thats with a toad. 5000lbs? (Wife has lots of clothes..lol)
Many full timers find that they need at least 1500 pounds of cargo carrying capacity (CCC) for each adult. The CCC or the newer designation OCCC will be on a sticker somewhere in the motor home - usually in a cabinet or closet.
I have seen a number of motor homes (including some diesel pushers) that have as little as 360 pounds of CCC. That is hardly enough for a weekend much less full timing.

You can see the definition of CCC HERE,
and New OCCC HERE.
Scroll down to "2009 New weight label" and download the pdf file.

To get CCC subtract the weight of water you will carry and the weight of the people you will carry from the OCCC.

We had 2800 pounds of CCC and would like to have had 3500. We started with a 30 footer with no slides and after a year traded it in on a new 35 footer with two slides.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:24 AM   #5

Greetings. Your initial question probably would be more suited for the "Motor Home" section to get more conversation on motor homes. You will need to do some research on used prices to get a feel for what a particular rig is worth. Twice now I've used N.A.D.A. to get the original MSRP. From there I deduct 30% off for the first year, then deduct another 10% off each decreasing year. An example in round numbers; $100K New MSRP less 30%= $70K appx. what it should've sold for. The following one year old rig than should be worth about $63K, two years old $56,700. Like I said, not rocket science but helped me on my first class A not knowing a darn thing, using it five years, than trading in with nice positive equity. The rig I own now I used the formula again and the dealer wanted $88K, I offered $72K, they balked and said the price is $88. I then told them I don't care what they say the their price is, but the price its worth to me is $72K, we settled on $74K. Got a one year old rig with 4601 miles on it. I also that formula on my trade, what I thought it was reasonable worth from the dealers stand point, no argument or negotiation. Worked for me. RV's of any nature are way over priced because you don't have the simple resources to check out pricing like cars. Don't be afraid to shoot a price $1000's under what a dealer or more so private owner is asking. Unless the rig you find is an absolute jewel, no one is going to be beating their door down to get it. Good Luck.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
Here is an example of the data sticker you are looking for ..It "should" be similar but with the "data" for your coach/TT/5'r
And I also posted the "rest of the story" your coach/TT or 5'r should have listed.
The only data plate I didn't post was the Combined gross veh wt sticker. (in our case it is 52k)

Happy Hunting....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1658 (1).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	351.0 KB
ID:	186834   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	186835  

SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So, whats the deal with some of these rigs that are worth 3 to 4x the asking prices?
Asking prices don't mean much, except maybe the seller's dream price. Your challenge is to figure out what it's worth, both on the open market and to you personally. RV prices are a lot more variable than cars, with sometimes major differences in region, season, and house style/condition.

Quote:
im taking into consideration the GVWR. What should i be looking at for dry/load weight. Thats with a toad. 5000lbs?
The toad has virtually no impact on GVWR - it is towed, not carried in/on the coach. However, you do need enough GCWR and trailer hitch capability to cover the towed weight. Learn the difference between CCC and OCCC (see previous posts). You will almost surely be carrying between 1800 and 2500 lbs of your own gear, food, water, clothing. etc., plus yourselves (your family's body weight). OCCC lumps that into one number, but CCC tries to split it out into categories.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
Greetings. Your initial question probably would be more suited for the "Motor Home" section to get more conversation on motor homes. You will need to do some research on used prices to get a feel for what a particular rig is worth. Twice now I've used N.A.D.A. to get the original MSRP. From there I deduct 30% off for the first year, then deduct another 10% off each decreasing year. An example in round numbers; $100K New MSRP less 30%= $70K appx. what it should've sold for. The following one year old rig than should be worth about $63K, two years old $56,700. Like I said, not rocket science but helped me on my first class A not knowing a darn thing, using it five years, than trading in with nice positive equity. The rig I own now I used the formula again and the dealer wanted $88K, I offered $72K, they balked and said the price is $88. I then told them I don't care what they say the their price is, but the price its worth to me is $72K, we settled on $74K. Got a one year old rig with 4601 miles on it. I also that formula on my trade, what I thought it was reasonable worth from the dealers stand point, no argument or negotiation. Worked for me. RV's of any nature are way over priced because you don't have the simple resources to check out pricing like cars. Don't be afraid to shoot a price $1000's under what a dealer or more so private owner is asking. Unless the rig you find is an absolute jewel, no one is going to be beating their door down to get it. Good Luck.
I always post in the wrong section, will repost inital question in the MH forum..i figure buying a MH will be the same as dickering for a car.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Here is an example of the data sticker you are looking for ..It "should" be similar but with the "data" for your coach/TT/5'r
And I also posted the "rest of the story" your coach/TT or 5'r should have listed.
The only data plate I didn't post was the Combined gross veh wt sticker. (in our case it is 52k)

Happy Hunting....
I have only seen the gray info plate. The other answered my questions..thanks for posting those pics!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Many full timers find that they need at least 1500 pounds of cargo carrying capacity (CCC) for each adult. The CCC or the newer designation OCCC will be on a sticker somewhere in the motor home - usually in a cabinet or closet.
I have seen a number of motor homes (including some diesel pushers) that have as little as 360 pounds of CCC. That is hardly enough for a weekend much less full timing.

You can see the definition of CCC HERE,
and New OCCC HERE.
Scroll down to "2009 New weight label" and download the pdf file.

To get CCC subtract the weight of water you will carry and the weight of the people you will carry from the OCCC.

We had 2800 pounds of CCC and would like to have had 3500. We started with a 30 footer with no slides and after a year traded it in on a new 35 footer with two slides.
Thanks for the links. Ive searched everywhere and have found bits and pieces of my question..
Old 12-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I always post in the wrong section, will repost inital question in the MH forum..i figure buying a MH will be the same as dickering for a car.
Don't repost. Ask a moderator to move the thread.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

To the OP, the only difference from negotiating a deal on a car/truck vs. an RV is with the RV you will be shooting offers $1000's off of the asking price. Most private owners will use N.A.D.A as their guide to what they will ask. Also, private owners tend to get a little to passionate of their rig and way over value its worth. Dealers will try to sell you junk like it is brand new. In my example, $88K the dealer wanted for the one year old rig was way more than what the original selling price should've been brand new. Even then, I probably over paid by the $2K I went up in price, but I blew it with my initial offer not being low enough to afford me wiggle room. However, very happy with the rig and what I paid considering other dealers were showing me 5-7 year old rigs at pricing greater than what I paid for my exactly one year old model.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The interior layout is far more important than the chassis unless you doing many hills. 98% of the time your sitting, 2% moving. Small issues at purchase may become major issues necessatating another purchase. Being handy to fix problems saves much bucks. Meaning complicated systems are expensive to repair if you cant. Age is not important if RV was cared for. Meaning a newer coach neglected is worse than older cared for.
Do much research and inspection before buying.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
The interior layout is far more important than the chassis unless you doing many hills. 98% of the time your sitting, 2% moving. Small issues at purchase may become major issues necessatating another purchase. Being handy to fix problems saves much bucks. Meaning complicated systems are expensive to repair if you cant. Age is not important if RV was cared for. Meaning a newer coach neglected is worse than older cared for.
Do much research and inspection before buying.
The lay out is whats going to sell us, but the motor and chassis has to be able to pull us with no issues. Luckily im very mechanically inclined. Ive never dealt with an RV systems, but im up for the task.