Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2020, 03:14 AM   #29

I believe the boom will slow down some. But, Some new younger REers have chosen this as a good thing for their well-being. Maybe they don't weigh out things and give the same consideration that we older (I'm 74) do. But, RVing is a positive thing for the family. They know they aren't stuck at home and can even work remotely while stationed in their RV site. This gives time for recreation immediately when their day's work is completed.
I have experienced the younger RVers attitudes toward older being quite commendable. I don't consider myself old. But, so many younger one show unexpected courtesy.

If they have questions, I gladly answer and am glad to assist them.

I welcome the new RVers. I was young once.
Maybe we older should boom with the boomers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 04:32 AM   #30

The pandemic has given the industry a boost and how it will shake out is anyone's guess. Right now it is restricting my move into full time until the border opens. RVing in a Canadian winter does not appeal to me at all. Some of course do and good luck to them. I refuse to expose a very expensive vehicle to salted highways. That's another story for another time.

The spike in New folks is great. Yes the crowds will be there, the roads will have more traffic etc. However think of the new innovations, products, services that will be available. New blood in the design and engineering side as well.

Yes many new folks will opt out in short order but we see that now. Many older ones will retire and revert back to the S and Bs. This happens and they deserve thanks for their contribution to our lifestyle.

So now we move into the future. After the initial rush, it will all settle down. In two years time we may wonder what all the fuss was about. The cruise liners, airlines will be rocking again and offering sales on everything.

Just my nickels worth.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #31

We fall in the newbie category buying our first gasser in March, pre-pandemic and liked it so much we just upgraded to a new diesel. Having bought a new RV I never anticipated the break in period and how much can go wrong or has to be repaired. Also did not anticipate the lack or qualified service options. Couple that with the post Covid quality Issues we’ll see with MH’s coming online I agree that this will frustrate many new RV’ers. For me, I had to change my expectations and adjust my OCD that everything should be perfect or I won’t enjoy a trip. This is what I believe will wear on many newbies. The RV manufactures are dependent on a supply chain that is stretched so I’ll be surprised if quality products are being produced. We are building our new DP and Tiffin can’t tell us what appliances or furniture we’ll be getting. What other industry can do that on such a large purchase. Unless RV service ramps way up to meet the coming demand, there will be frustration and many RV’s in the shop more than on the road. To answer the OP’s initial question, the age old adage of “What goes up must come down” will apply. Unless you enjoy the experience both good and bad, this will not be for many people that cleaned out the lots of every dealer in America.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:10 PM   #32

Want a good deal on a used camper? Wait a year or two; there’ll be a bunch for sale.
Old 09-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
Many here (me included) believed that this insanity will end with the virus as people decide this isn't for them and return to their normal patterns. The industry has a different view as you can read. Wishful thinking on their part?

https://rvbusiness.com/koep-kelley-w...in-five-years/
I agree! Can’t wait to scoop up a good used coach once all the people who bought them realize the work and money that goes in to them!
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
I would say the same could be also true with people buying new cars and not even knowing how safe their job is.
mazda2924x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #35

I think once there are viable vaccines and treatments, people will get back to their old routine, for the most part. Probably a small percentage will continue, but I think it will taper off over a couple of years. Then the camping will mostly return to normal and the used market will be a buyers market for lightly used rvs/trailers and gear.
Jim_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Many here (me included) believed that this insanity will end with the virus as people decide this isn't for them and return to their normal patterns. The industry has a different view as you can read. Wishful thinking on their part?

Yes I agree with you, once they start to pay for storage, and only have time for weekend outings it will get old very quick. Time will tell

Zzotte
Old 09-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Well folks, thank you for your input. We certainly have a divergence of views here! Time will tell. I'm voting that we will see a major divestment of newbie RVs in the next couple of years once this virus is over. Some will love it, but my guess is that most will return to their normal patterns, especially having learned the joys of RV ownership.
Totally agree here. I think its a fad that will go by the wayside in a few years. We seen it with western wear and disco in the 70s, mullets and moustaches in the 80s, etc... 5 yrs maybe, or less. People will want out from under their payments, esp with motorhomes. I believe we will see a glut in resale inventory. The upside is we all can upgrade, if we want, at fire sale pricing.
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #38

I think the new RVers will love the lifestyle but...
Owning an RV has its own set of issues.
1. Where to store it? If you have an HOA, probably not at your home
2. Cost of inevitable repairs
3. Coordinating cg availability with vacation time availability; was that $100K a good investment for something you'll use 3-4 weeks a year?
4. Cost of registration and insurance can be daunting
Wwdnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:56 PM   #39

Smile boom or bust

Quote:

I will tell you the day after the election.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #40

From what I have been reading, the hottest sellers for the 2020 newbies are entry-level travel trailers and Class C's for families and Class B vans for younger millenials. As long-time retirees, my wife and I are way past any of those types of RVs being of even remote interest as an upgrade over our current fifth wheel. So, even if there is a sudden glut of 2020 RVs in the next couple of years, we don't anticipate any personal benefit.

And, as others have mentioned, it takes a long time and a lot of money to get new RV parks approved and built, so the overcrowded campgrounds aren't going away soon either. Right now, we are assuming that we will be doing a lot more boondocking and dry camping on our abundant Rocky Mountain West USFS and BLM land than RV park stays. Of course, many of those new Class C and B owners may have the same idea! Guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #41

Future of the RV life style.

Many newbies are finding out that owing a RV is not as simple as it may appear in the company ads. The new rv owners rolls into a state campground to realize that at 95 degree's their site has no power, the shine on the life style can disappear in a hurry. I see the investment in RV parks etc to continue as there is enough snow birds to keep most of those full. The weekend users faces the most difficulty as everyone wants to be doing the same thing on the same weekends and the chances of getting a camping spot are slim. Once the kids go back to school the families with kids will rarely have chance to get out and that payment of a $800 per month starts to real cause headaches. Many will stick with it more I think more will abandon the life style in a few years.
Useitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #42

I have no idea how large it may be, but I rather suspect there is a respectable percentage of buyers that aren't interested in the recreation aspect.
The cost of stick and brick houses is out of reach of many. Historically, mobile homes were the affordable alternative, but these days you are looking at $67,000.00 or more for a single wide, and still have to find a place to park it.
Travel trailers have become the new mobile homes, IMO.

Tags
camping