Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 09:21 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
No, no, no... black wheel covers are where it's at these days.

Wait... A dark colored tent or something reflective ?
A reversible tent, of course. Black in, white/silver out for hot sunny locations. Reverse it for cooler locations.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
A reversible tent, of course. Black in, white/silver out for hot sunny locations. Reverse it for cooler locations.
I just don't know what we would do without you
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:55 AM   #87

First thing I did to new rig was paint AC covers silver. Agree black was the dumbest thing the industry ever did. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 08-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #88

2 cars parked at the beach in the summer.

One black, one white or silver. Windows closed.

By 2 in the afternoon, you get in and the black car is 40 degrees (or something) hotter.

Both cars are gotten into and the windows rolled down. The seabreeze is now solidly blowing through both cars.

Within a minute or two...occupants of both cars are no longer sweating, but scientific data down to the degree I can't supply. But both car occupants feel cool enough.

If both black and white AC cowlings have sufficient airflow through them... then when the compressor is doing it's job, are the components inside the same temp as the cowling (think car roofs of the 2 cars that are drastically different to touch but what the passengers inside)?
Psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
I just don't know what we would do without you
Carry on as usual, I suppose. Without some data, I can only speculate that my contributions have the same impact on an individual as a black shroud has on an air conditioner.

Thank you for the kind words.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #90

Freightliner Owners Club
I totally agree and dislike black for the exterior paint on a RV even if it's not the whole rig.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #91

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dang, my three shroud covers for our AC are black , but you never get to see them unless you’re really tall. Lol
Old 08-08-2021, 02:45 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Carry on as usual, I suppose. Without some data, I can only speculate that my contributions have the same impact on an individual as a black shroud has on an air conditioner.

Thank you for the kind words.
My motorhome came with black AC shrouds. I painted the top of them with white flex seal witch has uv protection and should help reflect the hot sun. You still get the good look of the black.

2007 Diplomat 40SKQ
klcdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #93

i UNDERSTAND THE PART ABOUT BIACK OBSORBING HEAT. WHY IS BLACK SEEN AS A MAJORITY COLOR IN THE MIDDLE EAST???.
GOODFUNGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #94

Hahaha, had to laugh when I felt the heat of my wrath preempted by 7 pages of people who beat me to it. Not only when dealing with RV's of any configuration, how about the fad of dark/black houses. Not just the trim, but dark bricks and siding, doors, etc. It's like architects who think that the more peaks and valleys you put on a roof are "cool". That's until you meet the roofers who will give you a hot slice of their mind, having to cut shingles and put aluminum valleys in to prevent leaking. Just like clothes and hair do's, long dresses, mini skirts and now it's bun heads. Looks like a walking garbage bag.
Erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #95

A friend of mine is converting an old school bus. He located a 110v mini split within the rear body of the bus. I though what a great idea. It's efficient, quiet and located out of the weather.
buddy110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:08 PM   #96
UAV

I once rolled up all the windows on a White car and a Black car on a very hot day.

Came back hours later and guess what: Both cars were really hot on the inside. In fact, the same temperature.

Who would have thunk?
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #97

A bit over 50 years ago I was peripherally involved in an experiment to determine the impact of color on the temperature inside of metal-clad electrical switchgear (out in full sun). The customer painted each line-up a different color and found that the interior temperature was lowest when the exterior color was a light green.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 03:12 PM   #98

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What has been said about black body heat absorption is valid, but an ideal black body radiates heat more efficiently too. Remember that there is a heat source (the AC condenser unit) under the cover and you want to get rid if that heat as efficiently as possible.
Designer bashing is a sport I also engage in, but it's always best to show your data when making accusations.

A physicist.
Joedarock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, heat, paint, roof