Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
The Lovebugs are back - Central Florida

That time of year again. I drove 160 mi across lower florida from Ft Pierce thru Okeechobee and into FT Myers and the whole way you could hear the rain like sound of Love Bugs meeting their blissful end. The entire front of the RV was black.

Don't leave hme without your bug washing gear!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yup, they're back. They sure are a pain.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:15 AM   #3

Ok...here is the newbie question...is there special gear to tackle the bugs? I have a front mounted engine--any thing I can do to keep radiator clean?
I'll be headed to Florida at some point and have heard of those bugs, but never ran into them while stationed on the east side if the state.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
They still make screen covers for front radiators.

The Love Bug Eraser really works to get them off.
It saves a lot of elbow grease.

Many other tips on getting them off.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Apply a good coat of "Rejex" to combat those bugs..........best stuff for the front end, or the entire Coach for that matter, bugs will wash off easily.
http://www.amazon.com/Corrosion-Tech.../dp/B00GVKUPLC
Old 04-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #6

It's May (actually April) and they are here early. The twice a year revenge for their ancestors, usually a May and October event. I was gettting the RV ready for a trip to Georgia tomorrow and a few landed while I was working on it. Oh what fun it will be getting them off the front of everything.

The sooner you get them off the better. Most I know here use wet fabric softner sheets to get the little buggers off flat surfaces. A good hose to the radiators as soon as possible needs to be done as well.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

BE CAREFULL ! Be very carefull what you use for bug removal as some products will soften and disolve the Diamond Shield or 3M film. The best product I ever used and it works perfect is to wax the front with Rejex and then apply RainX on the entire front. The bugs will wash off effortlessly. The key of course is to wash them off every night and not let them sit. Love bug blood is acidic.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #8

I would imagine the Gnats are out in force in South Georgia also. Basically its anything south of the 38th parallel (south of Macon). Has to do with a prehistoric shore for the Atlantic Ocean, water table and the soil.

My first camping in an RV was an old KOA campground in Unadilla. DW wanted to sit outside since we had a very small camper then. The Gnats were so bad we had to stay inside. When we stopped at a mini-mart there the clerk said don't breath with you mouth open or you will inhale a bunch of them. My next door neighbor is from South Georgia and when I told him about it he said "Oh, you were below the Gnat Line". When it gets above 45 degrees they hatch out.

You can Google "Gnat Line Georgia" and get the info on that. They sure make outside living in South Georgia miserable.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:33 PM   #9

Kill them all before we head that way!!!!!
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #10

Have only seen a very few in north Florida so far. They usually hit us in April and September - last year hardly any. This year they are late. Odd since with the mild winter and early spring rains everything else came out early!
LeeRevell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Staying at Lazy Days campground and a Phaeton just pulled in. Looks like he was in a war with Love Bugs. He is going to have a fun time getting all those things scrubbed off. He must have had a heck of a time seeing out of the windshield.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Just thought I'd add that lovebugs are not exclusive to Florida. You will encounter them across the entire Gulf Coast, from Texas to all points east.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Just thought I'd add that lovebugs are not exclusive to Florida. You will encounter them across the entire Gulf Coast, from Texas to all points east.
I think they must migrate from Florida...man I hate those suckers...they are a pain to clean off all the vehicles.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT4Wextra View Post
I would imagine the Gnats are out in force in South Georgia also. .....
Had an old SW Florida native tell me once while working on his property... "If the Gnats are bothering you just slice a hole in the butt of your pants and they'll leave you alone" - Laughed.....
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida