Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #43

Not sure if it will work when payment is past due. But try it, the only thing you got to lose is a stamp!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #44

Can you send the forms and the check and then have the actual registration be suspended until you get the inspection done?

Would they actually return your check? California sure won't. They cash the check (that way you don't have penalties) and simply don't send your new registration until you get the inspection. In our case, its a smog inspection.
mclinkaberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
Not sure if it will work when payment is past due. But try it, the only thing you got to lose is a stamp!!
The registration hasn't expired yet so I'm not past due, it's just that the online system will not allow me to renew if there is no record of a recent inspection in the computer. Hopefully by sending the money via mail they will do as you describe and process the renewal (or at least accept the funds and thus get the taxes paid on time) but hold my sticker until I get inspected. Still not ideal, but at least then I won't be delinquent.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that! The online registration is blocked but if I just send them the money they have only two choices, either send it all back to me uncashed or process it and hold my sticker until the inspection is done. If they do the latter (and I guess they will based on your experience) then I suppose I'm better off than I am now at least. Thanks for the suggestion.
This is what I am suggesting.

If you have computer banking go in and set the dmv up then place your Vin and the word renewal for (tag) and send it off.

They will receive it and enter it in the system...Or should.

You will see them take y he money then get inspection when you can.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #47

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send them a money order. I'd be very cautious about sending them a check. Then they have your bank account info, AND THEY WILL place a Levy against that account for unpaid fines. The levy fees can be many times higher that the actual levy.

I think you're dealing with a couple issues here. No inspection. No renewal of tags. Payment of taxes. It's a crapstorm, no doubt about it.

PS - Remember, if your plates expire in May, your drop dead date is 6/15. Double check that.
wajell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #48

Wink Simple solution

Time to gather up all your belongings and move to a more sane State...
bulldog620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #49

Quote:
The registration hasn't expired yet so I'm not past due, it's just that the online system will not allow me to renew if there is no record of a recent inspection in the computer. Hopefully by sending the money via mail they will do as you describe and process the renewal (or at least accept the funds and thus get the taxes paid on time) but hold my sticker until I get inspected. Still not ideal, but at least then I won't be delinquent.
In today's day.. with all municipalities/states scratching for every little bit of cash due to the continuing recession... I'd be hard pressed to think any state/municipality will return funds... I'm thinking they'd cash that check faster than you'd think...

I've always like the "beg for forgiveness, than ask for permission" approach anyways...

Good luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
As was mentioned earlier----from post #26

As was mentioned earlier you can get an exemption if you have your vehicle with you, but this is of no relevance if you do not have your vehicle(s) with you as in my case.
So my question, how do they know your vehicles are not with you?
Will they send out an inspector to check see if they have been in storage?
Where do they get the information on if they have been stored or taken with you?
I know what my course of action would be....
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:53 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
So my question, how do they know your vehicles are not with you?
Will they send out an inspector to check see if they have been in storage?
Where do they get the information on if they have been stored or taken with you?
I know what my course of action would be....
As described earlier, if you want to obtain an inspection exemption because your vehicle is out of NC then you have to have it inspected locally (in whatever state you're in) and supply a receipt with date and VIN#. In the view of the DMV If you can do that then the vehicle is with you and if you can't, it isn't.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:53 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not all states perform auto inspections......
Old 04-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
Not all states perform auto inspections......
For the purpose of obtaining an out of state 'inspection' for a NC wavier, the inspector does not have to be an official state inspection station. If the state you are in doesn't do inspections you can take it to any auto shop/tire shop/etc. for whatever they call a safety inspection. Basically they just want a receipt from an auto shop proving the vehicle is with you and not in NC. In the past when I did have a vehicle with me I just took it to an auto shop and asked them to note a safety inspection on a receipt for me and the state was happy with that and granted an exemption.

Yes, it's silly, but then again so is the entire process. Most other states simply require out-of-state travelers to have any required inspections performed within some number of days after returning to the home state, and that is much more logical.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:44 AM   #54

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
That's weird for sure. There is no penalty for not renewing in Texas unless you get a ticket for driving on expired plates.
Actually, I think there is - they ask you if it's been driven. If you say yes, they assess a penalty...

We're now subject to the same inspection limitations too.

1) Ask your state if they have a "registration only" option. Some states have this for vehicles that are not able to be inspected. It doesn't issue a sticker, but covers the taxes. May require an out-of-state affidavit or there may be an option for vehicles that can't pass inspection, but still need to pay taxes.

2) There may be a limit to the "penalty". For instance, for a classic car that is being restored and hasn't been registered in 5+ years, they're (probably) not going to assess 5+ years of back registration fees. I assume there is some sort of exception/limit.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #55

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Actually, I think there is - they ask you if it's been driven. If you say yes, they assess a penalty...

We're now subject to the same inspection limitations too.

1) Ask your state if they have a "registration only" option. Some states have this for vehicles that are not able to be inspected. It doesn't issue a sticker, but covers the taxes. May require an out-of-state affidavit or there may be an option for vehicles that can't pass inspection, but still need to pay taxes.

2) There may be a limit to the "penalty". For instance, for a classic car that is being restored and hasn't been registered in 5+ years, they're (probably) not going to assess 5+ years of back registration fees. I assume there is some sort of exception/limit.
1) No registration only in NC unless your vehicle is a classic car 35 years old or more. You must have the inspection which is sent to the DMV from the inspection station via the computer system. Vehicles 35 + are not required to have an inspection in NC. Op is stuck, if it was me I would either have a family member or friend that I trust to take my vehicles in for inspection. Then I would pay online for registration & taxes. OR I would fly home & get it all done then fly back.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Note to self; stay away from N.C., far, far away.

Tags
cat