Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2016, 11:52 AM   #29

Since a lot (all?) of dealers miss correcting so many obvious problems you just have to wonder why they charge a dealer prep fee for doing almost nothing.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
The only way it will change is if we quit buying them.
Exactly! Or another player comes on the field. No one, I mean NO ONE would put up with this quality in an automobile. We used to, back in the seventies.
A new player would have to start out with a bare bones RV with excellent fit and finish that would build a reputation. Then gradually expand the line.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I think that's what Nexus is attempting to do.

W.D.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerbill View Post
Since a lot (all?) of dealers miss correcting so many obvious problems you just have to wonder why they charge a dealer prep fee for doing almost nothing.
Isn't that the truth!!

We don't have many complaints from high end coach customers. Same as a rule for the expensive toterhomes. The brands are available. But they are costly. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

That said, it seems like it would be straight forward practice at the factory to QC inspect and checklist things....even if by the operators/line builders. Keep the check sheets for each coach, and address the problems with the person who signed off when the dealer reports warranty issues. Holding people accountable is important.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:52 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
That said, it seems like it would be straight forward practice at the factory to QC inspect and checklist things....even if by the operators/line builders. Keep the check sheets for each coach, and address the problems with the person who signed off when the dealer reports warranty issues. Holding people accountable is important.
That is what Newmar says they do before each coach even leaves the factory.

Regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #34

My solution is a little different than others. Every RV designer, purchasing agent, quality control employee should be required-

Wear a ankle brace on one ankle, put a very tight Ace bandage on each knee, put on a kidney belt or a back brace, wear a tight fitting neck brace, tape the index finger and the middle finger of one hand together, tape the middle finger and ring finger of the other hand together then go thru the motions of a camping trip. Open the power cable storage compartment, pull cable out and hook up power, dump tanks, pull/install pins on landing gear, connect water, move furniture inside, hook/unhook RV, toad etc.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #35

Quote:

If you are paying a dealer prep fee then you need to find a different dealer. That's nothing but added profit to a dealer.

I'm sure I'll get flack for this, but it's interesting to see that the vast majority of those who are complaining about the quality of new units are people who have rigs that are 10, 15, and 20 years old. Most of those that have newer rigs seem to be pretty happy with what they have and the quality they have received.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #36

Quote:
The dealers do next to nothing or nothing for that handsome $1500+ dealer prep fee I paid them on the invoice. They will sell it to you with defects so obvious even a blind person can see them and then just tell you to bring it in and if they can find the time they will take a look at YOUR problem.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I have learned my lesson. Trust me when I say, if and that is a big IF, that if I ever buy another new RV from a dealer, not one nickel will change hands until that RV is shaken down from the front bumper to the tail pipe out the back. As George Costanza famously said, then we will see who has the hand.

If everyone did that, or if way more people did that, the RV industry would change. Dealers would revolt to the manufacturers and demand their junk be fixed before it leaves the factory.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
If you are paying a dealer prep fee then you need to find a different dealer. That's nothing but added profit to a dealer.

I'm sure I'll get flack for this, but it's interesting to see that the vast majority of those who are complaining about the quality of new units are people who have rigs that are 10, 15, and 20 years old. Most of those that have newer rigs seem to be pretty happy with what they have and the quality they have received.
I didn't read it that way. Most of the complaints I was reading were new rigs that just plain weren't right from the get-go.

But even if the complaint is about a 10 year old coach....isn't that valid? Some people are financing these things 15 years or more. If they are buying a $80k to $200k throw away after 10 years, that's disappointing.

There are two aspects to quality. One is being built as intended. Was it put together correctly? The other is being built to last. Is it durable? It would be great to see manufactuers do some revolutionary things to improve both aspects....but that would likely be costly. It would also mean a shift in the RV building culture. They have been operating like this for so long that this is all that their workforce knows.

Just some more thoughts.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #38

To many manufacturers and to many models. Doesn't matter if its a pop up, TT, 5th wheel, class C, A gas or A diesel. I know there has been a big consolidation in recent years with Thor and Forest River buying up all of the popular name plates in the last 20 years or so but why so many variations of the same stuff. This was the same problem for the boating industry during the 1980's glory years. It was easy to take any model out there and use the hull to copy and mold for your no name line of boats. Sell cheap and gain recognition, forcing the main lines to cheapen their product lines to compete. Also just like the boating industry, how many dealers do you have where you live to shop for a potential new RV compared to shopping for a new pick up truck? The few dealers that are in your neck of the woods get cocky and arrogant because they know the are one of the few games in town.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #39

If any of you have ever purchased a newly constructed piece of real estate what is one of the final steps? It's the punch list. That's everything that is not right with the building as it was constructed. That goes for multi million dollar office towers all the way down to the lean-to garage. What are RV's but buildings on wheels. Should we expect perfection right out of the box? Perhaps we can hope for it, but I do think it is unrealistic.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The big difference being, these real estate owners don't loose use of their home for months at a time.
If I buy a 200k house and they have to replace somethings I can still live there. No such luck with your RV.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
The big difference being, these real estate owners don't loose use of their home for months at a time.
If I buy a 200k house and they have to replace somethings I can still live there. No such luck with your RV.
We've never spent more than a night getting service and always slept in our motorhome at night. "Months at a time" is very, very rare.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Before we went full-time, we had a hitch installed. An appointment was made 1 month in advance. It was said it would take 1-2 days at the most. It took 3 weeks. RVs kept getting sold, and mine kept getting pushed back. Fortunately, I wasn't living in it or using it. I kept calling and kept getting excuses.
This is likely to happen anytime you have to bring your RV in for repairs at a place that also sells RVs.
I now only have my vehicle repaired or serviced at repair shops only.

Tags
ems, problems