Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2022, 03:36 PM   #71

[QUOTE=F239141;6260985]Dumbazz four wheelers doing dumb stuff, pretty typical. Im always doing 5 to 15 over the speed limit and they have to pass, then go slower than I was. They did it all the time when i was driving trucks.

They don’t want to go faster - they just want to be first!
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #72

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I do not like being behind ANY large vehicle.....they block distance viewing

I like seeing/knowing what is happening up ahead.

So I pass large trucks, RVs, folks towing etc

And when I am towing my 34' 5th wheel with my long truck I understand and try to allow for passing me
Mr. Biscuit. The solution to not being able to see around a large profile vehicle is to leave more room between you and them. Not to pass them. Just an old truck driver talking who is retired and not in such a hurry that I can't slow down and let the drivers make a living or enjoy their vacation.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Dumbazz four wheelers doing dumb stuff, pretty typical. Im always doing 5 to 15 over the speed limit and they have to pass, then go slower than I was. They did it all the time when i was driving trucks.

On a side note Im not scared to pass someone on a 2 lane when i was driving trucks or now in the motorhome. You will have some dumb four wheeler doing under the limit with 3 cars behind them bumper to bumper and are scared to pass, not me, ill take all 4 in one pass.

I dont like being behind another RV because most people driving them, can even drive a Kia, let alone an RV, and they are normally driving at the speed of smell.

Uncalled for. I'm glad you think you're the only one that knows how to drive. Speeding an unsafe passing. Are you really in that much of a huury?
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The psychology is interesting to me also….. why do people that break the speed laws think they are above the law? Do they also break other laws they do not agree with? Or regularly break laws that they think aren’t being vigorously enforced?
Everyone breaks some law nearly every day. For two reasons: 1) The law is unreasonable, outdated, vague, capricious, and/or not widely known, and 2) there is no army big enough to enforce every law. Speed limit laws are prime examples.

Living in the mountains makes this issue very sensitive to me. I do not care if I am in my RV or a car, above or below the speed limit: if someone catches me I pull over the first chance I get. It is not my place to be sure he goes no faster than me. And it is likely safer for him to drive his speed when there are no other vehicles near him than to chance him making an usafe pass.

Every wreck I have witnessed up here is from an unsafe pass caused by someone with a line of cars behind him and sees no reason to pull over because he is driving the speed limit and the people behind him should not be driving any faster. I call such drivers 'road saviors' they see their mission as saving people from driving too fast.

Most irritating and dangerous is someone that goes 5-10 mph below the speed limit in the curves and then 5-10 mph over the speed limit when ever the road straightens out or there is a passing lane. Second place is those that stay in the fast lane, no matter how many cars have passed him on the right.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:46 PM   #75

Why do they have to pass

A. You block the view of the road ahead.
B. Most RV’s drive slower (or at least they should)
C Just that “get out on my way” syndrome.

I am conscious of vehicles backing up behind me. If at all safe I pull over to let them by. I hate being stuck behind a especially slow truck or RV. When it is not safe or not possible to pass. For goodness sake, lets be conscious of this and let them by!

Interestingly, when I do pull over I rarely get a thanks and some times the opposite. With the exceptions of…………..motorcycles. They usually toot or wave thanks.

Thanks you motorcyclists (of which I am one).
Roadyacht1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:00 PM   #76

Grand Design Owners Club
If I'm faster than you I will pass you when it is safe to do so. If I'm slower then I will give you every opportunity to get by me when it is safe to do so.

BTW, in some states (AK being one) if you are the lead of five or more vehicles in line you are REQUIRED to move over and let them pass.

I think @Dougallman was hinting at this in #68, But my main problem when driving my old class C was when people disregarded my vehicle's stopping abilities and pulled out in front of me...then didn't accelerate.
Rhody_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 04:41 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadyacht1 View Post
A. You block the view of the road ahead.
B. Most RV’s drive slower (or at least they should)
C Just that “get out on my way” syndrome.

I am conscious of vehicles backing up behind me. If at all safe I pull over to let them by. I hate being stuck behind a especially slow truck or RV. When it is not safe or not possible to pass. For goodness sake, lets be conscious of this and let them by!

Interestingly, when I do pull over I rarely get a thanks and some times the opposite. With the exceptions of…………..motorcycles. They usually toot or wave thanks.

Thanks you motorcyclists (of which I am one).

Motorcyclists are among the most friendly sharing the road. I not longer have the TT, but still have the boat. I pull over even if one vehicle is behind me. No skin off my nose and takes little effort to let someone move on ahead. Might even be good karma, who knows. The good news is I'm given the friendly toot or waive more often that not.

I think a big part of the problem is those who refuse to use the turnouts or allow others to pass, no matter what. Only takes a few to give MH drivers a bad rap.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:20 PM   #78

Hate being tailgated

Out here in Idaho driving my 34 foot MH it’s mostly mountain roads with a drop off to a river on one side. The traffic tends to stack up behind me and really ride my tail. I get anxious about people pushing me. I always slow to take the turns at the suggested speed. My wife always calls them out because it terrifies her to tears if I go too fast. She tells me to not worry about the tailgaters but it just really bothers me. When I get more than three I’m constantly looking for a good spot to pull over and let them by. Sometimes I get waves and others I get the finger. I figure it’s my safety first but I know how annoying it can be to be behind an RV on a mountain road.
srballantyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:25 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
I learned a long time ago that I can only drive my vehicle. It’s too hard
and tiring to drive everyone else’s.

I read on here a lot from retired people who constantly say to slow down and they are in no hurry. Not bad advice, but getting passed is going to be a result of not going with the flow of traffic.

Semi related, years ago I drove into central Mexico. We were told if we came upon a slower moving truck the common practice was the truck driver would put on the left turn signal if it was safe to pass. Of course we were also told the truck driver might be putting it on because he was about to turn left. We called it playing Mexican roulette.
I remember that being practiced here in the states when I was a young driver. No CB;s, no cell-phones, just signaled each other with light flashes. Three headlamp bright/dim flashes meant there was a speed trap ahead of the oncoming truck. I can't remember the rest.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #80

Following

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicus View Post
I get the need to "see ahead" for safety reasons. But, if the vehicle is traveling at the speed limit and you are following at a safe distance, then what is the rationale to pass? The only one I see is the need to be in front...
I have a 45' and with toad I'm a shade over 67'. I also drive charter buses. Doesn't make any difference what you're driving, cars just have to be upfront. Everytime you pass you are risking a collision but I digress because they will continue.....
wbljml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:37 PM   #81

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
The ones that really bother me are the ones that will pass me and then slow down to 1-2 mph slower than I was going, or the ones that will pass in a dangerous fashion going around a blind curve, or over a hill only to turn off onto a side road within the next minute.
Ditto! That’s what my air horn is for.
robertlipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:41 PM   #82

Be careful with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertlipp View Post
Ditto! That’s what my air horn is for.
I loved it when I had an air horn on my vehicle- a motorcycle no less, but I found I had to be careful with that! My experience was that they'll mash the brake not matter where they are in the road. Blast it at someone crossing in front of you they're liable to stop in the middle of the intersection. They're turning right? Stop in the middle of the turn.
MSGDLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:08 PM   #83

I drove Entertainer Coaches for over 250,000 miles, retired and bought a 45 Foot Prevost Motorhome. In my opinion I am carrying "Precious Cargo" I am in command of my Brake Pedal and Fuel Pedal. People are free to Follow or Pass Me just as long as they do not put us in danger. When cruising my bus has a "Happy Spot " of 73 MPH where everything harmonizes. If the speed limit is above 75 MPH I am holding up traffic on the interstate and everyone passes me, I also keep a safe distance from what ever is in front of me which means that if you cut in too close I will relax a bit on the Fuel Feed as My "Precious Cargo" must have a smoooth ride. I have found that when going from Point "A" to "B" all of the speed records have been set, my goal is to get to our destination Safely. I also stay away from Big Trucks as they whip in and out of traffic and Tail Gate ( I scare easily). It takes me a "10 Count" to change lanes from when I turn on the Blinker, 3 blinks then start, 7 blinks to completion, "Precious Cargo" never knew I changed lanes.
JimDross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:27 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawten5 View Post
Not me. I like to draft so close you can count my nose hairs in your rear camera
Driving my '69 VW bus, I tried to draft as much as possible, but many truckers don't like! One March night, going west through Kansas, there was a constant cross-wind SO bad I couldn't even do 45! Drafted any trucks I could as long as I could, but most just pulled ahead. The worst drive I EVER made!
mogul264 is offline   Reply With Quote