Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2022, 09:54 PM   #85

Tiffin Owners Club
Need to pass

I'm guilty of it too. If conditions warrant, I like to drive about 70 mph in either of our cars. While driving the rig, I'll drive safe and if someone needs to pass, "good on 'em", I'll stay out of their way.
troberts23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2022, 02:26 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDross View Post
I drove Entertainer Coaches for over 250,000 miles, retired and bought a 45 Foot Prevost Motorhome. In my opinion I am carrying "Precious Cargo" I am in command of my Brake Pedal and Fuel Pedal. People are free to Follow or Pass Me just as long as they do not put us in danger. When cruising my bus has a "Happy Spot " of 73 MPH where everything harmonizes. If the speed limit is above 75 MPH I am holding up traffic on the interstate and everyone passes me, I also keep a safe distance from what ever is in front of me which means that if you cut in too close I will relax a bit on the Fuel Feed as My "Precious Cargo" must have a smoooth ride. I have found that when going from Point "A" to "B" all of the speed records have been set, my goal is to get to our destination Safely. I also stay away from Big Trucks as they whip in and out of traffic and Tail Gate ( I scare easily). It takes me a "10 Count" to change lanes from when I turn on the Blinker, 3 blinks then start, 7 blinks to completion, "Precious Cargo" never knew I changed lanes.

Thank you for a professionals point of view.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:07 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
I don't mind following truck when there is limited traffic and the truck driver is driving at reasonable speed. I try to be courteous if they need to pass. If a truck needs to change lanes I do what I can to help.

But if I get into dense traffic I want to be able to see as far ahead as possible and having a big truck in front of me just doesn't work.

Last November Thanksgiving weekend while I was headed east on I40 traffic was crazy. I always try to leave a lot of space in front of me for braking, no telling how many times a small vehicle zipped around and pulled in front of me as traffic was slowing down and/or at time coming to a complete stop. It was bumper to bumper so do where to go except the ditch if something happened.

At one point traffic was moving along but as I crested a hill the traffic was at a dead stop and there was a patrol car driving towards me on the left shoulder with lights flashing. I reached down and turned on my flashers hoping to give people behind me warning. Had to do a really fast stop, didn't lock the wheels but it was white knuckle time. I'm sure it helped prevent an accident. A little while later a semi pulled up beside me and the drive gave me a thumbs up, I assume for providing a warning.

That was some white knuckle driving.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:39 AM   #88

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicus View Post
I could do the speed limit (or just a hair over) and drivers (almost exclusively of cars) felt they needed to pass me, whether it be a two-lane country road, the crest of a hill, or on a winding road up a mountain. In most instances I was not traveling more than 5 miles below the speed limit.
I agree with everybody who has said people like to be able to see forward, past the vehicle immediately in front of them.

But, there are a certain number of drivers out there who feel like they MUST go 5-19 MPH over the speed limit, no matter where they are or where they are going. If you're not going at least 5 over, you are a total annoyance to them.

My dad used to say, "don't worry about that guy. We'll see the cops scraping him off the road with a spatula when we get a little farther down the road."
Old 08-05-2022, 10:21 AM   #89

When I'm pulling our 5th wheel toy hauler, I go pretty close to the speed suggestion, but when I'm not? I try to stay within 20 mph or the speed suggestion and definitely below 80 mph, because of my Allstate Drivewise app. So, if I were behind you and you were going under the speed suggestion or--worse yet--even slower, I'd HAVE to pass you, as long as it was safe to do so.
BikesAndGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #90

The old saying, ďNo one wants to be behind a busĒ and I was a charter driver, with speeds beyond limits. Still, they will pass.
hokie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:19 PM   #91

Tiffin Owners Club
Passing

Quote:
Just got back from Yellowstone NP, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington State, etc. and couldn't help but notice that folks just had to pass me no matter the speed I was traveling. I could do the speed limit (or just a hair over) and drivers (almost exclusively of cars) felt they needed to pass me, whether it be a two-lane country road, the crest of a hill, or on a winding road up a mountain. In most instances I was not traveling more than 5 miles below the speed limit.

It raised the question for me: Why do they feel the need to pass me? Is it the fact that I'm pulling a 30+' travel trailer and they can't see around me well?

Any thoughts or shared experiences?
Having driven everything from Trucks to my current 40' motorhome I can say that is is just natural to not be in some ones blind spot. I am the same way when I drive my truck, I don't want to be where I cant see down the road. Driving under the speed limit creates a dangerous situation with impatient people trying to get around you in unsafe places. Drive the speed limit when you can and it is safe and take every opportunity to let people around you. Besides that car that just cut you off makes a good cushion.
rvspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 03:45 PM   #92

Quote:
Just got back from Yellowstone NP, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington State, etc. and couldn't help but notice that folks just had to pass me no matter the speed I was traveling.
I can certainly relate. I can drive on California I-5 at 70 mph, maybe a little more and every vehicle has to pass me and then, especially at night, dive-bomb me. Itís like there is some undisclosed contest to see who can pass me in the fast lane, then dive-bomb into the slow lane and see who can get the closest to my front bumper. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by srballantyne View Post
Out here in Idaho driving my 34 foot MH itís mostly mountain roads with a drop off to a river on one side. The traffic tends to stack up behind me and really ride my tail. I get anxious about people pushing me. I always slow to take the turns at the suggested speed. My wife always calls them out because it terrifies her to tears if I go too fast. She tells me to not worry about the tailgaters but it just really bothers me. When I get more than three Iím constantly looking for a good spot to pull over and let them by. Sometimes I get waves and others I get the finger. I figure itís my safety first but I know how annoying it can be to be behind an RV on a mountain road.
If someone wants to go faster than me, I'll accommodate them. But, like you say, there are some roads that don't allow that. Hwy 1 in N. California is a good example. Two lanes. Mostly narrow. Winding. Slow. Turnouts spaced pretty far apart. Impatient people should avoid it! Lol.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I can certainly relate. I can drive on California I-5 at 70 mph, maybe a little more and every vehicle has to pass me and then, especially at night, dive-bomb me. Itís like there is some undisclosed contest to see who can pass me in the fast lane, then dive-bomb into the slow lane and see who can get the closest to my front bumper. -RT

I'm on I-5 from SF to LA all the time. If you are spending much time in the left lane doing 70 then you are in the wrong lane. . I used to be with the 85-90 mph group in the left lane. Over time I've learned to slow down and set the cruise control somewhere between 65 & 70. I'm pretty much in the right lane except for passing the commercial trucks. It does add to my travel time, but a lot less stress because I don't have to compete with the knuckleheads jockying all over the place.

The dive bombng part I don't understand. It is a wonder there aren't more accidents with all the tailgating and cutting in and out. The clowns don't understand they owe you for being alert and avoiding them.

PS: I sure hope they reopen the rest stops soon. We kind of had our regular ones pegged for letting the dog stretch her legs.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #95

I let them pass. I have eyes on everyone around me at all times so I get very few surprises and I can tell how drivers are before they get to me.

I like to hang with big trucks because they know the roads far better than I do so I like to keep one or 2 in eye shot. I don't draft them because I'm hauling heavy too and frankly they probably stop better than I do. I keep my distance and just tag along...they're another source of information for me. That's a double edged sword though because they like to pass when there's no shoulder and concrete barriers. I can maintain my lane but at the end of the day I'm not a pro driver so it makes me really uncomfortable when they do that. I also see more than a few drivers that shouldn't be drivers for a living....some are down right reckless.
Old 08-05-2022, 04:33 PM   #96

Last time I was in the states you mention, average traffic was 20mph above the speed limit. If you were doing the limit or five below...man you were certainly holding back the flow.
blueridgedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
The California speed limit on the interstate is 65 normally; a few sections 70. Two-lane is 55.

Seems to be a lot of speeders in California.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 06:53 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
I learned a long time ago that I can only drive my vehicle. Itís too hard
and tiring to drive everyone elseís.

I read on here a lot from retired people who constantly say to slow down and they are in no hurry. Not bad advice, but getting passed is going to be a result of not going with the flow of traffic.

Semi related, years ago I drove into central Mexico. We were told if we came upon a slower moving truck the common practice was the truck driver would put on the left turn signal if it was safe to pass. Of course we were also told the truck driver might be putting it on because he was about to turn left. We called it playing Mexican roulette.
I remember years ago reading a newspaper article about a terrible accident that took place in Mexico. Apparently it was common practice when driving at night, on curvy narrow roads, to turn off the headlights in order to see oncoming traffic ahead of time. Unfortunately in this instance two buses loaded with passengers both had their headlights off and collided rounding a curve.
Jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote