Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2021, 01:45 AM   #15

We'll be bailing out the banks again. When it comes, they're gonna really take it in the shorts.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2021, 05:49 AM   #16

I've been sayng for a while that next year there will be a lot of lightly used RV's hitting the market and dealer lots will be full as manufactures catchup on production and demand drops.

Many people will find that RV'ing is not for them...... like the family of 4 trapped in a sardine can while it rains all weekend. Or people who didn't realize they had to deal with a black tank. Or people who didn't realize you always have someting to fix.

Then there is the cost of fuel that is up over $1/gallon from a year ago and they find it too expensive to venure out beyond local campgrounds.

There are also people who were working from home who decided to work from an RV and now they have to go back to the office.

Then factor in the demand right now for airline travel as people want to go back to planes and hotels for their recreation.

In 2022, I suspect there will be a lot of inventory and prices will fall as demand drops and more people get back to the way their lives were. But there will be some new people who find they like it and stick around.
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:40 AM   #17

I've been "fadding it" for a few decades and will be happy when a lot of the "newly arrived" get tired of this type travel and go back to flying and hotels. I generally have made reservations in the past but I also tend to not go the overly popular locations. We're in Maggie Valley NC at an out of the way park with reservations made 2 weeks ago. Enjoying mid 70's and nights 60. No air conditioner running and no rain for the time being. At home in LA, Lower Alabama, it's hot, humid and raining.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Gardiner View Post
For me the fad has been going on since I camped with my parents at age 1.
For my wife age 16. We got back into it in 2018 with my parents 96 Flair. We've used the RV for camping, and baseball tournaments for our son. During the pandemic we use the RV as a restaurant, getting hot food with curbside delivery.

For us its a fad, that keeps evolving. Will say however, hopefully the RV traffic gets a bit lighter, or more campgrounds are built. Making reservations 6-12 months in advance in not always much fun. Miss the 1990's when getting a camp site (last second) was almost never a problem.
Before COVID we used our state park campgrounds a couple of times/year. Even then it was tough to find openings without a lot of advance planning. At least that is how it has been for the past several years. COVID aside, with the popularity of campgrounds, I would sure like to see our state build more. It is one of those tax expenditures that is pro-family, no matter their economic status. Sadly, I think these days most of our state park dollars end up lining the pocket of consultants.

Like others, I expect demand will diminish as things start to open back up. I don't expect last minute vacancies to be the norm. At least not out here in California with 70 million folks visiting state parks annually (not all campers of course).
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:14 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, until 5 years ago. We almost never made reservations. Walkin and save the reservation fee.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #20

Although we have owned several RVs when we were younger, before COVID-19, we had planned to travel extensively throughout Europe. We actually had a trip booked that we cancelled. So we bought a new TT instead so DW could visit all the national parks and we could see our grandchildren. Iím sure a lot of other retired folks like us bought for the same reason. For people our age, there wonít be any pressing reasons to sell (other than death) after the pandemic threat is gone.

At the same time younger folks with kids still wanted to take vacations with their kids, and an RV seemed to be the answer. Many of those buyers will become sellers when things get back to normal. Theyíll find that they no longer want the monthly expense of owning an RV, especially if they financed the purchase.

IMHO, the industry benefitted from the Covid induced demand surge, but quality and volume suffered from Covid induced shortages of labor, parts, and materials. That all translates to higher prices. I donít think manufacturers are making the killing many think they are. If costs are higher, and units out the door are lower because of shortages, itís harder to bank the demand surge. When normalcy returns, prices of new cannot go down, although dealers may discount more because theyíll be competing with a glut of lightly used RVs hitting the market.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #21

Lightly Used

What is the definition of lightly use? I think all of us can remember our first year of using our Rv. How many of us made stupid mistakes and remained on a learning curve for years. Now you have all these first time buyers/ renters tearing the crap out of Rv that already has quality issues because of lack of QCI (PDI), no available service, lightly used? I think not.
Tuscany3680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany3680 View Post
What is the definition of lightly use? I think all of us can remember our first year of using our Rv. How many of us made stupid mistakes and remained on a learning curve for years. Now you have all these first time buyers/ renters tearing the crap out of Rv that already has quality issues because of lack of QCI (PDI), no available service, lightly used? I think not.

Perhaps lightly used, reasonably mis-used and grossly lacking in preventive maintenance.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:54 PM   #23

I'm curious to learn how the op knows bitcoin is a fad?
doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleplay View Post
I'm curious to learn how the op knows bitcoin is a fad?
Could be just an assumption based on it not qualifying as legal tender.
Anywhere, worldwide.
Some limited retailers are set up to accept it, but do any nations recognize it as legal tender?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #25

Not even close to a fad. The recent uptick in sales is out of desperation for some to be able to be free of their homes. A fad is something short lived.
The last 10 years has seen a boom.

https://rvbusiness.com/surge-in-rv-d...-for-a-decade/
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:05 PM   #26

Man I hope you are correct! Just visited the largest W dealer in N America, he has 3 demonstrators on a 3 acre lot. Crazy wacko!
16Navion24g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge64 View Post
I've been sayng for a while that next year there will be a lot of lightly used RV's hitting the market and dealer lots will be full as manufactures catchup on production and demand drops.

Many people will find that RV'ing is not for them...... like the family of 4 trapped in a sardine can while it rains all weekend. Or people who didn't realize they had to deal with a black tank. Or people who didn't realize you always have someting to fix.

Then there is the cost of fuel that is up over $1/gallon from a year ago and they find it too expensive to venure out beyond local campgrounds.

There are also people who were working from home who decided to work from an RV and now they have to go back to the office.

Then factor in the demand right now for airline travel as people want to go back to planes and hotels for their recreation.

In 2022, I suspect there will be a lot of inventory and prices will fall as demand drops and more people get back to the way their lives were. But there will be some new people who find they like it and stick around.

Totally agree. Those that jumped on the wagon saw it as a way to still vacation, but neglected to see the long term consequences.

Now they have a large payment book, a second vehicle to maintain, and a completely different lifestyle to try and get used to.

All for something they may use 2 or 3 times a year. Then find a place to store it.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #28

Do Not Apply Unless You Can DIY

We traveled a lot during COVID 2020 and just got back from a 3,000 mile West Coast run. We met a lot of people who were new to it and trying it as an option to flying. Many did not venture far from home. It will be a fad for most of those people and their RV's will be cast aside as soon as flying comes back. The real obstacle for these types is that they have no idea what is involved in owning and operating an RV, especially if it is not a TT. You need to be an almost pro level DIYer to keep both the chassis and the house working right. If you can't troubleshoot both your car and your house, you are likely barking up the wrong tree and likely won't be here for long.

The tech write ups I see here are evidence of how good this pro RV crowd really is. My hat is off to all! They are the ones who have been here and will continue to be here. Some call us toxically male. I call us guys who can fix stuff. Funny though how people's definitions change when you are stuck on some desolate road with no cell service.
ExitStrategy is offline   Reply With Quote