Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #1

The Scarcity of RV Service this Summer

After years of motorhome and fifth wheel ownership, I've come to the realization that this may be a good time to get out of RVing for a while. The reason I feel this way has everything to do with the difficulty in finding an RV service center that isn't booked months in advance. This is the result of all the new RVs on the road this summer ó service departments nationwide are overwhelmed. I learned this out the hard way recently, but at least I'm close to home and I can wait. Others may not be so fortunate. Just loading up and heading out on the road is risky this summer when you consider the very real possibility that you might end up returning home while your RV sits a few hundred miles away awaiting repairs. The further we get into the summer, the worse the service options seem to become. With used prices sky-high, this might be the moment to take a few years off until things return to normal.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2021, 05:09 PM   #2

You need to get out of the Tucson heat! Go up to Flagstaff or Pinetop.

I would think RV repair facilities would fit in a traveler. I've never heard of a traveler stranded for months.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 06:02 PM   #3

Not sure what living in Tucson has to do with my post, just finished building a home here and see no reason to leave.
Old 06-16-2021, 06:09 PM   #4

The service centers are too busy fixing "brand new" RVs...
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:53 AM   #5

Most RV appliances are dirt simple. You can download the service manuals for most of the from the manufacturers website. They usually have step by step troubleshooting guide and a list of special tools needed. I find that I can fix most things faster myself than I can find an RV tech to come look at it.
Teamfoxy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You have a trailer!!!! What would need to happen for you to be stuck.....maybe an axle fall off? Worse case scenario......you leave your trailer for repair and drive home. You make it sound like some disaster is going to strike your trailer this summer, just because service shops are busy. With a trailer, you can probably go 20 years without having something serious enough happen to end a trip.

It sounds more like you're trying to rally support for YOUR desire to sell.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:41 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You have a trailer!!!! What would need to happen for you to be stuck.....maybe an axle fall off? Worse case scenario......you leave your trailer for repair and drive home. You make it sound like some disaster going to strike your trailer this summer, just because service shops are busy. With trailer, you can probably go 20 years without having something serious enough to end a trip.

It sounds more like you're trying to get people to help you justify YOUR desire to sell.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #8

I donít recall the last time I was at an RV Service Center. I do all my own work on my coach. It gets done on my time and, itís done right the first time. If I could not do my own repairs I would not own an RV since service centers in my area are booked out months. I could lose an entire summer waiting on some repairs.
ThunderRidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmck101 View Post
Not sure what living in Tucson has to do with my post, just finished building a home here and see no reason to leave.
What I meant was to take a trip out of the heat and don't worry about being stranded. If you don't want to RV then yes, sell it. But it shouldn't be because of worrying about repairs. Vacationers aren't stranded or you'd be reading about it. If the service repair place knows you're local and just dropping off your RV for repairs then, yes, you'll probably be waiting for a while to get them done.
Old 06-17-2021, 11:50 AM   #10

I haven't repaired campers for a living but I have been in automotive repair work for a good many years. At every place I've worked when it's been said that people are stranded traveling a long way from home they get bumped up to top priority. Second only to emergency response vehicles. Not a written rule, just what everyone working there felt was the right way to behave.
I guess I have to say I've only worked at pretty respectable places. There are certainly lower class repair shops I haven't worked for and wouldn't work for that do whatever they want.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:19 PM   #11

I'm with ThunderRidge..I'm on my 4th RV (motorhome) in 23 years..to 2 gas & then moved on to DP's. I dug into each one of them to learn all their systems so to not be reliant on outside services & stranded on the hwy. as much as possible. When I moved into diesel's a whole new learning curve but dug in like sponge to get these complicated machines tamed when they don't want to nice...which hasn't happened for me yet. A whole lot of PM on all of my rigs has prevented any major need for outside services. I like hands on then I know it's done right since the RV service industry has its's fair share of iffy work done & at a premium price. The going hourly rate these days is incredible but it's also supply & demand I guess. I also do my own work on my Volvo..2 Honda motorcycles..boat & waverunner...but I must say these vehicles also get the same love & PM I give my '04 American Eagle to minimize downtime..so far so good!
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I haven't repaired campers for a living but I have been in automotive repair work for a good many years. At every place I've worked when it's been said that people are stranded traveling a long way from home they get bumped up to top priority. Second only to emergency response vehicles. Not a written rule, just what everyone working there felt was the right way to behave.
I guess I have to say I've only worked at pretty respectable places. There are certainly lower class repair shops I haven't worked for and wouldn't work for that do whatever they want.
Good for you and the company you worked for. When talking to RVers who had serious mechanical issues this is what we've been told.... they were given priority if traveling. There are some good people out there!
Old 06-17-2021, 03:16 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Not being able to get service at a RV dealer or center is not new. Especially if you did not purchase the rig from them.

We find that using mobile RV services work much better and we can get a tech out within a day or two when we can't fix the problem ourselves.
momdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #14

My self-taught & gained knowledge of the innerworkings's of an RV has had nothing to do with anything close to working in a mechanical workshop or the RV industry. I was in the music business in form or another most of my life & later opened a Media Production Studio in downtown Chicago. I'd have to say my Dad was my mentor & knew his way around the physical automotive workings & heavy machinery & a Master mechanic for Ford most of his life before retiring. He was the biggest DIY guy I ever knew..he could fix anything! Miss you DAD!!
groveln is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service