Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 05:47 AM   #1

The Volcano Grill

Just about ready to pull the trigger on a Volcano grill. I don't want to drag my Weber around in the mh and this looks like a great little unit. Especially like the dutch oven capability as I use my dutch oven a lot.
So I thought I would run it by the membership here to see if someone can give me some first hand experience reviews.

Amazon.com : Volcano 3 Collapsible Cook Stove : Sports & Outdoors
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:23 AM   #2

Looks interesting and only 18 pounds. We use a portable Weber Q grill and that thing weighs 30+ pounds. Keep us posted if you do get one.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:49 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I have one but I think I have only used it twice - just laziness at learning something new. I will look forward to seeing what others think too.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #4

I got a $50 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my wallet so I'm going to spring for this along with a Magma cookware set. Spring isn't that far away (hopefully) so it may be a little while before I get to use it. I have been spending the winter spreading out the cost of outfitting the new to us mh.

But I will post about my first impressions when it arrives and when I use it.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #5

We have a Cobb grill (the smaller one). Works very well.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North View Post
I got a $50 Amazon gift card burning a hole in my wallet so I'm going to spring for this along with a Magma cookware set. Spring isn't that far away (hopefully) so it may be a little while before I get to use it. I have been spending the winter spreading out the cost of outfitting the new to us mh.

But I will post about my first impressions when it arrives and when I use it.
Shoot, I've been known to shovel a path to the grill just to use the BBQ at home!
Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Shoot, I've been known to shovel a path to the grill just to use the BBQ at home!
I'm a avid griller and wood fired smoker and I'm with you I don't let winter stop me from doing either. I will surely give this unit a test run before our first camping trip. I'm interested in finding out how it works with the dutch oven. Dutch oven cooking is very specific about the number of coals needed on the top and the bottom of a dutch oven to achieve a specific temperature.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have one. I use it mainly for grilling and it works great. i haven't tried it for anything more elaborate than grilling so I can't speak to how the dutch oven part works. Works great for steaks, burgers, pork chops, chicken, etc.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I have had a Volcano for several years, bought it especially for the MH because of its compactness and ability to use charcoal, wood or propane. It mostly get used for griling although I have done some DO cooking and have used the propane burner on a number of occasions. It is not large but last week-end I grilled three large T-Bones with ease. I would suggest getting the full set that includes the propane kit and Kevlar cover both very handy to have. It is a little messy to store in the bag after a while so I just use a small plastic tub to store it.

All I can say is if this one wears out I will buy another.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

I have one I'd gladly sell you if we lived close!

For me (5'1" woman), that thing is a chunk to carry around. The worse part, for me, is dumping it. UGH - it's so heavy and awkward. The 18# does not include the stuff for the gas hook up.
mitch5252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch5252 View Post
I have one I'd gladly sell you if we lived close!

For me (5'1" woman), that thing is a chunk to carry around. The worse part, for me, is dumping it. UGH - it's so heavy and awkward. The 18# does not include the stuff for the gas hook up.

Sounds like what you need is a RV with a pull out BBQ center! Perfect solution.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post

Sounds like what you need is a RV with a pull out BBQ center! Perfect solution.
Thanks for the welcome!

I have all the trailer I can handle - dang WD bars are 17 lbs EACH. So, I'll stick with my little Smokey Joe, which handles the DO and regular grilling pretty good.

Again, thanks for the welcome! Stay Warm...not so easy in the mid-south lately! Brrrrrr...
mitch5252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #13

One of the best RV's we ever owned was a 1978 Starcraft Pop Up trailer with the swing out kitchen. We traveled many many miles crisscrossing this beautiful country with the girls in that thing. Then the girls grew up and started their own lives so we decided on getting a 35 foot motorhome! Funny the motorhome seems small to the two of us now! I guess I will continue to lug that 40 pound Weber grill out from time to time. Maybe I can come up with a Pete's special BBQ hydraulic lift to help these old bones when it comes time to grill! Yea, that will give me something to do while I wait for this 16 inches of snow to melt!