Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2022, 10:39 PM   #1

Theft and Break ins while on the road?

Just curious if any of you have stories you'd be willing to share about somebody stealing your rig or breaking into it or whatever.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2022, 10:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Never happened to me and we don’t even lock our RV and other stuff up. Of course, we’ve only been RVing for 20 years. So, never say never.

I have insurance for theft on my house, car and RV.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:31 AM   #3

Never had my RV broken into.

We lock up everything while traveling, fuel stops, restaurants, etc.

Lock the front door at camp sites, don't bother locking up the outside storage.
The hatch doors are more valuable than anything I've got stored in there.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:48 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Just curious if any of you have stories you'd be willing to share about somebody stealing your rig or breaking into it or whatever.
We've never had an issue at a RV Park, Rest Stop or Truck Stop. Like creative we've only been doing this a decade.

From hotels that's a different story, I've had a truck and cargo trailer stolen and have been broken into a couple of times. Hotels are far, far worse.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:53 AM   #5

Had a cooler stolen off the picnic table. Nearly 50 years ago in a TX state park. This isn't something you need to worry too much about.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:02 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have been very blessed to not have trouble with losses due to thievery.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:02 AM   #7

Had a cooler full of adult beverages stolen by kids once in Pensacola. BIL had his broken in to at his storage lot. They also hit about 20 other rv's at the same time.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:13 AM   #8

Had my dogs beach wagon stolen the only night I left it out. I understand they steal wagons so they can steal coolers. Someone posted a electrified rat traps. I’d like to make one that would give thieves a shocking experience.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Never happened to me and we don’t even lock our RV and other stuff up. Of course, we’ve only been RVing for 20 years. So, never say never.

I have insurance for theft on my house, car and RV.
I used to think the same way. Never locked anything, cars, campers, house, shed,,, anything. Then one morning I walked out to find the back of the Jeep open and my tool box and other items scattered on the lawn. One of the front doors was also open along with the ashtray where I kept my change. The change was the only thing missing so I knew it was kid(s). Turned out they stole silly stuff from other unlocked cars in the neighborhood too.

I didn't lose any anything expensive but I realize it could have been my good tools that could have been stolen or something else expensive. I have insurance but I'm proactive now days and I'm not going to make it too easy for the goofballs out there. If it has a lock, it gets locked!

On your last sentence,, I wonder if insurance could ask if you had it locked, and if you said no, might try to deny the claim?

Edited to answer the OP: While camping in a state park many years ago, had cooler full of food stolen. We have had masked bandits try to break into our cooler a couple of other times but they didn't manage to get in because we made sure to be proactive and tie the lids down.
Old 05-15-2022, 07:52 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd sure argue with the insurance company that leaving doors unlocked is not an invite to trespass and steal items.

Regarding the post on door larches more valuable, I tend to agree. All a thief needs is a large screwdriver and pop the door open. Makes traveling the next day slightly more difficult.

Locks are for honest people.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Had my dogs beach wagon stolen the only night I left it out. I understand they steal wagons so they can steal coolers. Someone posted a electrified rat traps. I’d like to make one that would give thieves a shocking experience.
Electrified rat trap...too funny...BUT, I am no Attorney but I I do know if you set a "trap" and someone is injured you may be in deep crap...Like the guy in FL who set a "trap" in his kitchen after multiple burglaries. Shotgun in a chair with a trip rope on the door. The burglar was killed I think, the guy lost his house and everything else. Maybe jailtime, don't remember but I did file that in my "don't do this memory bank" ,,, as much as I would like to make thieves pay. Hate thieves )
Ttommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'd sure argue with the insurance company that leaving doors unlocked is not an invite to trespass and steal items.

Regarding the post on door larches more valuable, I tend to agree. All a thief needs is a large screwdriver and pop the door open. Makes traveling the next day slightly more difficult.

Locks are for honest people.
I agree that most locks are for the more honest. But, it can be someone that isn't even thinking about stealing but then sees something they like, that's easy to grab, and feel they deserve it more than its owner.

I'd hate for my RV compartment door to be ruined by a thief as it'd probably cost more to repair/replace than the stuff inside that was stolen. Still, I figure the odds are greater that it's a person trying the locks and then moving on when they don't budge. These kinds of thieves want that quick and easy grab.

My kayak comes to mind. It laying out in the campsite during the night is certainly an item that an unscrupulous someone might like to have. Because I know there's a slight chance it can happen, I use a bicycle lock to keep it from walking off. Sure, it isn't much but it's definitely a deterrent to someone that's in a hurry.

Honestly though, my comments are for that "you just never know". The cooler incident I mentioned in my first post is the only instance of theft that I can remember. People are generally honest. At the same time though, it sure doesn't hurt to deter the potential crime of opportunity that would mess up a camping trip.
Old 05-15-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be darned if you do, and darned if you don't. You are correct, "You just never know!"

It is up to each individual to determine what gives the peace of mind. I personally lock the bay doors and the entrance door when we leave. I don't use the dead bolt for reasons of my own. Besides I have a key fob entry for everything so it's easy to just push a button.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 12:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
No need to argue - read your policy. It's a contract, the insurer doesn't get to make it up as they go along.

Unless you're dealing with a very shady company, it's also a multi-state filed form, which are generally very lenient.

I spent a career in the insurance industry and while the industry is very deserving of its crappy reputation, much of what I read online is just wrong.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote