Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 07:53 AM   #71
US1

Only theft I've ever had was from my work truck park in front of my house some 25 yrs ago. Never any issues while camping or traveling so far
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 08:19 AM   #72

We have been RVing over 25 years, 6 years full time. Never had anything stolen.
AndyMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #73

Given the demographics of your average RVer I don't worry much about theft. Most are in the 50s to 70s age group. An awful lot seem to be vets. No doubt that there are many guns in many hands. Campers spend an awful lot of time doing nothing but watching other campers & their campsites.

Somehow I think it wold be very foolish for thieves to work a CG with so many eyes & guns about.

With that said I am also aware of the demographics of the area. Unfortunately some areas are less secure than others. The more rural the better. If a CG has a closing gate system I am also locking up, for whatever RV locks are worth.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:30 AM   #74

State Park Theft

Back in the 'olden days' before all campsites had to be reserved months in advance we stayed in a Wisconsin state park. To mark the site as 'taken' we would leave 2 orange traffic cones in the pad. Returning one afternoon 1 was missing. The host had seen our neighbor walk over grab the cone and head out. . . Must have been truly desperate if they couldn't buy a $7 cone!
Thought about calling the state police since the host had their name, license plate, etc. But, figured the police had more important thing to do.
Brian O
Brian O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:41 AM   #75
Commercial Member

i had the pins on my tow bar pulled one time.. i would have lost my toad if i didnt do my walk around every time i get out of the coach. its an old habit from working for at&t as a driver.
i found them tossed under the rv. motorcycle parked by me in the rv parking section of flying j was the suspect. returned the favor.
have had more trouble at fmca rallies when someone borrows my tools while working on a coach on the grounds.
one of our guys had his tool kit stolen.
good locks make good friends.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:48 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
Just curious if any of you have stories you'd be willing to share about somebody stealing your rig or breaking into it or whatever.
Like many others, we have never had anything stolen at a campground or fenced storage facility. It could happen, but we don't make it easy. We lock doors and bins whenever they will be unattended. Same for our cars. At home we keep our cars in the garage. We live in the Tampa Bay area where teens steeling cars for joy-rides is widespread. However, almost all of these vehicles were unlocked and have the keys/fob inside. Similarly, recent police data for our area revealed that about 80% of the illegal guns on the streets were stolen from unlocked vehicles. Just use the locks - it only takes a second to engage them. PS - when our RV is in storage, we lock both the door and deadbolt locks. There are many keys circulating that will fit our door lock, but not many thieves would have keys for both locks.
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:40 AM   #77

Mid Atlantic Campers
Tucson, are you ever going to get on the road? Don’t mean to be harsh but it seems like you are fishing for reasons not to.
MDFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:56 AM   #78

11 years of "summer-long RV runs", with no thefts and just one strange encounter: A guy followed us for about 75 miles, including stops and starts to see if it was coincidence. We finally made another stop and walked our dog in plain view. He drove off.

However, we did witness the aftermath of several bike thefts few years ago. Thieves with compact high-leverage bolt cutters snipping lock cables and taking bikes off the RV or toad racks in the wee hours. The RV park is a 10 minute walk from a small west coast town, in one of our (still) all-time favorite spots. We checked with the security guys and they said it was a common occurance. Last we heard, the park and the campers were deterring these thefts with small battery powered motion-sensor lights and alarms.
NO ETA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:31 PM   #79
JVH

Send a message via ICQ to JVH Send a message via AIM to JVH Send a message via Yahoo to JVH Send a message via Skype™ to JVH
Never had anything stolen.
Worst that ever happened, Down near Tulsa I pulled into a rest stop to fix dinner. Lady knocked on the door and said she lost her wallet and needed money to buy gas to get home. When I offered to call motorist assist to help her she cussed me out and flipped me off.

Funny thing is on the way back we stopped at the same rest area on the other side of the highway. Same thing happened with the same woman five days later. This time I did call the highway patrol to help her...
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:33 PM   #80

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
just a dump handle.

Only a tank dump handle and some firewood. Nothing important.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #81

Theft insurance

Back in 1985 I worked for Kiewit construction company we were building the flyovers into SF airport a bunch of us lived in trailers on site we called them hobo camps the company would usually scratch out an area and supply a big gen set and water a bunch of the guys went in on a rent a fence to surround the trailers of those who wanted to buy in , anyway long story short a couple trailer owners didn’t want to help pay for the fence so they got fenced out one weekend every trailer INSIDE the fence got ripped off just amazing how a thief’s mind works they were right too ,some of the guys had gone overboard with the goodies that they were keeping in their trailers because of the so called comfort level of the fence it was a hard lesson you should have heard old Lee Carter crowing about being outside the fence and not getting touched he never even locked is trailer up
Siskman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #82

National RV Owners Club
Recommended a campground to a co-worker. While there, she had two Honda generators stolen from her campsite. Needless to say, she no longer asks for my advice.
JayManges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 11:43 PM   #83
sj

Many years ago, at a run down private cg. Not enough picnic table for each site. Had one b4 we went to sleep. Not there in the morning.
Old 05-22-2022, 03:23 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFiver View Post
Tucson, are you ever going to get on the road? Don’t mean to be harsh but it seems like you are fishing for reasons not to.

I love harsh, I need a flying brick to the face 95% of the time. That isn't the case at all, actually I'm super excited but this is a HUGE life change for me so there are A LOT of moving parts. I'm moving to the road full time so I'm having to sell everything and in many cases with things that are essential to me sell items I have and replace with more efficient, smaller, cordless versions.

My business is seasonal and also related to animals with this being my busiest season and me needing the income to make this happen. Add to that shifting a second business to a format that's more RV friendly and it's just A LOT to take on.

And, this is likely too much information but this was an unexpected life change for me as I was expecting to stay where I am until my aging parents had finished that aging process.

Point being, a month ago I didn't know I was moving and now I am so there's a lot to adjust and shift and get myself liquid.

The point of this post/question is that I'll have my truck, MH and both will likely be pulling a trailer. I would like to feel comfortable parking the MH anyplace from a WalMart parking lot to a camp ground and heading out in the truck for a few hours without major fears and concerns.

I am sort of a security person and will have an 8 camera 4k security camera system on the MH.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote