Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you ever had a theft at a campground
Yes 25 16.89%
No 123 83.11%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #15

Never had anything stolen. I have a 25' long thick cable and l lock anything of value with it. Again, never had a problem.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 01:02 PM   #16

We had a neighbor at a campground with a beautiful custom cage around their generator. They were rightly proud of it. They had a previous generator stolen so they took extra measures to protect their new one including an alarm.
Scott 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #17

At our last stop in Mesa, AZ we had a neighbor warn us their Rad Ebikes were just stolen and were locked up.
I added a few extra locks to our ebikes but that's the extent of our security.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #18

The point of most security is to make your stuff harder to steal then your neighbor's.

PS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #19

Had a safety chain and quick link for the tow dolly stolen from the back of my coach. Guess they only needed one.
Had a racoon steal food out of a cooler. He did NOT want to be shooed off. I preferred him to get the food rather than me to get rabies.[emoji15]
I do chain and lock my Progressive surge protector to the pedestal.
[emoji40]
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
I stole some half burnt left over fire wood from a site, but only after they left. Oh and I'm pretty sure he said, "you can have my firewood that I'm leaving".
Old 02-25-2021, 02:28 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've never had anything stolen since we first started RVing, back in the 70's. On one occasion, about 1:00am, I was relaxing in a chair after a long drive and campsite setup and saw two juveniles grab a combo tent and sleeping bag setup from our friend's campsite.

They took off across a grassy field and I was able to run them down. I grabbed the stolen property and they took off. It wasn't worth trying to detain them.

The next day, I was able to identify them as a couple of kids that lived in the adjacent, permanent resident, trailer park. They had stolen beer and someone's CD's that night. They were both arrested.

Other than that one occasion, over a few thousand nights of camping, that was the only incident. I do lock things up at night, no matter where we camp. I will leave our two chairs and table out, unsecured.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I assume you want us to vote based on actual personal experience and not what we've "heard"?

Yes, actual experience. We've all heard the stories, I'm just trying to figure out how prevalent they really are.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:17 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had anything stolen, but we do not provide the opportunity for a thief. Anything od value is out of sight or locked to the trailer with cable locks. If a thief really wants the stuff, they will still stela it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #24

Twice. First time was at the KOA in Metairie La. They stole a Thermacell out of one of my compartments.
Probably a drug head cause they threw it down on the ground just before they got to their hole in the fence. My fault, should have locked the compartment.
Second time at a RV park in Houston. I left my propane burner out behind my rig overnight.
Probably a drug head again but my fault. It should have been locked up.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #25
DKO

2010, west side of Colorado Springs in a campground. I told the manager that we would be gone two nights to ride the Durango-Silverton train. We arrived back at night and cranked up the next day mid-morning. North of Denver I noticed I was very low on fuel. After refueling and doing some simple math I realized that someone had siphoned over 100 gallons of diesel.

Diesel was way over $4 a gallon that year so it was an expensive campground stay.

Davy
Old 02-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #26

A friend camping on an adjacent campsite had, of all things, his towel stolen while he was in the campground shower. I guess the thief liked Pink Floyd. We ourselves have never had anything stolen, and except for this one incident, neither has anyone we've camped with while we shared a campground, in 40+ years.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:37 PM   #27

Tent camping at the north rim of the Grand Canyon, in the 1990s. We had put the Coleman stove in the tent and went for a hike. We got back, the tent zipper was up about 8" and the connector from the propane bottle to the stove was gone. No way to replace it and no way to cook, we had just gotten there and we spent the rest of our vacation driving around a couple of states trying to get a replacement. Park ranger said it was likely an employee because they always got a couple of bad ones every year. Since then, that stuff locked in the car. Trailer camping, either it was overnight and nothing left out or week-long stays at fairly out of the way places, no problems; 2012-2016.
BrassPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:38 PM   #28

Squirrels got a package of Oreos we forgot to put away!
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground