Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you ever had a theft at a campground
Yes 25 16.89%
No 123 83.11%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #1

Theft at a Campground....

There seems to be a fair amount of discussion around here about people "theft proofing" their rigs. I'm taking a poll to see how many folks have actually had a theft at a campground.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 07:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My daughter had her kids bike stolen from CG in Northern Ca - Lava Beds Nat Monument near the Oregon border. So not a “theft proof the rig“ thing and just carelessness IMHO, but it happens.

I was overnighting in a nice neighborhood in East Memphis and had a 1am visit by a couple of tatted up skin head no-hopers who were obviously looking for something to steal thinking we were in the house we were visiting. I chased them off twice, called Memphis PD, then chased them off a third time. But of course, this was in a city that’s going down the societal tubes.

And my son had bikes stolen from his truck while parked in a Reno towing his 5th wheel. Again, not in a camp ground and he should have secured them.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:30 AM   #3

I assume you want us to vote based on actual personal experience and not what we've "heard"?
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Never in 20 years. Even in questionable parks. I dont even lock all 14 lower cabinets.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:47 AM   #5

I have been camping since I was 12-13 years old and I am now in my 70's. I have never had anything stolen at a campsite.

When we use to tent camp anything could have been removed, when we were gone for the day. I use to have a camp kitchen that sat on the picnic table. All you had to do was walk up and remove the stove, gas lantern, dishes, pot and pans if you wanted them.

We than moved on to a pop-up with our children. Bikes and their gear was never locked up at night, just place near the tong of the pop-up.

Now with our 5er, the only thing that I secure is the portable surge protector. Which if someone really want the surge protector! All that they have to do is to un-plug the unit from the pedestal and unscrew the power cord at the trailer, taking the surge protector and electric cord as a unit.

I feel locking up items only keep honest people honest! If a thief really wants it they will get what they want.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:54 AM   #6

Had food stolen....buy animals!
mokurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:00 AM   #7

Had a 6 pack of beer & cheap Styrofoam cooler they were in stolen back in 1980 something

Other then that ............NO

And we never locked compartment/storage doors, never locked items outside (BBQ, Chairs, Tables, Portable Surge Protector etc)
Only locked entry door out of habit when we left
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:06 AM   #8

In a $50 night park in a rural area. Bike locked to picnic table 10 ft from rv door. Stolen between 7 and 10 pm with us in the rv. Only other time we were aware was in san diego when locals ( we were told) came into park and rode bikes out. Park advised that all belongings should be stored inside rig as theft was a huge problem. Full time for 14 yrs...only experience with theft.
netjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #9

I voted no, but then I remembered someone stole half my firewood while I was out for a hike several years ago. As for personal property, never. I've long been in the habit of keeping my belongings put away out of sight and all doors locked when I'm away from the rig, even for a moment. It's a habit from long years of urban and suburban living. Plus, I don't use commercial campgrounds, and that helps a bunch, I think.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Never had a theft but I always lock my bikes to the frame of the main slideout at night.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In over 60 yrs of RV'ing the only thing has been a brand new 25' water hose. But then I lock stuff up too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:50 AM   #12

I voted yes

Close to 20 yrs ago we had our kids expensive football jackets stolen at a campground. Campground had a "reputation"

We have been to several differant beach campgrounds over the years, multiple times our outside coolers were broken into. (beer)

We also lock up our bikes to the back bumper of our TT

Mike
Old 02-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Back in the 80's. I drank to much pop, keep it in a cooler. I had 2 sites from me what look like a bunch of college kids. One morning I woke up to no pop in the cooler.

But other then that, no issues. In 35+ years of camping.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I assume you want us to vote based on actual personal experience and not what we've "heard"?
Personally, we've had two things stolen over the many years we've been camping. One was a cooler, probably stolen by some goofy kids while we were staying at a state park.

The other time was by masked bandits. Yep, racoons stole all our bacon out of a cooler that we thought we had "coon proofed". Heavy firewood on top of the cooler didn't stop them.

Tags
campground