Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 08:59 AM   #1

Theft of Tire Pressure Sensors?

I am about to spring for the purchase of a set of a 10 TPMS system (TST)...I was wondering...out there in RV land...is there a concern of folks stealing these sensors often? We begin full timing next spring.
gostberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 09:05 AM   #2

Never heard of anyone ever saying the sensors were stolen.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I do not worry about theft enough to loose a second of sleep.

IMHO...if someone wants to steal them or just cause mischief, they will do what ever it takes including more damage than the cost of a sensor. In 4 years, never had a problem with theft.

I have the TST non-flow through sensors and removed the security cover because I got tired of using the "tool" to remove them when I work with them. You can easily remove the security cover yourself.

BTW...I've used both the flow through and non-flow through versions and kinda grew to a real dislike of the flow through sensors. (Sorry TST). MY EXPERIENCE found the flow through sensors prone to being broken off, general cracking and the battery cover cracking when replacing the battery.

OTOH...TST was OUTSTANDING with customer service addressing those issues but I got tired of having to work that out. I've been extremely satisfied once I reverted back to the non-flow through sensors.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Our TPMS ones would take a lot of work to steal. You have to remove the hubcaps to even be able to use the special tool that unscrews the individual tire monitor. And to take our hubcaps off requires a special tool as well, so someone either has to have the right tools to start with or a good bit of time--something thieves rarely are willing to take.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gostberg View Post
I am about to spring for the purchase of a set of a 10 TPMS system (TST)...I was wondering...out there in RV land...is there a concern of folks stealing these sensors often? We begin full timing next spring.
BTW...consider ordering 12 sensors. Keep 2 as spares in case you run into a sensor problem or want to quick change when some batteries start to run low. Also carry a few extra batteries.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by no3putt View Post
Never heard of anyone ever saying the sensors were stolen.
DITTO...

I have heard stories of folks that "know of folks" that had them stolen but no "first person" accounts.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
So far I've never had an issue. Mine have little set screws that I can tighten down to keep them from walking away but I don't use them. Too much of a pain if I have to air up a tire.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Never had an issue with my TST 's.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #9

When I had my 5th wheel, we kept it in a "secure" storage area. After about a year or so, the thieves hit the place. I had placed my Tire Minder in the basement area of the 5th wheel. They opened it basement with a key, the old CH751 key, and the only thing they took was the Tire Minder receiver. They never took the four transmitters on the wheels. I think in the dark they must have thought it was a cell phone or walkie talkie.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never heard of that happening! I think probably that most of the TPMS users are RV'ers and thank goodness the vast majority are good, honest folks!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I've had TPMS sensors on my MH and toad since 2011, no issues to date.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I've noticed posts asking or worrying about thief's of various items, fuel, surge protectors, tpms, grills, an endless list. For the most part the camping/ rv community are self policing and are always more helpful than the normal society as a whole. Yes, there are yard apes (ankle biters, brats, miss guided playstation kids), out to have a good time, occasionally they cause harm, but if you think the area is not safe then move. I'd bet most rv's don't pack everything up at night and lock everything down. just my opinion...
Old 10-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'd have more chance of damaging them from a pothole, curb stone, tree branch sticking out etc than someone tampering with or stealing them.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Have not had an issue. Mind you I take them off when sitting for long periods and remove the battery. Minder has a free battery replacement program that we use but my instinct is to 'save' the batteries when not being used.

Tags
tire pressure