Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
No professional thief has any of that stuff on their hit list, other than very expensive jewellery. Sure, some punk kid would be happy to steal that stuff if it's an easy grab, but that's far from a professional thief who will actually break-in to an RV in order to get it. That was the topic under discussion, to my understanding.

Some punk kids will grab anything they can, whether it has real value or not. That doesn't make them the same as a professional thief.

Raining Star,

You might want to go back and read the original post. And perhaps look at the title of the thread "Theft Problems" . . . to which my post was pertinent. Whether your stuff is taken by "Professional Thieves", or "Punk Kids" is really immaterial, the fact remains that stuff "taken" or "stolen" is still lost to the original owner, often along with ancillary damage to your property as the thief gains access to the stuff he takes.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Raining Star,

You might want to go back and read the original post. And perhaps look at the title of the thread "Theft Problems" . . . to which my post was pertinent. Whether your stuff is taken by "Professional Thieves", or "Punk Kids" is really immaterial, the fact remains that stuff "taken" or "stolen" is still lost to the original owner, often along with ancillary damage to your property as the thief gains access to the stuff he takes.

You're right. Hopefully you won't let fears that someone might be eyeing your fishing pole ruin your day. Personally I prefer to fill my head with other more pleasant thoughts.

Considering how incredibly low the theft rate is among RV'ers it hardly seems worth all the pixels we've already wasted on the subject.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:37 AM   #31

I actually have 3 stories of theft while camping that has happened to my family.

My dads side of the family used to go to Kenton ohio for the annual coon dog trials (giant flea market). you were boondocking in a giant field for a week. My one uncle was sleeping/passed out in a lawn chair outside under the canopy one night. My dad heard something outside and by the time they got outside someone had stolen 2 coolers and a 2 cook stoves and some other odds and ends. They flagged down the police that roam around on horseback and within a half hour they caught the thieves trying to throw the stuff over the fence. My uncle was still sound asleep in the chair and they removed his glasses and put them under his chair....

2nd story again happens at Kenton. My uncle is a welder/fabricator and made up a few fire rings for him and my dad over the years. we always took our fire ring with us and always had a fire every day and night for cooking. so usually the last night we are there we put the fire out and give it plenty of time to cool down. Middle of the week we go to bed with a small fire still going as there are 2 ppl still not back to the camp sight yet. By the time those two ppl get back someone came by and stole our fire ring... In the morning when everyone woke up to find out the fire ring was stolen we contacted the police again saying that it was home made and very distinct but the truth of the matter is it wasn't a huge loss just more of a bummer. a few of us set out on a golf cart to just take a stroll thru the camping area and wouldn't you know an isle over and down sits a campfire surrounded by a few women and two jersey shore looking guys and our fire ring. We rolled up and said where ya get our fire ring? They started studdering and uhhhs and it was here when we showed up this morning's started. my uncle took his cane and hooked it and we threw it on the golf cart and took it back.

The third story comes from my parents campground they frequent most often. It was a nice campground but over the last year or two they have had small odds and ends stuff stolen but nothing compares to some of the campers who are fulltime set up there have had tv's and other things stolen from them. one camper had one of the big windows removed and they took anything that wasn't bolted down.
bobbelcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsm View Post
Thievery...............Of course there isn't any of that around. Just don't read about the thief that accumulated over a million dollars, one wallet at a time. The RV Bandit, remember him
Stephen Garry Sanders, just a regular looking guy, after doing his home work during the prelims, he would then go to work, while everyone was heading for the track. For him, he had a good thing going, but GREED brought him down. Just a little RV news folks, that's all.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:33 PM   #33

Quote:
No professional thief has any of that stuff on their hit list, other than very expensive jewellery. Sure, some punk kid would be happy to steal that stuff if it's an easy grab, but that's far from a professional thief who will actually break-in to an RV in order to get it. That was the topic under discussion, to my understanding.

Some punk kids will grab anything they can, whether it has real value or not. That doesn't make them the same as a professional thief.
It isn't the professional thief you need to worry the most about - it is the amateur.

As to the list of items taken ... the stuff on that list is what is taken.

Be safe.

10 Hot Commodities A Burglar Can’t Resist Taking From Your Home | Home Alarm Systems
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:44 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
It isn't the professional thief you need to worry the most about - it is the amateur.

As to the list of items taken ... the stuff on that list is what is taken.

Be safe.

10 Hot Commodities A Burglar Canâ€[emoji769]t Resist Taking From Your Home | Home Alarm Systems

You are probably 100% correct. Personally I don't worry about any of it. I refuse to live in fear so I simply keep my stuff secure, and use common sense. If someone Mandela to steal my well used $150 grill I won't really care all that much, I will just go get another the next time I go shopping. Considering I've never had anything stolen my "carefree" attitude has worked well. It has probably saved me a fortune in medical expenses over the years but not being stressed out all the time.

I'm amazed by some of the answers of how fearful some people are. I'd rather lose everything I own they spend my life paranoid and distrustful of the people around me. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-23-2017, 05:49 AM   #35

Quote:
You are probably 100% correct. Personally I don't worry about any of it. I refuse to live in fear so I simply keep my stuff secure, and use common sense. If someone Mandela to steal my well used $150 grill I won't really care all that much, I will just go get another the next time I go shopping. Considering I've never had anything stolen my "carefree" attitude has worked well. It has probably saved me a fortune in medical expenses over the years but not being stressed out all the time.

I'm amazed by some of the answers of how fearful some people are. I'd rather lose everything I own they spend my life paranoid and distrustful of the people around me. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Raining Star,

I think you are missing the entire point. Taking basic precautions regarding security of self and property is a LONG way from "living in fear", or ruining your health and piling up "a fortune in medical expenses" worrying yourself to death!

If I suspected I might not be back at my boat for a while, or it was storm season, I have been known to double up my mooring lines and putting out extra fenders just in case. That didn't mean that I lived in fear that the "big one" would destroy my boat, or submerge the marina!

In my book, it just comes under the heading of being a responsible person, and using common sense.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #36

A few years back, while at a campground in Arkansas, I read a reward sign that was seeking information on the theft of an entire camp.

While the campers were out fishing someone stole everything. Tent, cook stove, chairs, coolers, everything.

We lock up just to keep people honest.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ATVs, jet skis, bikes, generator... Expensive stuff gets locked at night with a cable. Toolbox and riding gear is inside storage compartments or trailer. I don't bother locking stuff like coolers, BBQs, chairs, etc.

At Glamis one time, my brother woke up to find one of his 5 gallon gas cans empty (was full when he went to bed). But that turned out to be a neighbor camper who ran out of gas in the dunes and "borrowed" 5 gallons; came by in the morning to pay for the gas!

Seriously, the only thing our group has ever had stolen was a cooler full of beer.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Raining Star,

I think you are missing the entire point. Taking basic precautions regarding security of self and property is a LONG way from "living in fear", or ruining your health and piling up "a fortune in medical expenses" worrying yourself to death!

If I suspected I might not be back at my boat for a while, or it was storm season, I have been known to double up my mooring lines and putting out extra fenders just in case. That didn't mean that I lived in fear that the "big one" would destroy my boat, or submerge the marina!

In my book, it just comes under the heading of being a responsible person, and using common sense.

As I said in the first paragraph, "I keep my stuff secure and use common sense." The rest of it seems like nothing more than needless worry. I've only heard of one person who had some chairs stolen, which makes RV'ing the safest environment I've ever dealt with. Of course when going online there's no shortage of horror stories, but the online world is full of horror stories about everything.

There are far better things to fill my thoughts with when camping than exaggerated concerns that I'm going to become the first RV'er that I personally know to experience a break in. That's my only point.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Old 04-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Members of our RV club were at a campground in MS a couple of years ago. One of our group left his truck unlocked overnight. Next morning, he discovered that someone had opened the door and had stolen pistol that he kept inside.

I, personally have two issues: 1. He should have locked his doors. 2. He should not have left a firearm inside.

My wife and I have RVed over 30 years, north, south, east & west. Never had anything stolen (or if we did, never missed it). Only felt uncomfortable at two campgrounds, left one before checking in, stayed inside at the other one & left early the next morning.

Just stay aware. Use common sense. Enjoy the adventure. Have fun.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:46 AM   #40

We've been running about the country for 40 years, mostly with a TC, but lately a shorter MH. I always lock doors and use locked cables to secure anything loose. In all those years we have lost a shotgun and camera outfit. This happened in New Orleans on a busy street in the middle of the afternoon with people everywhere. On our way back to the RV we watched the thief walk across the street between the bumper to bumper traffic with a shotgun in one hand and camera bag in the other. He had broken the vent window, unlocked the door, pried open the camper boot window, and helped himself. Thankfully the only damage was to the vent window and the loss of the shotgun and Camera outfit. Insurance paid for most of it.

The policeman said not to expect to get anything back as they didn't spend a lot of time pursuing these cases. He said they would spend a lot of time on it and if they apprehended the thief he would be in jail overnight and back out on the street the next day. Their time was better spent on more serious crimes such as homicides. I suppose that's the way it is.

I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else, but it is always a possibility.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #41

Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. View Post
Members of our RV club were at a campground in MS a couple of years ago. One of our group left his truck unlocked overnight. Next morning, he discovered that someone had opened the door and had stolen pistol that he kept inside.

I, personally have two issues: 1. He should have locked his doors. 2. He should not have left a firearm inside.

My wife and I have RVed over 30 years, north, south, east & west. Never had anything stolen (or if we did, never missed it). Only felt uncomfortable at two campgrounds, left one before checking in, stayed inside at the other one & left early the next morning.

Just stay aware. Use common sense. Enjoy the adventure. Have fun.
I'm curious, what was it that make you uncomfortable?
farsidefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 02:42 PM   #42

Foretravel Owners Club
Only thieves I've had to deal with were Pack Rats !!!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems