Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

Theft problems?

I have not purchased a 5th wheel unit yet. I did get the truck that can handle whatever I want though. My question is this. Are breakins a problem in the RV world? I've been wondering about adding heavier duty locks on the door, cables for bikes on rack, chains on generator. Am I being paranoid? I just don't have any reference points so hoping to get some insights from the more experienced.

Thanks
farsidefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
While not unheard of, I think you will find such problems are few and far between. That said, basic precautions are in order. I have a cable and locks for portable Genny, portable sat antenna, bikes, etc. And lock up the RV when leaving it, etc. But have not replaced locks with heavier duty ones.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
While not unheard of, I think you will find such problems are few and far between. That said, basic precautions are in order. I have a cable and locks for portable Genny, portable sat antenna, bikes, etc. And lock up the RV when leaving it, etc. But have not replaced locks with heavier duty ones.

Agreed. The locks serve to keep honest people honest. Never had anything disappear while camping. Had a propane tank walk off while in storage in Salt Lake some 40 years ago.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Few professional thieves would target RV's because who travels with valuables? You might rarely hear about some kids stealing personal electronic devices left unattended in a campground, but as for break ins, I never met anyone who experienced it.

I did however meet someone who had their nice patio furniture stolen by the people in the next campground when they departed. The most common reaction from everyone hearing that story was that they had never heard anything like that before.

All in all, focuses on safety and common sense, and go enjoy the lifestyle. There are far better things to fill your mind with than exaggerated worries that someone might be eyeing your TV.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 35 years I've seen one theft at an RV park. A guy across from me had his portable generator sitting in front of his fifthwheel. It was not locked or chained to anything.

About the third day I was there it was stolen sometime during the night.

My coach was broken into while I had it stored at a storage yard where several were broken into.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 AM   #6

can`t make this stuff up

This battery angle grinder with a $.30 cent cut off wheel can cut thru anything you lock something up with in 15 seconds. I don`t worry really about theft I just don`t leave my stuff sitting out in plain sight when I leave the camp site for any length of time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grinder.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	158695  
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #7

Usually can't stop a determined thief--delay/slow them down, but ultimately they can outmanuever us. Most RV walls are 2" and the locks are junk--there can be more damage from the entry attempt than what may be stolen. Keep your insurance up to date with the deductible you can handle, then RV away and be sensible about what you leave laying about.
That angle grinder pictured will easily cut thru your best locking effort--so, out of sight, out of mind....

Think a cable lock would have helped???

http://www.wheelsrv.net/inventory/17...icked=&hidden=
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Star View Post
Few professional thieves would target RV's because who travels with valuables? You might rarely hear about some kids stealing personal electronic devices left unattended in a campground, but as for break ins, I never met anyone who experienced it.
Fulltimers
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
Fulltimers

Every fulltimer I've known has pretty much sold of all their valuables before hitting the road. Few sane people would stockpile cash in their RV, or travel with their family jewels or heirlooms.

Exactly what kind of valuables do the fulltimers you know travel with?

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:18 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I've never had anything stolen, but I did have a surprise once...

my junky new redwood 5'er was at the southwest Dallas dealer so much I guess one of the people there thought it was theirs!

When I got it back from one repair,
they had left a very nice folding chair in the basement for me!!! Thanks !

Actually spoke to a guy at our storage yard that says he never locks his 5'er,
his logic - they do more damage getting in then what is left in it is worth
Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 AM   #11

Only campground theft I've ever seen was our neighbors at a beach front CG in Florida. They left a high dollar Yeti cooler outside overnight alongside a cheap Igloo. Next morning the Igloo was gone. It was the one with the beer in it. Yeti was still sitting there. Probably someone not ole enough to buy their own beer.

Only other RV thefts/breakins seem to be confined to storage lots.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

As others have said, break-ins are very rare in the RV'ing community, but certainly possible.

I bought a low-cost door alarm at WalMart. We arm it when away from the RV for a while, and at night when we go to bed. It is not monitored, just makes a really loud noise, but we feel comfortable with it. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/low-c...em-198346.html

We lock both doors (both locks) and the storage bays when leaving the campground. I lock the bikes at night.

We have been RV'ing for 17 years and never had any kind of incident.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
As above stated just cheap locks to keep the honest in line. If they want it they will get it no matter what you use. I wouldn't camp anywhere that made me afraid of losing my stuff but I do keep everything locked up.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #14

I secure as best I can the things that are expensive and hard to replace. I know a determined thief will take what he wants but I prefer to make him work a little for it. That said we have never had anything taken while we are camping. We did have a trailer broken into while in storage and a few little things taken. The worst part was that the thieves killed a perfectly innocent 12 year old bottle of scotch during their crime. I wept!

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems