Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
The reason an entry fee is charged is because people pay it! They're in business to make money. If no one paid a fee to get in, they would display for free.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #44

There is a difference between RV shows and "dealer shows". RV shows like Tampa, Hershey, etc. showcase many different manufacturers, vendors, services, etc. Dealer shows is where a dealer hauls his junk into a venue and try charging admittance. I've been to real shows and generally it's worth it and 1 "dealer show" in Indiana only because I needed to see a couple specific models and that's the only place I could find that had them. It was well worth it also because I got to see the absolutely abysmal build quality of VanLeigh trailers and the total lack of factory QC for that line. That $7 admission helped me avoid a $75K huge mistake.

In 17 we did go to the Tampa show and had mixed reviews. Terrible traffic around Tampa. After spending a couple hours just trying to get there, we wait in line to get in to park, wait in line to get in the show, and it was hot. Very little shade and my patience at that point was worn thin. I guess we did it wrong because there's so much that unless you have a plan and want to see some specific stuff, it's like a chicken wandering around with their head cut off. Disappointed at the accessory vendor line up, mostly just interior junk. With a plan and a ton of prior research a real show can be very helpful.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
There is a difference between RV shows and "dealer shows". RV shows like Tampa, Hershey, etc. showcase many different manufacturers, vendors, services, etc. Dealer shows is where a dealer hauls his junk into a venue and try charging admittance. I've been to real shows and generally it's worth it and 1 "dealer show" in Indiana only because I needed to see a couple specific models and that's the only place I could find that had them. It was well worth it also because I got to see the absolutely abysmal build quality of VanLeigh trailers and the total lack of factory QC for that line. That $7 admission helped me avoid a $75K huge mistake.

In 17 we did go to the Tampa show and had mixed reviews. Terrible traffic around Tampa. After spending a couple hours just trying to get there, we wait in line to get in to park, wait in line to get in the show, and it was hot. Very little shade and my patience at that point was worn thin. I guess we did it wrong because there's so much that unless you have a plan and want to see some specific stuff, it's like a chicken wandering around with their head cut off. Disappointed at the accessory vendor line up, mostly just interior junk. With a plan and a ton of prior research a real show can be very helpful.
We usually plan ahead to have things installed at a show. New tire presure inflator valve. New awning canvas and new awning hardware. Steer right wheel. centering etc. Usually call vendor ahead of show to bring proper fit for my RV. Have never been disappointed with a service yet.
They work we play[emoji1][emoji106]. Always meet new folks and our dogs love sitting outside with new buddies. Click image for larger version

Name:	20191220_094156.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	271816
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
dealers pay to go to the show too. aside from the prepping of coaches and staging, they pay a fee to the stadium. mall, or civic center for each coach exhibited.
we never went to a show that was free to dealers.
Of course they pay. The point that some are making is that as the dealers benefit from the show they should swallow the cost.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:43 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JpalmerCass View Post
Of course they pay. The point that some are making is that as the dealers benefit from the show they should swallow the cost.
Our local show charges $8 a person to get in and there will be thousands go through. Some multiple of that thousands times $8 would have to to be swallowed by the dealers and vendors if they stopped charging it. Certainly some of the vendors and smaller dealers would just say "Enough." Fewer dealers and vendors mean the remaining dealers and vendors must swallow more. Fewer vendors mean fewer attendees, and so goes the downward spiral.

I suspect the shows wouldn't be sustainable without an entry fee. I know the venue they use here is very expensive.

Even so, the company hosting the show, D&G Attractions in our area, made a very significant investment to put the show on. We'll decide the day of the show whether we want to spend $16 to go look around.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:52 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedT View Post
The reason an entry fee is charged is because people pay it! They're in business to make money. If no one paid a fee to get in, they would display for free.
Someone has to pay for the show, as mentioned earlier the costs are quite substantial. The costs have to be covered, the dealers and exhibitors do not print money. They will have to recover these costs by charging more to everybody that buys something in the form of higher prices. These higher prices would affect everyone, not just the people that want, for whatever reason, to attend a show.

If these costs are all dumped on the exhibitors the show would be a lot smaller, if it existed at all. The seminars and such would likely be gone.

We aren't RV shopping(but you never know), just going to go for entertainment. We may bring the Roadtrek and do an overnight, but not likely. It would be an idea to avoid rush hour and the entry crunch, though.
SteveJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
We gladly pay to go to the shows.
It's a great way to see a lot of RV's and vendors without travelling all over the place.
What we save on time and gas is worth it.
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
I figured the pay to get in was to keep the riffraff out. So I stopped going..
I will gladly pay to not have to shuffle around with riff-raff. Here in Utah we get these families with their many unruly little bugger-makers all waiting in line to go through an RV they in no way can or should afford. Six bux for me and my beautiful half to get in and do business without the riff-raff is a deal. Oh, and the homeless looking to escape the cold. Yeah, no.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:40 AM   #51

I can go to one place and see almost every RV and accessory available in the area under one air conditioned roof.
Just the savings in gas and time more than pay for admission fees.
Now I just have to convince myself I don't have to go anymore since I have my lifetime, perfect RV.

Na, I will still go once a year anyway.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:51 AM   #52

If you can’t swing a few bucks for an RV show, you probably shouldn’t be shopping for an RV.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #53

They don't bring every floorplan to the shows so if you have looked online at brochures of floorplans and have settled on one or two, it's best to find a dealer who has one in stock to see it in person. Also, not all manufacturers participate in the shows.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #54

Either the dealers pay all the expenses or the attendees pay. If the dealers pay, then those expenses are going to be added to the dealers overhead and ultimately passed on to their customers. In the long run, that would mean those who ultimately buy an RV pay the entire fare. Those who just would attend for fun and have no interest in buying an RV would be getting their free entertainment at the expense of actual RV buyers. Having everyone who attends pay is much more equitable.
kcdogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #55

Hi, I work at my cousins marina don't forget we pay for space also at the shows and it's a lot more than a ticket price, all vender's pay for the space they use.
JKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #56

Yes, I will pay the $12 to get into the Tampa show next week, the $14 for parking and the $20 for overnight RV parking (which are all a bargain).
It's all part of a fun experience and we make it a destination each year.
I am not a sports fan, but many people pay much more for their fun experience to watch hockey, football and basketball players who personally earn millions of dollars every year.
Others pay huge ticket prices to see entertainers who are performing to promote their careers.
It's all "entertainment".
Each of us has our own interests, our own little vices and if you don't want to pay to see an event, then don't, the choice is yours.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote