Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #1

Things to do near Elkhart

Taking my RV to Elkhart for some factory repairs. Suspect it will take 2 days. Is there anything interesting to do near Elkhart (military museums, etc). Trying to decide whether to pull my toad out or just hang around the factory (thinking canopy, table, chair and cooler).

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2018, 04:35 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Been there many times. Here's some attractions I'd recommend:

RV/MH Hall of Fame

National NY Central RR Museum

Super Hero Museum

Quilt Gardens Tour

Rise 'n Roll Bakery

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #3

RV/MH Hall Of Fame Museum

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Museum - Library - Conference Center
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the links. I definitely need to stay away from the bakery unless I bring pastries back for the shop!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #5

There is a Farmers Market type building about half way between Wakarusa and Elkhart. It is a multi-level with several small private vendors. The building is beautiful and you can see the Amish engineering in the posts and beams. It was built before the bust and went into bankruptcy and has been bought and the business is being rebuilt. Shipshewana has a great downtown for eating, exploring, and shopping.

Don't know about the sweets, but the coffee needs to be ready at 0700.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #6

If you are a DIY person, there are a lot of RV left over stock stores in the area. You can stock up on RV parts or just about anything RV related for less than retail prices. We make it a point to stop by that area once a year in our travels.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 PM   #7

We’re leaving Nappanee tomorrow after some Newmar service. Along with what others have suggested we really enjoyed the Auburn Cord Automobile Museum in Auburn. Also the town of Shipshewana with shops, Yoder Meats and Cheese, Blue Gate Restaurant, and the town is surrounded by beautiful Amish farms. Newmar has a great 1.5 hour factory tour twice a day. This is our third visit and we always enjoy our time here. Safe travels.
HWCJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #8

Also some nice parks in the area. Oxbow park on the edge of Elkhart is nice. Bonneyville Mills is outside of Bristol, IN, which is east of Elkhart. If you are in the Middlebury area a good home cooking restaurant is Das Essenhaus on Hwy 20. They have a lot of Amish type food and a very well known restaurant. They also have a gift shop and bakery. There is a HUGE flea market in Shipshewana where you can find anything and everything! LOL
Dmrad is offline   Reply With Quote