Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #1

I have a 5th wheel and to excape incase of fire is the upstares window.
Its 10 feet off the ground. Has anyone have away out or away to exit the bed room area incasew of a fire?
Old one is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:48 PM   #2

I have a 5th wheel and to excape incase of fire is the upstares window.
Its 10 feet off the ground. Has anyone have away out or away to exit the bed room area incasew of a fire?
Old 11-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #3

I have read posts about this before on other forums. The answer always seems to be an escape ladder. I guess it is like a rope ladder, but made of something else. From what I have read they roll up for storage and un-roll when hung from the window frame to climb down. Don't know where to get them, maybe camping world??

Terry
Alarmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 03:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
old one,

You know, you bring up a very good subject, that everyone should think about. A fire in either a Motorhome or Trailer is life threatening and a plan and equipment should be on every owners lists and in their inventory.

We have some retired Firemen here, this would be a good time for them to show their stuff and help educate the membership with a special Forum just on Safety. How about Administrators??

Now back to your question, there are lots of Fire Escape Ladders available. Type in your browser, "RV Fire Escape Ladders" and you'll see that there are a number of places that have them available, along with other valuable safety items.

Radarr
Old 11-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #5

At the time I bought this RV I was working in the Regional headquarters for Navy Security and the Federal Fire Department for the Southwest Region.

I talked to the Chief Fire Inspector and the Assistant Regional Fire Chief regarding fire safety for RVs. The Assistant Chief is also an RV-er.

Their advise was was to get 2 or 3 good fire extinguishers (A-B-C) at least 5 pounds of filler. Make sure the smoke detector works and be well versed on the operation of the emergency exits on the RV. Also keep a good size hammer in the bedroom just in case you need to break a window to get out. The newer RVs have double pane windows with tempered glass that can be difficult to break, hence the hammer.

As Diesel Pushers have been known to have engine fires that get out of control before the driver knows there is a fire, I plan to install a high temp alarm in my engine compartment.

I replaced the fire extinguisher that came with the coach with a larger (5 pound) model. Installed a second extinguisher in the bedroom and one in a small compartment outside forward of the engine compartment on the oposite side from the electrical bay.

My highest window is maybe 6 feet off the ground so I haven't purchased an escape ladder but do have a hammer in the bedroom.

I am sure there is a lot more that can be done, what I have mentioned is only a minimum for fire safety.

Alarmguy
Old 11-09-2005, 09:51 AM   #6

I have seen the escape ladders at places like Home Depot, lowes, Walmart. We dont need one ourselves as the window is not that high. A working smoke detector is the BEST tool to have.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Do you really think you would be stopped by a 10 foot window if the place was on fire?
The chain ladders might be OK, I've never tired to climb down one. Problem I see here is having to wait to exit while someone else climbs down. Our MH is not that high, but higher than my wife's head. She is disabled can hardly walk. I think the thing would be to put her out the window feet first and hold on to her until she could drop to the ground. It would save time and that is a valuable commodity during an escape from a fire - especially a trailer fire. Ten feet will not kill you and you will be out of the way when the next person exits. Two Bit says it exactly right, the smoke detector is the most important item.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:02 AM   #8

Just a foot note on what Doc said, if you are tempted to take the battery out of your smoke detector because it goes off every time you cook something, do what I did, get one of the "photo-electric" detectors, they "see" smoke instead of "sniffing it".

I kept the factory equipment detector and put it in the bedroom away from the stove and microwave and installed the photo-electric one where the old one had been, no more "cooking alarms".. Was about 20+ bucks for the "First Alert" photo-electric detector.

Alarmguy
Old 11-10-2005, 05:05 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Old one, welcome to irv2. For your first question you have come up with a very important one. As you can see from your fellow RV'ers you will receive the best info on what you need to know, not much I can add but always be safe so you can come up with your informative questions for everyone. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
To those that question getting out of double pane windows in motorhomes, you don't need to break the window on those I have seen as they have emergency escape windows. The windows open by turning the locking handle. Our handles are marked in RED and are in the bedroom area.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:36 AM   #11

Guess I should have made that a little clearer. Yes they have emergency exits that are marked by a RED handle and signs identifying them as "EXIT", the part about the hammer is in case they are jammed (after an accident??) or you can't get to one of them because of the fire.

Personally I would rather have a ball peen hammer in my bedroom than a burnt body.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:14 AM   #12

I want to thank all of you for the information, I will get a latter.before the next trip. Thank you all again.
OLD ONE
Old 11-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #13

Try eBay under the search term "escape ladder" ...you will find plenty to pick from and many at a reasonable cost.

...and most of all, I agree with the comments posted by 'Derek aka Mindcandies' below. Do we have an escape ladder? The answer is NO!

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:40 AM   #14

The problem I see with the rope or chain ladders is the time it takes to deploy them. The ones I am familiar with are eithrt stored away from the window (brackets attached to window for use) or the one what you just hook onto the window when needed. Now I don't know about you but I don'i think that in the heat of a fire or any other emergency the average person does not practice with this item for the time when needed. How many have tried usuing there escape ladders? How many have actually practiced using the escape windows? My wife and I have many times. I mean right out the window of the MH and onto the ground. Try it during the day first, then do it at night in TOTAL darkness and let us know how it goes. I belive that if you practice this there will be no need for any additional items to slow down your exit. The main objective in the case of a fiire is to get out as quickly and safely as possable. Remember that it is not always the flames that kill. More people are killed by smoke than flame.
I keep a large extinquisher in the bedroom, one in the kitchen, a smaller one up near the entry way and a medium size back by the engine compartment.
There is only so much you can do being fire safety pro-active. Again practice using the escape windows and see what you think then about adding a ladder to your escape time.

Derek aka Mindcandies