Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2021, 09:02 PM   #1

Thinking of becoming a moochdocker host...

Anyone here a host, or used them. What are your thoughts. I have a place kind of in the middle of nowhere, lots of maneuvering room, and very easy access from the interstate. I wouldn't mind picking up a few extra bucks here and there.
GeorgeandTheBear is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 03:48 AM   #2

Look up mooch online.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:41 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
You won’t like it.
Old 08-26-2021, 05:47 AM   #4

I'd be hesitant. When you start to charge, you run into possible zoning and deed restrictions. In many places you would need a business license and possibly subject to inspections and sanitation requirements. Even without those, it sounds like more trouble than a few bucks would be worth.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Boondocker’s Welcome connects hosts and RVers, but the sites don’t get to charge unless they provide things like electricity. HipCamp is the AirBNB of campsites, but there are zoning and safety things that have to be in place.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

I can only speak to experience where I live. The zoning and municipalities are very easy to work with. They aren't trying to give anyone a hard time.

I would continue to investigate if it is something that interests you. Certainly dont stop just because someone said there will be sanitation issues. And you can do this stuff right without much more work than do it half ***.

Go for it just learn and investigate and do your due diligence. Could be a lot of fun.

The reason most people dont get anywhere is they have a whole list of reasons everything wont work before they have even taken the first step!
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I'd be hesitant. When you start to charge, you run into possible zoning and deed restrictions. In many places you would need a business license and possibly subject to inspections and sanitation requirements. Even without those, it sounds like more trouble than a few bucks would be worth.
Add in liability insurance, when you begin charging, home-owners insurance is not valid.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:59 AM   #8

Let me say this more plainly. Moochdocking is free, your "guests" won't be paying.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
Let me say this more plainly. Moochdocking is free, your "guests" won't be paying.
check the website, mooch is "free" but that moochdock website is not.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:48 AM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never consider this. Besides causing issues with our local government, it would be a pain in the rear to accommodate folks and all of their demands.

That said, if you are out in the boonies with your nearest neighbor 1/4 mile away, that is a different scenario. Not sure about charging folks if you do not have any hookups. Mooch means "free" to me.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeandTheBear View Post
I have a place kind of in the middle of nowhere, lots of maneuvering room, and very easy access from the interstate.
If you're in the middle of nowhere rule out a quick overnight stop for a charge. Most folks want a quick, easy parking spot.. and free, especially if pulling in after dark. Unless you offer pavement they're not going to be driving in a field after dark ... or even if it's light.

I don't see your idea working.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:05 PM   #12

If you have something to sell you could become a Harvest host. Guests stay free with the agreement they will look at your items for sale and hopefully buy something. (members list of requirements states they would like to see you buy $20 worth)
Old 08-27-2021, 03:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you're in the middle of nowhere rule out a quick overnight stop for a charge. Most folks want a quick, easy parking spot.. and free, especially if pulling in after dark. Unless you offer pavement they're not going to be driving in a field after dark ... or even if it's light.
Of course, as I mentioned, it won't be free. I actually feel I have a pretty decent place, but it would be boondocking. I could let someone fill up with water, and/or possibly use my 30A plug, but that would put them closer to the house than I would like. As my location states, I am in SW Indiana. After exiting I-64, one right turn and you are within sight of my place (total drive, 2 miles). Walmart (Evansville and/or Princeton) and CB are no closer than a half-hour, and they are not straight, easy drives. I have a very level grassy area that could accommodate a couple of RVs, regardless of size, and I also have a gravel drive encircling my pole barn, so if they preferred, they could just park there. The drive would also eliminate backing. Our house is a couple hundred yards off the main road, and the camping area another 50 or so yards further back. We are surrounded by corn on three sides and soybean on the 4th. The closest neighbor is almost 1/4 mile away.
GeorgeandTheBear is online now   Reply With Quote