Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 12:09 PM   #1

Thinking of replacing carpet with laminate flooring.

Is there anything I should know about the way the floor is constructed that might make this job more difficult than it would be in a sticks and bricks home?

We are thinking of swapping the non-moving parts of the floor to a hardwood/laminate material, and leaving carpet only on the slideouts. When we pull up the carpet, will we find any surprises that would make installing laminate difficult?
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Is there anything I should know about the way the floor is constructed that might make this job more difficult than it would be in a sticks and bricks home?

We are thinking of swapping the non-moving parts of the floor to a hardwood/laminate material, and leaving carpet only on the slideouts. When we pull up the carpet, will we find any surprises that would make installing laminate difficult?
No. Had mine done with water proof vynal planks. Look just like wood. Installer charged 200 bucks did living rmcabd bath. Trimmed out in 1/2 inch wood looks factoru. Had planks left over frim house floors Click image for larger version

Name:	1540317196391.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	231870Click image for larger version

Name:	20170809_160613.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	231871
Russ Silber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #3

I also replaced my carpeting with LVT planks. Looks great and will now remove carpeting from the bedroom and redo with matching planks. Easy to keep clean and with 2 pets and sometimes wet feet, it makes life a bit easier. Ours was glued down and it has stood up well for two years now.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
I also replaced my carpeting with LVT planks. Looks great and will now remove carpeting from the bedroom and redo with matching planks. Easy to keep clean and with 2 pets and sometimes wet feet, it makes life a bit easier. Ours was glued down and it has stood up well for two years now.
Ours installed floating except for both edges. Planks interlock 2 ways. Don't go cheap. Get a good water proof planks.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180817_215341.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	231874
Russ Silber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 AM   #5

Yes, definitely need waterproof vinyl planks.

Good to hear that this isn't a too-difficult job. Being a trailer, I worried that we would pull up the carpet and find something that would make adding flooring difficult.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #6

Five years ago, we removed the carpet (and staples) in our fifth wheel main floor and just left the vinyl in the kitchen area intact underneath. We used the Prego snap laminate panels from Home Depot on top of a roll of thin foam sheet placed down first. We did not use any glue and custom fit each board for a tight fit to the wall or cabinets and in most cases did not need any trim molding. For our 2 slide carpets, HD sells bound carpet remnants 12X8 that are bounded on the edges. We cut the carpet down the middle and used the removed slide out carpet as a template. I used staples along the back wall and double sided tape along the front edge. Now for $100, we just get new carpet every other year vs getting it cleaned.
We went with the cheapest flooring panels HD had for a total material cost under $160 and have been very happy with it. We saved a couple of panels which we have used to replace some slide out scratched pieces. Easy to replace if not glued down!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flooring.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	231961  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post

I replaced the carpet with a good quality laminate in our old rig. It looks beautiful and was much easier to clean, but over time the expansion and contraction did start to show the edges. It still looked good after 8 years, but next time I would use a vinal of some sort
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:00 AM   #8

Yes, all carpet should be replaced... throw rugs are cheap, easy to place and come in a variety of shapes, colors and sizes
Old 01-19-2019, 09:06 AM   #9

Hardest part will be removing the billion staples they use to secure the carpet down. The rest is just like a house install, except you'll realize there is nothing square in the camper.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollondown View Post
Hardest part will be removing the billion staples they use to secure the carpet down. The rest is just like a house install, except you'll realize there is nothing square in the camper.

THIS is exactly why I asked this question in the first place!

I just want to prepare for whatever surprises I might encounter, and the "nothing square" is not what I would have expected.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
LVP (aka Luxury Vinyl Tile) is cheap -- under $2 per sq ft. I did my 1200 foot basement. Glued it directly to the concrete -- no prep and no sub-floor. Lightweight, easy to clean. And, the glue never dries. If a piece is damaged, you just peel it up and lay a new one.

Don't miss a single staple. LVT is thin. A grain of sand will show through the finished floor.

One small piece of advice: since LVP uses a picture of a piece of wood, there is a pattern repetition. Make sure your installer mixes them up well so you don't have the same knot-hole appearing three times in a row on adjacent planks.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=lvp
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Silber View Post
No. Had mine done with water proof vynal planks. Look just like wood. Installer charged 200 bucks did living rmcabd bath. Trimmed out in 1/2 inch wood looks factoru. Had planks left over frim house floors Attachment 231870Attachment 231871
Another vote for luxury vinyl planks. I suggest snap-together over glue-down. Neither laminate nor wood will hold up to even a small amount of water that's not noticed. Even the newer, "waterproof" laminates are only good for 24 hours or so. It's only a matter of time until you experience some form of leak (usually at a slide out).

If you can get the installation done for $200 or even $500, go for it. It's not a difficult DIY job but there's a learning curve and your knees and back will thank you later.

Note that you're probably not going to get a decent price from a dealer for installation. In fact, they may not agree to installation since most of these materials aren't warranted for RVs, not that they're not OK for RVs, but there are too many variables compared to a residential or commercial install. Most dealers hire independent installers anyway so check Craigslist and other sources. It's amazing how fast these guys can work.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #13

If there are wear marks in the carpet from the slide be prepared for wear marks in the wood. This is why motorhomes use ceramic tile.
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #14

About 6 years ago I did our Endeavor (now sold). I used Bruce Hardwood Laminate and it came out very nice. As mentioned, a lot of staples. No surprises as compared with doing a house. You may need some leveling compound to fill imperfections. I used premium foam underlayment. If I remember correctly cost was about $600 for a 37 ft. RV (minus toilet area tile) ... my tools and labor.

Tags
carpet, floor, flooring