Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2022, 03:51 PM   #1

This didn't end well..

Four days after taking this pic, I noticed camp hosts, armed with shovels and rakes, trying to clean up a nasty mess in the now empty site. They were not happy hosts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221104_090346.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	534.9 KB
ID:	380626  
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2022, 03:58 PM   #2

I assume the drain hose is going onto the ground. I can't see the end of it. Not a good thing to do.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I assume the drain hose is going onto the ground. I can't see the end of it. Not a good thing to do.
I am thinking since the hose had no support underneath it, the hose pulled out of the sewer hole and the water dumped out on the ground: So, effectively what you are saying.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #4
US1

So..... you saw a concern, took a picture, then waited for the outcome?
US1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #5

I can't tell what happened from the picture.

However, we were volunteering in a national park and one of our 'jobs' was to dig down about 2' under the roadside water spigots and replace with new soil and stones.

People used the spigots for washing dishes, brushing their teeth, washing their hair, etc. and water wasn't draining from the ground creating large puddles. What an awful job that was.... food particles, bones, toothpaste, hair.....

Another one was catching a guy sitting in an outside camp sink taking his nightly bath. The sink was meant for washing dishes with plenty of signage.

Some people have no regard for others.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1 View Post
So..... you saw a concern, took a picture, then waited for the outcome?

I'm not sure in today's climate approaching the owner of a trailer that looks like it's been repainted flat OD green about a possible problem with their drain hose would be the wisest course of action. A lot of people today don't take kindly to suggestions, or sharing of knowledge or experience, even from campground management or other authority.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
No way to tell what the problem is from the photo. Having worked a campground host for several years, we find that most of the campers are pretty decent and do not make a big mess, but some need to be banned from camping. They do not know how to hoop up the sewer, they do not know how to drive the rig, they do not teach the kids to pick up their trash and the list goes on and on.

We stopped hosting after a summer where we had to clean up human waste from the shower 3 times. It was even smeared on the ceiling. There are some really stupid and sick people out there. The only way they can feel good about themselves is to make a mess for someone else to clean up.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
I'm not sure in today's climate approaching the owner of a trailer that looks like it's been repainted flat OD green about a possible problem with their drain hose would be the wisest course of action. A lot of people today don't take kindly to suggestions, or sharing of knowledge or experience, even from campground management or other authority.
In Wisconsin State Parks, the campground host is required to notify an armed ranger to approach offending campers. Not every campground has an armed ranger. One may have to respond from some distance away.

If the camper is available and clearly friendly, then offering to help is usually OK. If not, it is sometimes easier to work around them and clean up afterwards.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post

I agree, society seems to have reverted to the MYOB attitude of 200 years ago.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:01 PM   #10

OP here, when I took the pic, the hose was completely unsupported, not touching the ground and stretched to its limit while attached to sewer in FHU site. Never saw the owners, since we were camped in a different loop and only walked this loop twice. Based on where in the site the hosts were cleaning, I think the hose separated from its fitting at the RV end when the dump valve was pulled. I did mention it to the RV owner in the next site, no idea if he talked to them.
StephenW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #11

Everyone should have one of these sewer hose supports...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDQQJ2

Although, in this case with the sewer hose stretched to it's maximum it might not have helped.

Be smart out there...
Chris
SJ-Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I agree, society seems to have reverted to the MYOB attitude of 200 years ago.
Honestly, that is where we should be. I'm so tired of people getting getting into others business and being offended for everyone else and caring what anyone else does when it doesn't impact anyone else.

In this case however, the issue became the business of, or had the potential to become the business of, the camp hosts so it could have been addressed.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ-Chris View Post
Everyone should have one of these sewer hose supports...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDQQJ2

Although, in this case with the sewer hose stretched to it's maximum it might not have helped.

Be smart out there...
Chris
Yes, Some campgrounds require your dump hose cannot touch the ground and post the requirement...obviously referring to usage of one of these "slinkys" type things..

If that was the case in this campground, This guy must have taken the "can not touch the ground" the wrong way.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:20 AM   #14

There are responsible RVers who leave a site equal to or better than they found it and then there are people who are just irresponsible and care nothing about how their presence affects another's property. Our actions are a reflection of how we were raised and who we really are.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote