Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Thor Palazzo or Newmar Ventana
Palazzo 2 6.25%
Ventana 30 93.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I would have thought that the Thor owners would jump into the discussion and give their feed back on ownership experience ...........
I've been reluctant to state my "opinion" as I basically do not like to trash any thing, a person, a product or a brand. In reading this forum, RV.net and the Thor Forum, there are a lot of people out there who love their units and wouldn't want to trade it or listen to some malcontent rant about one that did not meet their expectations. So, as accurately as possible I'll state the circumstances of my ownership time with a Thor. I had my "New" off the lot 2014 Thor for 145 days, all but 17 days of that, it was in the shop for a several major repairs of the slide system, one for major adjustments, one being a complete track replacement and the other to replace a motor it ripped out and to redo the opening in which the slide operates as it was apparently cut and installed out of square. Then there was the body, paint, right side mirror and right turn signal camera replacement and graphic replacement plus a multiple item list relating to poor workmanship and little or no quality control. Of the 17 days I had it, 3 days were at the purchasing dealership which were used for transferring the household items from one to the other, had to have the slide reset twice while doing the transfer, 6 days on the road and the slide started malfunctioning again on the last morning prior to getting home and 2 days to unload and clean from trip with slide in a partially open position and 6 days it was sitting while I found the time to get it across town to the shop. Even though a factor tech had come in to do the repair, I had not only lost faith in the unit, but the slide still did not sound right to me. After reviewing the repairs, and determining that they did no meet my satisfaction, I ask the mechanic to hold the unit while I went up front to talk to a salesman about another unit. Four hours later DW and I signed a purchase agreement on a Winnebago Itasca Sunstar 35F which we picked up yesterday afternoon, and BTW, this is our second Winnebago product. One warranty issue on the first, a cable clip on the living area chair that allowed the swivel to release.

This is my experience, I would not dream of telling you not to buy a Thor, but I don't think I'd buy another. You decide, Thor or Newmar.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Resist, for $144,000 you can probably get a good used Newmar if you check our classifieds for it.
Google for them also.

Here is one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #17

Just realized I made a mistake, the Ventana was supposed to be the LE version, sorry.

Did some reading about Newmar's comfort drive system and seems like a huge plus. Not sure I like the entry in front of the passenger seat, but I get the benefits. I wish a residential size fridge was standard, like it is on the Palazzo.

I prefer to buy a new motorhome, even though doing so means taking a huge depreciation hit. But hey, most vehicles aren't investments anyway.

I also would rather not go larger than a 34ft coach, not yet anyway.
Resist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVSolomons View Post
Dogtales, have you considered a gently used to get the quality you want, yet closer to the price point you need? That is where I intend to go once I sell our bus conversion.
RVSolomans...Yes, sir.
Actually a used MH gives a better value to the next owner than a new purchase....in most instances....if it fills your needs. I'm a realist at heart and know that I will find something....as long as I do my part in the search.....which is half the fun at this point. With retirement just around the corner for me in a year or so I don't have to bite at the first apple that falls from the tree...I just need to be satisfied that the RV, new or used, was the best choice for me.
I do like that design of the Thor Super C Outlaw with the Ford diesel though just wish the craftsmanship was there.
Dogtales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Used motorhome toyhaulers are rare in the market, and used diesel toyhaulers only a fraction of those.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resist View Post
Yet costs significantly more.
I think you have been up that road before. Not trying to be argumentative but what is your priority? Quality or price? Yes, there is a balance between the two but what is more important.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Yea, sorry about that. I'm just undecided at this time on what I want to get. The cost is important to me, but so is the quality. I just want to make the right decision and not waste my time or money.

I can get a 2014 Palazzo 33.2 with all the options for $144,000, that's a great price from what I can tell. The only problem is that I have to go out of state to get it. I'm still searching for a Newmar deal.
If price is a factor why waste money on a rapidly depreciating asset? Similar to what has said in another thread...spend $144K on a 3-4 year old Newmar and you will still be ahead in quality plus the "new bugs" should have been worked out.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #22

As I stated before, I don't consider a vehicle an investment. I also prefer a new motorhome.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Used motorhome toyhaulers are rare in the market, and used diesel toyhaulers only a fraction of those.
True! With the Newmar Diesels had a mid engine chassis (so not a true pusher) and they were and are rare. No longer made either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Resist, I read mustang652 comments then went to the Thor forum to follow up on what was said. Up until I got here, I thought it was just new owner blues. They ALL have them. But from this point here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/lett...ml#post1648482 It appears that there is a serious slide issue. What concerns me is the lack of response by Thor to the owners. Too many owners saying the same thing. Read it and draw your own conclusions.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #25

Evergreen Owners Club
I just bought a new 2014 Palazzo and so far it's been great a few small problems but nothing crazy .

the Newmar will be around $ 20 to $ 30 k more easy ,

I have been researching rv's for a few year's and it seem's like if you spend $ 140 k or $ 340 k you will still have problem's, shoot I even read where a guy bought a million dollar Rv and still had problem's .

I didn't want to spend an extra $ 30 k for some fit and finish that doesn't mean anything to me so I bought the palazzo on the same Freightliner chassis with the same cummins motor as the other more expensive brand that have a more luxury finish .

There is a Rv for every budget and and person .

make your own decision on what you want to buy , just think you can spend more and still be guaranteed to have problem's

mike
Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
As I stated before, I don't consider a vehicle an investment. I also prefer a new motorhome.
Here I go being argumentative but...there isn't a single depreciating asset that is a good "investment".

The only thing you can do is purchase something with the least potential for depreciation. At that point, it is a numbers game. Do you measure deprecation in % or actual $. That is your decision. But with that being said, I would certainly lean towards an RV with a solid reputation with less chance of value loss.

Personally, it makes no difference to me if you chose to buy new because that is YOUR choice and I can appreciate that some folks just want what they want. I don't judge that aspect and say best wishes and best of luck. That isn't said to by cynical either. What I want to clarify for other novices looking for an RV is that an RV (NEW or USED) is not a great "investment".

BTW...you will notice that I haven't trash talked any other model but regarding the slide issues. I have some friends that have taken their NEW Thor back to the factory to get the slides fixed. Came out of track. A couple weeks after this, one of the slides is broken again. Given a rather large number of slide issues that seem to be generated out of Thor...I'm just sayin'...

In the end, I still am confused by your approach. You seem to say you want value but your commentary on cost seems to say price.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebrls View Post
I just bought a new 2014 Palazzo ...

I didn't want to spend an extra $ 30 k for some fit and finish that doesn't mean anything to me so I bought the palazzo on the same Freightliner chassis with the same cummins motor as the other more expensive brand that have a more luxury finish .

There is a Rv for every budget and and person ....
Mike, you make an excellent point and clearly decided what was important to you. No back handed complement there!

Every coach has the potential to be problematic. Certainly, there are different philosophies employed by different manufacturers that play a part. As an example, Newmar has used a very well tested slide system for a long time. There are not many complaints by owners that they behave badly very often. Anecdotally, Thor appears to have more commentary about slides. It is my observation but I could be wrong. Still...after doing a lot of my searching I came away with that in the back of my brain. That doesn't mean every Thor will have a bad slide nor does that mean every Newmar will never have a slide problem which goes to one of your main points.

The OP...whom seems as anally retentive as I am...has posted a few threads with similar questions trying to get opinion in a head to head fashion about quality vs price. I'm good with that. It just seems the OP is saying they want quality and yet defends price justification.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:39 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
It just seems the OP is saying they want quality and yet defends price justification.
I guess I'm just as confused, because I want good quality and a great price. This will be my first motorhome purchase and I don't want it to be a huge mistake.

Tags
newmar, thor, vent