Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Those Caravans...

In the interests of full disclosure let me be upfront about my biases on caravans to Alaska, and in general.

With the exception of a Club such as the Airstream one for example, there really is no reason for a caravan to get one to and from Alaska.

I personally want to go, where I want when I want at my sole discretion therefore a caravan is antithetical to me.

I have no interest in someone else choosing where I stay and for how long and being peer-pressured into participating in all those "Happy Camper" round-the-fireside pot lucks and gatherings.

Okay now with that out of the way. Being here in this RV Park in Fairbanks for 5 months I see several big caravans come through each season. In fact there is one here presently.

I seriously wonder what kind of value for money these folks are getting when they typically stay as long as a WEEK to TEN DAYS.

Now as great as Fairbanks is there is a limited number of things to do here that are worth while and all of them can be done in 3 days easily.

The Museum of the North at the University of Alaska Fairbanks is my number one, The Riverboat Discovery tour (Alaska's most popular attraction many years running) is number two. Then there is the Gold Dredge 8, Santa Claus house out in North Pole (popular but not somewhere I would spend time as it is basically a big gift shop as is the Gold Dredge) and Pioneer park.

That's it. That sums up the big attractions of Fairbanks.

The riverboat and Gold dredge can be done in one day and is typically sold as a package (as they are owned by the same family) Pioneer park could be done as dinner at the Salmon Bake and an evening stroll. Santa Claus house is a morning at best and that leaves plenty of time to relax and go to the best of the lot the Museum of the North.

So I ask myself WHAT are these folks DOING here for so Long.

There are much more scenic and wondrous places around Alaska that deserve much more time than Fairbanks including Valdez, Homer, Seward, Skagway and of course Denali National Park.

So it makes me wonder who is in charge of these caravans and who sets their itineraries? And are the people who take them, who arguably know little of Alaska or they wouldn't have opted for the caravan, aware that they could be spending their valuable vacation time somewhere much more deserving, scenic and interesting than Fairbanks?

My advice to those who are thinking about a caravan is to stop and do some real research, decide what is important to you and realize that the drive up here is easy with plenty of fuel stops and a good road. Don't let some company and a "Wagon Master" make the decisions for you. Go on your own and my bet is your time will be more profitably and rewardingly spent.

Of course there are other issues with caravans as well. They clog the two lane highway between here and Denali, a drive I make up to 5 times a week, making getting around their slow, awkwardly and often incompetently driven vehicles difficult if not downright dangerous. Their group tends to think they "own" the RV park while they are here, being noisy, mobbing the laundry and letting their dogs poop in other peoples sites. Not all of their participants are so ill mannered but all too often many are. I think they think they are special.

I also think many people opt for a caravan out of fear. Fear of the unknown and of so much misinformation about the drive and it's difficulty.

I can't wait till the "Wagon Master" rounds 'em up and heads 'em out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Those Caravans...

We went on our own in 04. Spent two months there and covered a lot of ground. We always run into Caravans and other than safety in numbers and a few other benefits , I personally didn’t understand the allure to them. I’ve had conversations with some participants and figured their cost was about double what mine was.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Old 08-04-2019, 12:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Happy to read this. Think I will just take a Cruise and not have to put up with all the inconviences you describe.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:46 PM   #4

I was in San Antonio when one of these caravans stopped in for a week. For "Texas BBQ night" they fed the poor saps the cheapest most vile product in town.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

Different Strokes for Different Folks.

We did a 50 day AK Caravan in 2014 with Adventure Treks out of Grapevine, TX. It was a fair chunk of change but at the end of it all we felt it was money well spent. Enjoyed every minute, met some really nice people and saw and did things we might not have on our own.
Would we do it again? Absolutely.......
Old 08-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #6

You've been stuck in Fairbanks 4 months and 27 days past the time it was fun? You poor dear!

Having spent half my life in Alaska, I challenge the notion that everything worthwhile can be seen in three days. If that happened to you, you're doing it wrong. It's not a race.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFT View Post
I have no interest in someone else choosing where I stay and for how long and being peer-pressured into participating in all those "Happy Camper" round-the-fireside pot lucks and gatherings.

Then perhaps you are not the kind of person those caravan trips are targeting. There are people in this world who enjoy the company of other like minded people and will happily sit around a campfire snacking and talking to you until the sun rises.

Quote:
I seriously wonder what kind of value for money these folks are getting when they typically stay as long as a WEEK to TEN DAYS.

Now as great as Fairbanks is there is a limited number of things to do here that are worth while and all of them can be done in 3 days easily.

The Museum of the North at the University of Alaska Fairbanks is my number one, The Riverboat Discovery tour (Alaska's most popular attraction many years running) is number two. Then there is the Gold Dredge 8, Santa Claus house out in North Pole (popular but not somewhere I would spend time as it is basically a big gift shop as is the Gold Dredge) and Pioneer park.

That's it. That sums up the big attractions of Fairbanks.
Really? Have you done the Arctic Circle drive? Read a book over by the Chena hot springs? Found the Northern Lights over at Murphy Dome? Been on an ATV tour? Caught some trout over in the Chena river? Gone rafting down the Chena? Photographed your new canine companion next to a campfire with the Chatanika River Valley as a backdrop? Camped overnight with that same dog and slept under the northern lights?

Maybe other people find other things worthwhile.

Quote:
The riverboat and Gold dredge can be done in one day and is typically sold as a package (as they are owned by the same family) Pioneer park could be done as dinner at the Salmon Bake and an evening stroll. Santa Claus house is a morning at best and that leaves plenty of time to relax and go to the best of the lot the Museum of the North.

So I ask myself WHAT are these folks DOING here for so Long.
Maybe they are taking their time and relaxing. I once spent a week at Carlsbad Caverns and saw or did something I'd never experienced before every day. And I still haven't seen parts of it that system.

Quote:
There are much more scenic and wondrous places around Alaska that deserve much more time than Fairbanks including Valdez, Homer, Seward, Skagway and of course Denali National Park.

So it makes me wonder who is in charge of these caravans and who sets their itineraries? And are the people who take them, who arguably know little of Alaska or they wouldn't have opted for the caravan, aware that they could be spending their valuable vacation time somewhere much more deserving, scenic and interesting than Fairbanks?
Then why are you in Fairbanks? If all those other places are so much better, why are you spending so much time in Fairbanks to know that those people are there for a week to 10 days? You've clearly done everything you want to do there. Pack up and leave, then you won't have to worry about those pesky caravans and their stupid pot luck campfires.
Seriously, you're spending 5 months in Fairbanks, and complaining about people who are only spending a week there?!

Quote:
My advice to those who are thinking about a caravan is to stop and do some real research, decide what is important to you and realize that the drive up here is easy with plenty of fuel stops and a good road. Don't let some company and a "Wagon Master" make the decisions for you. Go on your own and my bet is your time will be more profitably and rewardingly spent.
Those people probably did that research and decided on that caravan as best fitting their needs and desires. Clearly, it isn't the best for you though. You would plan a completely different trip that fits your needs and desires better. It doesn't mean they made a bad choice; it just means they made a different choice.
For example, my brother in law would absolutely love a pub crawl through Dublin. Nothing would make him happier than to drink a beer at every pub in the city. That's like a little trip through Hell for me. If I were in Dublin, I'd check out some of the castles of Ireland and learn about their history. I'd also check out Saint Patrick's Cathedral, Kilmainham Gaol, The Cliffs of Moher, etc. As far as I'm concerned, there are so many better things to do in Dublin than go bar hopping.

Quote:
Of course there are other issues with caravans as well. They clog the two lane highway between here and Denali, a drive I make up to 5 times a week, making getting around their slow, awkwardly and often incompetently driven vehicles difficult if not downright dangerous. Their group tends to think they "own" the RV park while they are here, being noisy, mobbing the laundry and letting their dogs poop in other peoples sites. Not all of their participants are so ill mannered but all too often many are. I think they think they are special.

I also think many people opt for a caravan out of fear. Fear of the unknown and of so much misinformation about the drive and it's difficulty.

I can't wait till the "Wagon Master" rounds 'em up and heads 'em out.
Will you also shake your fist at them and yell "Get off my lawn!"
Old 08-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
You've been stuck in Fairbanks 4 months and 27 days past the time it was fun? You poor dear!

Having spent half my life in Alaska, I challenge the notion that everything worthwhile can be seen in three days. If that happened to you, you're doing it wrong. It's not a race.

First, I am working here for Holland America/Princess cruises as a Driver Guide. I will be here a total of 5 months this is my 3rd year. I first came here in 1972 and have been everywhere in Alaska one can go by road dirt and otherwise as well as by air and boat.(And my opinions are my own and do not reflect the policy or position of HAP Alaska.) That is why I am here for so long.

Second, yea there are other things to see in and around Fairbanks but are they better than what can be done and seen elsewhere in the state? Are they worth staying here ten days?

My premise is they are not and there are better places and better sights to spend those days on elsewhere in Alaska.

From Itchytoe:" Really? Have you done the Arctic Circle drive? Read a book over by the Chena hot springs? Found the Northern Lights over at Murphy Dome? Been on an ATV tour? Caught some trout over in the Chena river? Gone rafting down the Chena? Photographed your new canine companion next to a campfire with the Chatanika River Valley as a backdrop? Camped overnight with that same dog and slept under the northern lights?"

I lived here for two years in the 70's. Worked as a young man on the North Slope an did the Deadliest Catch thing out of Hoonah AK when I was 21 years old. Been there done all of that and you can''t see the Northen lights this time of year due to the fact it's light out all night... and I still think there are better ways to spend a limited amount of time in Alaska than ten days in Fairbanks.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:41 PM   #9

Read the numerous posts not only on this site, but many others.

1. Can I drive my RV to Alaska? No. There are no maps...it’s wilderness.
2. Will my windshield get chipped? Mine has been in lower 48.
3. We will make new, lifetime forever friends. Maybe. But being a considerate camping neighbor on your own, with friendly non intrusive greetings may establish the same. People have more tendency to approach individuals than groups IMHO. Conversely, what if there are people in your group that, for whatever reasons...and there could be many...that you do not want to be with? Hey, roadmaster, don’t park us next to so and so. Dog is pi$$ing on my aluminum rims and they refuse to pick up poop. Glad I paid 10 grand for THIS adventure.
4. Yippee, pot luck tonight. Wife spent 1/2 day preparing favorites. Neighbors brought Potato chips.
5. Help me, I know next to nothing about my motorhome. Is the The REAL REASON?
6. I bought my RV for adventure. I have the dough and can pay for someone to bail me out...if it gets too adventurous.

I could go on and on. But some, not all, will get my drift.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
First, I am working here for Holland America/Princess cruises as a Driver Guide. I will be here a total of 5 months this is my 3rd year. I first came here in 1972 and have been everywhere in Alaska one can go by road dirt and otherwise as well as by air and boat.(And my opinions are my own and do not reflect the policy or position of HAP Alaska.) That is why I am here for so long.

Second, yea there are other things to see in and around Fairbanks but are they better than what can be done and seen elsewhere in the state? Are they worth staying here ten days?

My premise is they are not and there are better places and better sights to spend those days on elsewhere in Alaska.
So where does the cruise ship dock in FBKS?

As you're a short-timer, seasonal opportunist with a spoilers' agenda (cruise ships -- the most maligned horde of out-of-state invaders), I can see why past the Princess top-5 recommended list you'd think there's nothing to see here. Lucky for Alaska there are folks looking for memories and adventure beyond the rubber totem pole shops and fur jockstraps. The rest of you, please go home.

Folks, Alaska is big. It's so big that if you cut it in half, Texas would be the third biggest state. It covers 4 actual time zones (though we march to only one for simplicity's sake). Properly sized, it stretches border to border and coast to coast over a USA, lower 48 map. It's so big that wildfires burn an area the size of Vermont every year and it doesn't make the news. If you want to see anything more than the cruise ship itinerary, it could well take more than three days just to get there. For most of us Alaska is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Don't let an outsider with a chip on his shoulder ruin it for you.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
I lived here for two years in the 70's. Worked as a young man on the North Slope an did the Deadliest Catch thing out of Hoonah AK when I was 21 years old. Been there done all of that and you can''t see the Northen lights this time of year due to the fact it's light out all night... and I still think there are better ways to spend a limited amount of time in Alaska than ten days in Fairbanks.

That's exactly my point. I lived in Louisiana for decades. After a weekend trip to New Orleans, I'm bored and have done everything worth doing. The Big Easy is a day trip for me. For someone from Nebraska, it's paradise with the best food in the world for at least a week. There's always something for them to do. Heck, most people are perfectly happy walking around the French Quarter all day. To me, that's completely not worth the time and energy spent on the walk. To them, it's coolest thing they've seen in their life.

Though I don't enjoy a week trip to New Orleans, I can at least understand that other people have different tastes and might enjoy it.
Old 08-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodekyll View Post
So where does the cruise ship dock in FBKS?

As you're a short-timer, seasonal opportunist with a spoilers' agenda (cruise ships -- the most maligned horde of out-of-state invaders), I can see why past the Princess top-5 recommended list you'd think there's nothing to see here. Lucky for Alaska there are folks looking for memories and adventure beyond the rubber totem pole shops and fur jockstraps. The rest of you, please go home.

Folks, Alaska is big. It's so big that if you cut it in half, Texas would be the third biggest state. It covers 4 actual time zones (though we march to only one for simplicity's sake). Properly sized, it stretches border to border and coast to coast over a USA, lower 48 map. It's so big that wildfires burn an area the size of Vermont every year and it doesn't make the news. If you want to see anything more than the cruise ship itinerary, it could well take more than three days just to get there. For most of us Alaska is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Don't let an outsider with a chip on his shoulder ruin it for you.

Your post is interesting. In the first paragraph you attack me personally, (firmly against the rules) question my motives for being here and show your almost complete lack of knowledge about the cruise industry in Alaska and tourism in Alaska overall.

Then in the second paragraph you pretty much make my argument for me explaining how much more there is to see all over Alaska than in Fairbanks...

So here are some facts:

1.93 MILLION touristrs visited Alaska in 2018

1.3 Million of them arrived on Cruise ships.

Tens of Thousands of "Opportunists" like me are needed to handle that influx and they come from as far away as Bulgaria and the Ukraine. There are not enough Alaskans or others from the lower 48 states that want to do these jobs.

Now to your first paragraph again; Every possible kind of outing can be booked through the cruise lines including here in Fairbanks, ATV tours, Arctic Flights, Chena Hot springs and many many others...But again in my opinion as a guide and having done most of them there are better places than Fairbanks to do them from..

And cruise passengers only go where they CHOOSE to go by booking what interests them. There is no set itinerary beyond the basic stops of the given tour and there are so many iterations of those even we cant keep up on them all.

Second; Fairbanks is the largest base for Holland America/Princess here. How it works for the land portions is this; The ships dock in Skagway and Whittier et al ports and people start their land portion from there. Meanwhile an equal number of folks fly in to Fairbanks from home and move south to the ships.

So you are right no ships dock at Fairbanks. But we do have more than 50 Buses and drivers to handle the daily needs of moving thousands of people around Fairbanks and south.
Old 08-05-2019, 11:20 AM   #13
Community Administrator

This thread has gone off in a confrontational direction that has nothing to do with the topic. It’s time to move on.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Closed Thread