Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #57

I live in the Tampa Florida Area and like many other parts of the country the wiring in my home is not the deciding factor on whether to use a surge protector or not, its the local weather conditions, power surges coming in from the electrical grid and more importantly low power situations due to brownouts.

To me its even more important to have a voltage correction device along with surge protection to deal with rolling brownouts that occur constantly throughout the day.

When I put a UPS in to protect my PC and another on the entertainment center it really opened my eyes since I leave the audible alerts turned on so it was quite an education to hear how many times each day power levels would drop to where the UPS would kick in and provide a boost from battery backup.

I started monitoring my Autoformer in the RV when plugged in at home after that and yes it goes into boost mode many times during the day as voltage level drop unacceptably low from the power grid.

So yes I always use both surge protection and power correction even when at home. I am also considering getting a whole house voltage correction unit so I can enjoy the same level of reliability that comes from having proper voltage levels throughout the house instead of just at select outlets that have the Autoformer or a UPS on them.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #58

I usually do use the surge protector on the MH when plugged on the house system. We get unannounced power outages from time to time and often with a surge when ic comes back on. I also have surge protectors on all my appliances. Lost the washer once and don't want that to happen again.
Oldforester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #59

It's on the end of my power cord. I got it, it won't wear out, it is cheap insurance. When I can, I'll replace my transfer switch with one which has surge protection built in.
Bob '14 Winnebago ADventurer 37F, Jeep Toad
bobfrommaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:50 AM   #60

Yup, always plugged in.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
surge protector

Wow!! I don't own one but you can bet I will by the next time I go camping. Just didn't realize how important they are and how many people use them.
I'm glad I read this thread
Thanks, everyone
jeddpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #62

I agree and use it at home as well, even though I have a whole house surge protector installed at the meter.
Recalculatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:02 AM   #63

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hencye View Post
Don't forget though when it comes to lightning, that most of the time they come from cable, TV antennas, telephone, and internet wires, so protect them as well! I chose the Surge Guard that is kept locked up in my basement because I don't want it stolen! Works great!

Been there done that. Heard the lightning hit the ground on the side of the house where the cable and phone wires come in. Took out one entire computer, phone modem on another, microwave, etc.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #64

All the time
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddpearl View Post
Wow!! I don't own one but you can bet I will by the next time I go camping. Just didn't realize how important they are and how many people use them.
I'm glad I read this thread
Thanks, everyone
Hey JeddPearl. Yeah, I didn't own one either...they're not cheap..they're also not too expensive. But this past summer I knew we'd be camping at various campgrounds with full hookups, which was a bit different for us. We prefer to boondock whenever possible, but this time I booked all the CG's a few months in advance, so I wanted to be safe.

Oh, and the other reason is we finally started towing a car so I knew we'd be leaving the RV plugged in all day while we were gallivanting all over the place with the toad. FREEDOM! Normally we'd take our bikes or RV for sightseeing. So having the Surge Protector was peace of mind while away. And yes, I would lock it to the pedestal...just in case.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:36 AM   #66

If you own it why not use it

I own it so I use it wherever I am.
TPS12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:43 AM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayco19 View Post
While plugged in at your home do you always use your surge protector?
I can see why to always use at campgrounds because of lots of things there. High demand on power causing low voltage- high voltage-bad wiring-etc etc. But at home those are not near as likely to happen. Just curious what other do.
It’s wired in permanently. I live out in the country and power goes out at least once a year. Why would you risk a power spike or surge doing damage?
Old 10-21-2019, 03:07 PM   #68

I always use it ... even with my 50 amp home hook up. Easier than disconnecting it at home anyway!
jedicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 03:58 AM   #69

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
At home everywhere there are electronics there are surge protectors.
Janjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:17 AM   #70

We have a 30 amp outlet at home and I have a 50 amp PI portable power mgt/surge protector. I wasn't sure if it would work plugging into 50-30 pigtail?
It makes sense to protect it at home too.
4dakids is offline   Reply With Quote