Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #29

I bought a surge protector because of a power surge at home that fried my transfer switch. If you think nothing can happen at home you are mistaken.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #30

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Those with portable surge protector

Yes, I never plug in anywhere without my portable EMS. It found an open ground at home once. It shut off power to the rig. Without it, the rig had a hot skin. Good thing I don't walk barefoot and the ground was not wet.

Also, we get lots of power outages and brown outs, etc here. I feel it is best to be protected. If we stay here permanently, I will look into a whole house surge protector.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:19 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Yes, I never plug in anywhere without my portable EMS. It found an open ground at home once. It shut off power to the rig. Without it, the rig had a hot skin. Good thing I don't walk barefoot and the ground was not wet.

Also, we get lots of power outages and brown outs, etc here. I feel it is best to be protected. If we stay here permanently, I will look into a whole house surge protector.
Having a hot skin due to an open ground means you have a short from a current carrying wire to ground in the RV.

The ground is a safety wire and not meant to carry current unless something is wrong.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It was in the wall of the house, on the same line as the RV was plugged into. I had to pull each outlet on the line out of the wall until I found it. Wire pulled out of the back of the plug, in the wall. Some day I need to wrap each wire around the screw in every outlet in the house. Others have also pull out on their own.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSuper View Post
Why don't you just put it in your electrical storage compartment ? That's how we do ours in storage.
Our cord is hardwired into our transfer switch, so the only place the EMS can go is outside the coach.

Although, since we only have 20A service there, I suppose we could just run a regular extension cord into the bay. Might be worth doing, although I would definitely want a heavier-duty extension cord than I currently have. My current ones all get burning hot just when I use them to run my little tire inflator.

Does the 50A Progressive EMS work properly on 15/20A service, or does it interpret the missing leg as a wiring fault? I would hope it works, but I've never tried.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM   #34

Ours is hardwired but even if it wasn't I would still use it. We have had brown outs here and I would go and shut off the main breaker until the power company fixed things.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Not at home, only at CGs for me.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmar View Post
Ok, ok, ok.......I’m wrong. $300 and sitting in a box don’t help anything. I’ll use it always from now on!!! 40 yrs, same home location, no surges or anything, but.....ya never know.

?????Just throwin’ this out there...Got to our campsite tonight and plugged in our Progressive Ind 50A EMS. Monitored parameters all good but when I plugged in the MH there was no power in the coach and the EMS still said all was ok. Removed the EMS and hooked straight to the coach and had power. EMS worked great on last use. Go figure.

Same thing happened to me. Returned the unit as faulty and progressive replaced it
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #37

Thor Owners Club
I use a portable protector that also cuts out for high and low voltage. Instead of going through the hassle of locking it to a pedestal, I cut the cord to the RV, put a male end on the shortened RV line, mounted the protector in the bay, put a female end on the former RV cable, mounted the remote display in the coach with the other control panels. Now, my protector is always connected, and can be easily replaced if it ever sacrifices itself for a big surge. And it is always secure in the locked bay. Less than $25 worth of plugs and electrical tape. Cheaper than a lock and chain and a lot less hassle and bulk.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
Same thing happened to me. Returned the unit as faulty and progressive replaced it

Well.......after “further” reading we found that it indeed has a time delay for self checking power supply circuits. Set a timer, sip a beer and, if unit says all is ok, watch/hear it click close and power up the coach in its allotted time frame. Pretty smart. Works great...at the CG and home.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #39

I use the surge protector at home because a surge can still occur. Because it’s less likely to happen doesn’t mean it won’t happen.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #40

We don't use surge protector at home. But of course not much is turned on, night light is only 120 Volt load routinely energized. Overhead lights are all 12V, are seldom on as we don't go into rig very often once we've unloaded if after a trip.
762vram2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:58 PM   #41

Always On

I'm an electrical engineer that chose to be involved in high end home automation, controls, etc for a living for almost 30 years. I've used surge protection on everything valuable to me for as long as I can remember. I have a surge protector directly wired to my home and a Surge Guard unit directly wired to my 5th wheel. They both are employed 100% of the time. I've seen some crazy stuff happen from out of nowhere. Nothing can stop direct hits of lighting, but these both do a good job at 99% of what hits. Don't forget though when it comes to lightning, that most of the time they come from cable, TV antennas, telephone, and internet wires, so protect them as well! I chose the Surge Guard that is kept locked up in my basement because I don't want it stolen! Works great!
hencye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #42

Texas Boomers Club
I don’t use mine at home. I know I have clean power there.
Glensouth is offline   Reply With Quote