Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thoughts for Spare Tire Storage

We have a 2017 HR Vesta 31U (class C) which did not come with a spare tire. Any thoughts on best way to address this issue? Carry an unmounted spare tire; a spare and wheel; how to store. Thanks for any input.
rhc1069chr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

Were I to decide to carry a spare I would carry an unmounted spare tire to save weight and leave open the option to carry stuff inside the unmounted tire.
What tire size are we discussing? I would not carry a 16" spare, however 19.5 are sometimes hard to find and when found are expensive to buy when you're depending on road service.
Keep in mind spares must be replaced on the same time schedule as your tires on the MH.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:49 PM   #3

I went to a salvage yard and got a spare tire winch from a pickup truck. Then I built a cross member to hold the winch and mounted it in the huge opening my frame had in the back. It's out of the way and safe.
Old 06-19-2021, 10:12 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I went to a salvage yard and got a spare tire winch from a pickup truck. Then I built a cross member to hold the winch and mounted it in the huge opening my frame had in the back. It's out of the way and safe.

Great idea!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:39 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
This is what I did. Tire just fits between frame and is out of the way.

It's a 22.5, so pretty heavy. Just a tire for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	332784   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	332785  

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:20 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I want/ have a mounted spare, my 1999 floorplan came w/ spare under rear, forward of hitch. 2017 New to me, maiden voyage, had some trouble, added air on RF, and stopped shortly after for a short 1-hour visit in small town, ARK, holiday weekend Friday Evening, 6:PM... Forgot "walk-around" but immediately knew on pulling out of drive. Had ERS, no tire tools, slow response, truck did not show up until midnight; said office 1-hour/50-miles away, he had a big tow, lost air pressure, had to repair air hose on roadside, drop towed 100-miles away, had to return to office and swap trucks. THEN I found my spare was 12-years old, so needed TWO tires... back on road, after sunrise, son found WM w/ two tires 100-miles ahead of my position at the time, so stopped there about 11:00AM... but short doors, NO WORK outside, so I had to pull spare off front and change (they offered to loan tools), but I went ahead and bought/ tested what I needed, including TORQUE WRENCH and RATCHET EXTENSIONS for REARS. I also found I was NOT capable of getting spare back into storage, (so put it inside until later)... Rack is hinged triangle w/ all-thread and Barrel Nut.. May try to convert to spare tire winch if they ever ship the BAL (brand) part I ordered in January...
Old 06-20-2021, 04:50 AM   #7

I have 19.5's on my 2020 Thor Magnitude Super C and they weigh over 100lbs. I didn't want to mount anyting under the coach and have to deal with the weight, weather or ground conditions.

Its pricey but I purchased the Roadmaster Spare Tire Carrier and it works great. The weight of the tire and rim are a non-issue with it and it could not be easier to mount / mount the spare.

https://www.roadmasterinc.com/produc...tire/index.php
Judge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #8

X2 on the Roadmaster spare tire carrier plus it comes with a built-in receiver so you can still use your tow bar to tow your towed.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #9

Unmounted 22.5" spare fits (barely) in the crossover between the basement lockers on my gasser. Will require road service to mount it, but at least we won't have to wait for a replacement tire to arrive from who-knows-where.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #10

I also have the Roadmaster spare tire mount and love it!

I am not a mechanic but I do play one in my garage!
OlYeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tire