RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 PM   #1

Thoughts on 2 different motorhomes.

option 1, buy a diesel sprinter Class C

option 2 buy a V10 powered Class C and use the money saved on gasoline.

In the end I wonder how the cost to own compares.

How many cents a mile?

AK-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 12:02 AM   #2

I think most / all Sprinters have far less cargo carrying capacity (pounds) than most similar sized class C's. I was at an RV show earlier today and just for informational purposes looked at the OCCC (Occupant and Cargo Carrying Capacity) labels of some of the sprinter B+/C coaches(yellow tag inside the drivers door on all new motorhomes built in the last decade). The ones I saw showed a range of 720-890 pounds of cargo capacity, by comparison one of the Ford E-350 chassis class C's showed a capacity of 1,396 pounds, and another showed 1,595, both of which were 2-3 feet longer than the sprinter coaches. The underlying factor is that most (all?) sprinter class B+/C coaches are built on the 11,030 GVWR Sprinter chassis, and the Ford Class C's are built on the 12,500 E350 or 14,500 E450 chassis.

Simply put OCCC is the weight of all the stuff, including people you want to carry. Meaning some of these Sprinter coaches would be over weight with 3 250 pound adults onboard and nothing else, no food, clothes, water, bbq grill, bicycle, ....

Old 01-20-2020, 05:25 AM   #3

Isaac-1 is right about the OCCC of the different rigs. But many class C's will be overweight on the rear axle before reaching GVWR. I found that I really had to work at keeping the weight forward in our Itasca Spirit to avoid exceeding the rear GAWR. You really need to do your homework and make sure that any RV you buy will meet your needs and expectations.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:51 AM   #4

One issue with the Sprinter, Mercedes does not allow any extensive frame extensions thus most sprinter based are all about the same length. No such restrictions by Ford so you see some obscene lengths and overhangs out of some plants. The cargo capacity is a real issue with the Ford too because some builders put too heavy a house on too light a chassis. NO standardization.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

A friend drove a Class B Sprinter RV for one summer and was impressed with the mpg, which ranged from 1.6x to 2x a gas class C. The drawback was much less usable space and cargo capacity in the B-van. I don't think a Sprinter-base Class C has that much advantage vs a gas class C, though. Probably more like 1.2x-15x. My friend ended up swapping for a Jayco Melbourne on the Sprinter chassis to get a more comfortable rig but he lamented the substantial drop in the mpg. You can't have your cake & eat it too!

The fuel cost per mile is only one piece of the cost of owning and using a motorhome, so look at the overall picture.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:19 AM   #6

Sprinters have one of the highest service costs out there. Your fuel savings with a diesel will not come close to what maintenance costs will be.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #7

How about throwing a diesel powered 4wd TC into the mix? From my experience with ours, mileage will be somewhat less than the Sprinter, but significantly better than a gasoline powered class C. The TC can also provide all the amenities of a MH at your fingertips after parking, but generally with less space than a MH depending on length. I looked at a friends Sprinter some time ago and decided I would prefer our TC over it.

We had two different diesel powered, manual shift, 4wd TCs from '78 until a few years ago when we got our first MHs. Fuel mileage with the TCs averaged about 15-16 mpg with just the camper at 70 mph and a mile or two less when towing a Samurai or Tracker. Mileage with the 26' 454 powered Flair averaged about 7.5 mpg at 70 mph while towing the Tracker.

After maintaining both the Flair and two TCs, my thought is that the TC is definitely much easier, mostly because of easier accessibility to the truck parts. The camper parts are about the same.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Sprinters have one of the highest service costs out there. Your fuel savings with a diesel will not come close to what maintenance costs will be.
Keep in mind your service interval for a Sprinter is 20,000 miles. Also maintenance is an easy DYI project with the fuel filter right on top along with the oil filter. Only laying down to drain the oil and even that the plug is forward enough where don't have to jack it up.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:39 PM   #9

I have a v-10 class c. Took it on my first long trip of 4600 miles. It drove very well, had lots of power. I averaged 11.3 mpg on my trip from Tennessee to gc, Utah five and the Balloon fiesta. I do not tow anything. I did get on some back winding roads with relatively short steep grades I didn't care for, but I really like the way it handled and climbed. But my rig is small.
frank1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1018 View Post
I have a v-10 class c. Took it on my first long trip of 4600 miles. It drove very well, had lots of power. I averaged 11.3 mpg on my trip from Tennessee to gc, Utah five and the Balloon fiesta. I do not tow anything. I did get on some back winding roads with relatively short steep grades I didn't care for, but I really like the way it handled and climbed. But my rig is small.
Interesting! What year / model do you have?
I could live with 11 .
I want less than 24' and no towing .
AK-AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfoxy View Post
Isaac-1 is right about the OCCC of the different rigs. But many class C's will be overweight on the rear axle before reaching GVWR. I found that I really had to work at keeping the weight forward in our Itasca Spirit to avoid exceeding the rear GAWR. You really need to do your homework and make sure that any RV you buy will meet your needs and expectations.

The funny thing is I have the opposite problem with my 28 ft class A on P32 chassis, I am always trying to move weight to the rear.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:46 AM   #12

My wife wanted a Sprinter, and we went to the Tampa RV show. She agreed they were all too small, and very overpriced. We liked the Phoenix Cruiser 2910D.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Someone suggested a TC ---- What's a TC for us not in the club?

IMHO, the first and most important thing to look at is the floor plan of the house...
Does it meet your needs and is livable/comfortable?

Along the way, we've had a class b+ and a class c... our family quickly outgrew the floor plan - why the saying "Buy your third rv first" exists good luck !
Old 01-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Someone suggested a TC ---- What's a TC for us not in the club?

IMHO, the first and most important thing to look at is the floor plan of the house...
Does it meet your needs and is livable/comfortable?

Along the way, we've had a class b+ and a class c... our family quickly outgrew the floor plan - why the saying "Buy your third rv first" exists good luck !
I am new to RVing but I believe TC=Truck Camper, fits in a pickup bed.

Tags
motorhome, motorhomes