RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Diego
Posts: 62
Thousand Trails availability 60 days out?

I am considering buying a TT membership. I drove by the park near San Diego today and they were rather unhelpful. Membership office closed and rangers really did not know. Here is what I want to know from real world people who use it. 1) Membership allows 60 day out reservations. Is it likely that at 50-60 days out I can regularly get a spot for 14 days? Especially interested in California, but other places would be of interest also. 2) Is there a limit on how many times you can visit the same park in a year? (I understand the 14 day in, week or two out of system policy) Thanks for your help! Gary
__________________
Gary Kowal, San Diego, CA
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 26A
2dr 2010 Jeep Wrangler toad
GaryKowal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
rkf
Member
 
rkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 74
I don’t think that the yearly cost was worth it. You have to pay even when nit using it.
I gave mine up.
rkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 724
Don't waste your money.
Its oversold.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Hoodsport Wa
Posts: 1,018
Some good friends bought a membership many many years ago.
Took them over five years to finally sell it...
They called it Thousand Regrets.
Do your homework and read the fine print.
__________________
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:22 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 743
It all depends on where you're going to be. If you are where they are it can be a good deal. If you're in the midwest it's probably not worth it. There's a couple of places that sell secondhand memberships. One of them is considerably better than the others from what I've heard. Here's one I found: https://www.campgroundmembershipoutl...ousand-trails/ but you might want to do more research. IF you can use it it can be a good deal. If you can't it will probably be a waste of money, and some of the higher membership levels get first crack at the parks, anywhere from 120 days out to 90 days out so make sure you know what you're getting. Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
ThomB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 1,038
If you’re serious about a membership you should just look at a camping pass. That has a longer booking window than 60 days. We originally started with a 90 day window and eventually upgraded that to a 180.
__________________
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K **2013 Mini Cooper S Roadster ** 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 at home...
ThomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
If you’re serious about a membership you should just look at a camping pass. That has a longer booking window than 60 days. We originally started with a 90 day window and eventually upgraded that to a 180.
AFAIK the booking "window" for the Camping Pass is 60 days, no other option. Perhaps you're thinking of Elite, etc.?


Roger
__________________
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
I am considering buying a TT membership. I drove by the park near San Diego today and they were rather unhelpful. Membership office closed and rangers really did not know. Here is what I want to know from real world people who use it. 1) Membership allows 60 day out reservations. Is it likely that at 50-60 days out I can regularly get a spot for 14 days? Especially interested in California, but other places would be of interest also. 2) Is there a limit on how many times you can visit the same park in a year? (I understand the 14 day in, week or two out of system policy) Thanks for your help! Gary
FWIW, you do need to speak with a Membership Specialist - there's usually one in residence at each location. The rangers are busy running the park and don't deal with membership questions. (No, I don't work for Thousand Trails, it's just based on my experience.) You can also call their toll-free #.



As for the 60-day booking "window", my experience is that you can almost always get a reservation, except at their most popular locations. Holidays can be a challenge, however. The way to get a reservation is to book it the second your 60 day window opens; don't wait a day or two. We often camp at one of their high-demand locations on the east coast, and have no difficulty getting reservations at 60 days. Having said that, there is one location we have NEVER been able to get a reservation - Lake & Shore in NJ. A huge percentage of the sites there are sold to seasonals, so very few are available to TT members. And the full-time Elite members with their 120- and 180-day booking window eat up the available reservations before we can get to them.


No limit I know of on how many times/year you may stay in any given park. I've stayed in one TT park near me 4 times this year, for example.



I think TT is a huge value, *IF* the locations are reasonably convenient to you, and you put some effort into making reservations the minute your window opens. FWIW, I've got 4 TT locations less than an hour away, and something like 6 more within 3 hours. This year we will use nearly 60 days, paying $3/night for each night over 30. It's a bargain for us.


Roger
__________________
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:59 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
ThomB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Pinellas Park, FL
Posts: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
AFAIK the booking "window" for the Camping Pass is 60 days, no other option. Perhaps you're thinking of Elite, etc.?


Roger
Ahhh, OK, I thought it was 90, my bad.
__________________
Thom and Diane Boles
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K **2013 Mini Cooper S Roadster ** 2010 Triumph Tiger 1050 at home...
ThomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:21 AM   #10
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,945
Get a “pre-owned” membership for about half price that allows for 120, or 180 day reservation window.....especially at high demand locations like California or Florida.

We want to winter in Florida so we got a rare membership used that allows for 210 day reservations in advance.....this gives us a big advantage in that we can reserve spots before 98% of the other people out there!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:28 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Diego
Posts: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
FWIW, you do need to speak with a Membership Specialist - there's usually one in residence at each location. The rangers are busy running the park and don't deal with membership questions. (No, I don't work for Thousand Trails, it's just based on my experience.) You can also call their toll-free #.



As for the 60-day booking "window", my experience is that you can almost always get a reservation, except at their most popular locations. Holidays can be a challenge, however. The way to get a reservation is to book it the second your 60 day window opens; don't wait a day or two. We often camp at one of their high-demand locations on the east coast, and have no difficulty getting reservations at 60 days. Having said that, there is one location we have NEVER been able to get a reservation - Lake & Shore in NJ. A huge percentage of the sites there are sold to seasonals, so very few are available to TT members. And the full-time Elite members with their 120- and 180-day booking window eat up the available reservations before we can get to them.


No limit I know of on how many times/year you may stay in any given park. I've stayed in one TT park near me 4 times this year, for example.



I think TT is a huge value, *IF* the locations are reasonably convenient to you, and you put some effort into making reservations the minute your window opens. FWIW, I've got 4 TT locations less than an hour away, and something like 6 more within 3 hours. This year we will use nearly 60 days, paying $3/night for each night over 30. It's a bargain for us.


Roger
Thank you for that info. Just what i was looking for. I think I may have misspoke when I said a membership. The only thing that I am buying would be a camping pass which has a 60-day at window and is very reasonably priced. You can go back to the same Campground multiple months in a row if you want. Is that correct?
__________________
Gary Kowal, San Diego, CA
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 26A
2dr 2010 Jeep Wrangler toad
GaryKowal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Alan_Hepburn's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: San Jose, Ca, USA
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
You can go back to the same Campground multiple months in a row if you want. Is that correct?
Correct - we know several people who move back and forth between 2 parks year-long. The only caveat is that with a Zone Pass you are limited in the total number of nights of use - after you hit your maximum you will pay a nightly fee. I'm not sure what that fee is, though.
__________________
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JKU) Sport
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 03:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Fiesta48's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,789
At almost a grand we didn't do it this year. Covid is messing us up. We do 2-4 winter month stays, you dont need TT Encore. We did a FL trip saved thousands 2 years ago using TT. But we spent 80+ man hours try to find spaces available for 2 weeks in Encore parks then for the off week between in non Encore parks. What a hassle.
Too many rules. Not enough spaces available for the 60 day reservations. We are just going to do extended stays from now on.
__________________
Full Timers.
2015 Fleetwood Discovery 40E on a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Cummins ISL9 pulling 1 and/or 2 motorcycles, '07 Honda Accord OR a 17' Runabout Boat.
Fiesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKowal1 View Post
You can go back to the same Campground multiple months in a row if you want. Is that correct?
To the best of my knowledge that is absolutely correct. One note: You may not have current reservations for multiple holidays. For example, if you're reserved for Memorial Day, you will not be allowed to make a July 4 reservation at any TT park until your Memorial Day reservation is over. In order to deal with that we usually book a reservation for right *after* July 4. That way we can make our Labor Day reservation the minute our 60-day window opens.



Good luck, and good camping!


Roger
__________________
TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thousand Trails - Trails Collection SeeTheUSA Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 9 01-19-2020 06:10 PM
Thousand Trail Campground Availability? dnhxx Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 5 02-24-2019 06:44 PM
Lazy days and Thousand Trails TLGPE iRV2.com General Discussion 3 10-27-2018 09:27 PM
Latest Thousand Trails info.. We went to a meeting 4 days ago. fixit1957 Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 29 05-05-2017 12:40 PM
one thousand one, one thousand two...... jodann Just Conversation 9 05-31-2005 06:17 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.