Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 07:25 PM   #1

Throwing money away

I am looking at a 12 to 13 year old motorhome to get started in the RV experience. An then further down the road buying a newer RV if we enjoy it. So am I throwing money away taking this step? This 12 year old unit then will be 16 to 17 years old? I don't think renting would work out for the use I see us using it
fountain42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

You're on the right track... buy the 10 to 12 y/o unit to see if you like it. You'd really take a bath if you ran out and bought a brand new or newer unit and tried to sell it if you didn't enjoy it.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think my answer to your question is, NO. I don't believe at all it would be throwing money away so long as you go in to it with the attitude you already seem to have. Just understand that a 12 year old coach with 12 year old technology is going to deliver a different experience than a newer rig will.

We went the other way, in large part because I'm 6'6" tall and many older units had low ceilings. I knew that I would "hate RVing" if I bumped my head every time I walked through my own coach so we bought new in 2007 and have actually been very happy with our decision but it's pretty risky because it's a lot of money.

Spending a little money in the short term to get your sea legs is not a bad plan at all.

Best of luck to you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
as long as you do not get a money pit I think it is a good idea. be patient and look for one from a private owner who has taken care of it. if you do not smoke do not buy one from a smoker. same with pets. there are many nice older rv''s out there, you just have to look, and make sure everything works and it has never leaked. there are a lot of things that can go wrong after 10 years, but not always. good luck!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #5

Get one you like and can enjoy. Don't worry about the money, we all loose with these babies but as long as you can afford the loss go for it. Life is to short, remember, you are older today than you have ever been so live a little and be safe.
wingman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 PM   #6

Be reminded of the fact that financing on a coach of that age is nearly impossible to get - which really limits the number of potential purchasers - which means you aren't going to get anything for your origianl purchase when it's time to trade up.

I would say your plan is going to be an expensive one, the cost of which is going to be difficult to estimate ahead of time?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
The second coach you buy is a lot closer to what you want than the first one. I think it's a good way to ease into a rather big investment.

Dick
Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf
as long as you do not get a money pit I think it is a good idea. be patient and look for one from a private owner who has taken care of it. if you do not smoke do not buy one from a smoker. same with pets. there are many nice older rv''s out there, you just have to look, and make sure everything works and it has never leaked. there are a lot of things that can go wrong after 10 years, but not always. good luck!
I have to agree with this. We bought an older Holiday Rambler knowing it was to be a project . While we sold it for more than we paid for it after the rehab, we didn't recoup all that we in vested in the rehab. And don't even think about the hundreds of hours in labor time. It seems to be a buyers market right now so take your time and find that coach that has been cared for and stored properly. Enjoy the search and keep us posted.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
Get one you like and can enjoy. Don't worry about the money, we all loose with these babies but as long as you can afford the loss go for it. Life is to short, remember, you are older today than you have ever been so live a little and be safe.
You'll likely lose on a used rig, but you won't lose nearly as much as buying a new or nearly-new one and selling it after a year or two.
I've been buying 9-13 year old rigs, my last 2 anyway... I call it "mostly depreciated". I don't know what a new one would offer me - maybe more power, an extra transmission gear... At least in the same quality range as what I have now.

If you're really "unsure" - then rent... Rent for a weekend or two.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
I am looking at a 12 to 13 year old motorhome to get started in the RV experience. An then further down the road buying a newer RV if we enjoy it. So am I throwing money away taking this step? This 12 year old unit then will be 16 to 17 years old? I don't think renting would work out for the use I see us using it
I wouldnt limit my searches to just that age. Look at newer ones too. You never know what you can find.

I knew very little about them when I first started shopping. Thought a "C" would be less hassle to own but thats not always the case. From seeing a whole lot of ill maintained rigs I can tell you this:

-Look for something thats been stored inside.
-Look for one that is being sold by the original owner
-Dont sign or agree to anything until you have a qualified person inspect the coach.
-Dont buy anything older than 20yrs
-Dont fall for the extended warranty gimmick
-Dont finance the coach for more than 5yrs.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Short answer, we did it. 12 years old diesel pusher, one owner looked well maintained, and car fax it! We did, had a couple of surprises, but still VERY happy!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
I think your headed in the right direction buying a used rig.... go out and have some fun.......
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to M zoll
I believe you got some good info here, we have had a few RV's and I still buy used one.
what ever you get, go and have fun
M zoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 PM   #14

Buying used is a great idea for a first MH but be SURE to have a qualified tech inspect it first so you know what you are getting into. My first MH cost me 12k to buy and another 10k to get road ready even though it looked new. I was a newbie and didn't know what to look for. Got an expensive lesson. Good luck!