Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2022, 05:24 PM   #43

Which state park in se michigan?
Ausable is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2022, 02:51 PM   #44

Alpine Owners Club
Ticks

For children Avon use to have a safe spray. I used it on mine. Having dealt with Lyme for years. Check each other out. Look all crevices they can be anywhere. Adults spraying clothes the night before. Letting them dry. Works great. Don’t have to be tall grass. Can be-anywhere. Crawl up a chair. They aren’t picky. Www.nclyme.net may have some information on there. Happy Camping.
Dan Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #45

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We live on 3 wooded acres and spend several weeks camping in WI state parks each year so we're in the tick belt. Our dog takes Nexguard tablets monthly. DW found this tick removal tool called Tick Tornado which works quite well to remove ticks. Link:

https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Tornado-.../dp/B07GHDZB17
Wiscampsin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #46

We have chiggers, ticks mosquitoes in Arkansas the only thing that has worked for us is permethrin spray on our clothes and Picaridin for your skjn. AMAZON
Spray on your clothes, the dogs bedding and let it dry before you let them onto it.
Permethrin lasts through many laundering!!
Don't waste your time on DEET or other insect repellents.
Les7one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:19 PM   #47

Up here on IL/WI border...can't remember seeing a tick up here in 20+ years and we do a LOT of yard work. Found 2 already this year. One on the kitchen counter...and the other just staring to dig in on my arm/shoulder the other day.

We have never seen high winds winds like this year up here EVERY day ever...evergreens shaking looks like a tornado is coming...bird eggs on the ground, etc. Betting these little buggers are getting shaken from foliage and blowing them all over the place.
moneyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:28 PM   #48

I do a lot of hiking with my dog. We give the dog a monthly product called "Next Guard" If a tick bits her, it kills the tick, protects the dog from ticks and other pests. I would consult your vet on their recommendation for the dog. As for people, repellent with Deet is about the best you can do and if your a hiker, buy a lint roller and go over yourself when done hiking. Its also good to show soon after to root out any hitch hikers.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:45 PM   #49

Since there was some talk about treating clothing with Permethrin . . . .

Permethrin Treated Clothing

Be sure the stuff you use is designed for that application. Don't just go to the store and pick up a bottle of Permethrin based insecticide and assume that's what you spray on your clothes. I know it's a pain in the rear to read all that itty bitty print, but read the label before buying.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:52 PM   #50

My daughter and myself both have bartenella from ticks. I hate those things. They serve no purpose on this earth.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:53 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Ticks and critters

The permethrin product can be sprayed on the grass in your campground to kill ticks, fleas, chiggers, et. As as already stated is good on your clothes.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:21 PM   #52

Smile

i keep a small jar with Alcohol in it,, get tick off me drop in Alcohol.never smash with finger nails. just drop them in .they will die in minutes.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
The permethrin product can be sprayed on the grass in your campground to kill ticks, fleas, chiggers, et. As as already stated is good on your clothes.
No, you don't spray it in the campground!!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:36 PM   #54

Fleas and ticks are seasonal but very often, they come from the previous campers. I would make sure the park knows and can treat the sites(s) after your gone. Permethrin is pretty safe and the Deet spray is effective. The flea and tick preventatives for dogs are getting better and safer.

Phil and Charon
Bigtoado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:51 PM   #55

I bought Permethrin treated clothing - long sleeve shirt and pants...
tick repellant clothing

And had no issues with ticks... or so I thought.

One day we were sitting around when a friend found a tick on him. We placed the tick on my permethrin treated pants - and watched the little bugger walk around vertically / horizontally - into and out of folded over sections - seemingly unaffected - for over 1/2 an hour before we put it out of our misery...

So I am now not so sure about the permethrin treated clothing. Maybe it is like hanging garlic over a doorway to ward off werewolves?
careh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 04:56 PM   #56

Back when I was a kid living in SW NC, ticks would sometimes fall out of the big oak trees at the edge of the bank where we would sit in the evening. Also got ticks when we would pick wild blackberries. We just got in the habit of checking our heads several times a day during a few weeks in the summer. We put a glob of petroleum jelly or heavy lotion on the ticks. Seemed to make them turn loose. For ticks in hair, I used a product called Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Dressing (it was, and still is, my go-to hair conditioner). I would put a blob of that in my hair on the tick and it would turn loose. I think the heavy creams and petroleum jelly would suffocate the ticks. I've had friends who used Vick's vapo-rub or Crisco to do the same thing. I've never used tweezers to pull an attached tick off.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping