Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #1

Tight parking Class A or 5th Wheel?

I have an alley with a 90 degree turn to access where I keep my 30 ft. class A.
It's very tight, maybe could fit a 31 ft class A but that's max.

Question: Does anyone who's had a 5th Wheel and Class A know how they compare in maneuverability? Could I go longer than 30ft on a 5th wheel? I don't wanna get home with a 35ft 5th wheel and not be able to get it in. haha

Thanks!
Ulspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #2

Doubtful.....

Pivot point is over the trucks rear axle and the swing on front of truck would be the issue

Backend of 5vr can be swung tight but that truck front swing is what gets you
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Doubtful.....

Pivot point is over the trucks rear axle and the swing on front of truck would be the issue

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Doubtful.....

Been there done that with both RV's. He is exactly right.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:25 AM   #5

A 30' class A is say 30'. A 30' 5w might be 30' plus about 20' for the truck.

We live in a subdivision of 1 ac. lots and kept our TT then 5W and now keep our MH in the back yard. The 5W wasn't hard to get in the driveway from the street but it took several steps to get it in.
The MH is simple, unhook the toad, pull up to a particular spot hard right and cross the street, hard left and back in the driveway. Took about 5 minutes to back the 5W in, takes a minute to back in the MH.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #6

I can back my 34' motorhome into places that I could never back a 5'r into. When we owned our S&B, I had to park on a pad beside our house such that the passenger side was about 5" from the roof overhang, while the drivers side tires were right on the edge of the concrete pad with a drop off. It was not a straight back up either, had to turn out from the driveway and in again to parallel the house. With our 20' boat trailer, I could get close, but had to push by hand for the last 10 feet.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:50 AM   #7

My drive is at 90 deg angle to road but also on a bend. I can get my 38ft pusher in easily, I would not like to have to do it with a fiver or TT.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:00 AM   #8

After 4 , 5th wheels, two short box TVs , the last being 42' truck & trailer length .

I'll say I can get my 38' coach into spots , I'd wouldn't even have tried with the trailers .
Old 05-15-2021, 06:25 AM   #9
IC2

Can't do it with a 5er in the same real estate area as a MH. The longer that 5er tow vehicle is, the harder it is to maneuver in tight places. Our last 5er and truck combo was about 45 feet, this one is 56 feet and I can't get into campsites that the shorter one had no problem. Then my driveway ....a study in frustration now
Old 05-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Seems to me it depends on the surroundings as well as the 90 degree turn. A 5W maneuvers differently than a coach (others have already explained that), so in some situations a 5W would work where a coach would not, and vice versa. Plenty of open space before the tight turn helps both types, but narrow approaches or obstructions at the mouth of the turn-in affects each differently.

I've owned a couple of each type, and TT's too. I think the TT is actually the easiest to maneuver while backing, but I still prefer the motorhome overall. At least those with a 55+ degree wheel cut.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 02:41 PM   #11

Backing a 5th wheel VS backing a class A

As a trucker for a good many years, I have backed lots of different length trailers into many places which were (often) tight indeed to get into.. Not sure how wide your alley (you mention) is, but it is always nice if there happens to be a driveway straight across which could be used to pull into, and "set yourself up" to back in.. If there is no such option available for you there, then the width and layout of your alley would be my first question.. Some places might have a sign or fire hydrant or an extremely sharp edged "curb' which might be bad news for your tires if you hit it "wrong" As some one pointed out earlier, the front end "swing" of your towing vehicle needs adequate clearance in order to maneuver the trailer wheels into the needed "arc" to get in.. I don't know the width of the gate you are backing into, but the wider it is, the better off you would be.. Is there any possibility the gate itself could be expanded (width wise) ? That should make it much easier in many cases.. About class A RVs in particular : many of them have the rear axles located quite a ways from the rear bumper, resulting in a significant amount of "swing" whether cornering or backing (ever see anyone hit something because of the back end sideways swing ? ) The tail of my 37 footer does swing dead sideways when I turn sharply.. I see many of the diesel pushers with less "setback" of rear axle to bumper distance, thus they do not swing as much.. So backing a Class A vs 5th wheel, it really depends on variable factors but (overall) i find it easier to back a 5th wheel setup in.. that might be debatable depending on the driver's skill level and experience of course - I see some RV drivers who very awkward at backing whatever they do have, but "pull through" campsites will probably not go out of style any time soon (LOL) Hope these tips are helpful, Good Luck to you..
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, class a, parking