Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2021, 12:16 PM   #1

Time for a roof re-coat.

Hey all! Last week after two days of wind up to and sometimes over 60 mph I noticed in our yard and neighbors, sheets (some as big as a half sheet of typing paper) of white film that looked similar to dried paint but more "rubbery". I got up on the camper roof today and as I suspected the roof coating is coming off. I know this has to be a subject beat to death in this forum but for the life of me I can't locate much using the search tool. So, question is: What have you experienced hands used to re-coat your EPDM roof. I've you-tubed it and watched the Dicor videos. There is also one of a liquid rubber product that you mix in a purple catalyst simply called "EPDM Coatings" and lists a phone number to call. Not finding much online so, before I call and potentially expose myself to endless marketing phone calls does anyone have any experience with these guys? It looks like some pretty good stuff and ya don't have to mask off the entire camper as with the Dicor. Any info would really be appreciated!
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2021, 02:54 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sounds like the coating you reference is for large building roofs. EPDM is a common coating on some flat roof buildings.

I would stay away from any coatings not designed and approved for RV's.
egwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #3

Several U-tube videos of people using "EPDM Coatings" product on RV roofs. My quandary centers around #1 not having seen it before and #2 not finding much online info with reviews. I'll continue to search but ultimately I trust the folks on this forum. There is a huge amount of wisdom here! Thanks all!
Old 04-06-2021, 06:25 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Even if you don't use their product I would visit Dicor's website and look for videos showing how to prepare the roof. You will need to remove any remaining coating before going further or it will come off along with your new coating when you are not ready for it. The new stuff will not make the old stuff stay down for long in my experience.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

A man who makes a living putting on RV roof coatings once told me that the most important step in putting on any RV roof material is the preparation before you put on the new one, no matter what type of roof you choose.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
Hey all! Last week after two days of wind up to and sometimes over 60 mph I noticed in our yard and neighbors, sheets (some as big as a half sheet of typing paper) of white film that looked similar to dried paint but more "rubbery". I got up on the camper roof today and as I suspected the roof coating is coming off. I know this has to be a subject beat to death in this forum but for the life of me I can't locate much using the search tool. So, question is: What have you experienced hands used to re-coat your EPDM roof. I've you-tubed it and watched the Dicor videos. There is also one of a liquid rubber product that you mix in a purple catalyst simply called "EPDM Coatings" and lists a phone number to call. Not finding much online so, before I call and potentially expose myself to endless marketing phone calls does anyone have any experience with these guys? It looks like some pretty good stuff and ya don't have to mask off the entire camper as with the Dicor. Any info would really be appreciated!
I would do some research and maybe call tech support at Henry's to see if their products will do the trick. I applied 2 coats of Henry's tropi-cool to my motorhome and will no longer have to repeat. Done for life......
Old 04-06-2021, 06:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP Kirk View Post
A man who makes a living putting on RV roof coatings once told me that the most important step in putting on any RV roof material is the preparation before you put on the new one, no matter what type of roof you choose.
This is a very true statement. There are a lot of great coatings on the market today that will work and last for many years, but the key to this is the prep work involved. You need to clean it well, they have cleaning products that are made for cleaning EPDM specifically.

I would clean and re-seal all the penetrations first before you apply the coating so when you have to clean and seal them again, you are bonding to the original material instead of the coating. As long as your roof material is still in good shape and prep work is good, your choice of coating will work.
Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #8

Thanks all for the great replies! When you're talkin' prep you're preachin' to the choir. When I painted my sisters house it took me almost three weeks of prep (new facia, soffit, window frame repair, stucco repair, caulking, all of that) but actually shooting, back roll and clean up was two days. I'm just like that.) So, I'm six years older now and some of the indignities of aging are getting worse such as gout and osteo. I've watched several, more like many, videos on Dicor and the EPDM Coatings. My reluctance regarding the Dicor product is that prep and coat need to be done the same day because the prep solution(after power wash, scrub and rinse) is suppose to "open the pores" of my EPDM roof. About three hours on my feet anymore and I'm about whupped. Oh, and I don't delegate well according to about everybody that knows me! I was hoping when I posted this to hear from some of y'all that have personal experience with either of these products. I trust my fellow forum members above any u-tube or testimonial video on a product website! Y'all have a safe and wonderful summer and don't forget!!! Take a kid camping!!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:00 AM   #9

Ok, I've looked extensively at several products for re-coating my camper's EPDM roof and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on RV Roof Magic. 5 gallons plus shipping will be $506. Sure would appreciate any info from any of y'all that have used this product. I value the opinions of members of this forum as they likely represent hundreds of years of experience. Many thanks and have a wonderful season!
Old 04-12-2021, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
What have you experienced hands used to re-coat your EPDM roof. I've you-tubed it and watched the Dicor videos. .... Any info would really be appreciated!
Any coating that you use to prolong the life of your roof needs to be matched to the actual roofing you have. EDPM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer),is one type of rubber roof. TPO (Thermal Poly Olefin) is another. If the roofing membrane is black with a "colored surface" then it is EPDM. If there is a felt backing that obscures the base membrane, it's TPO, If the roofing membrane is a solid color (same color on top and bottom) then it is a TPO roofing product. There are some RVs that use a fiberglass roofing material as well. You should try and match the coating material that is recommended for your type of roof.

As others have said, preparation is key to any recoating job. Take your time and you should be fine.
Senseichaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #11

For 7600.00 dollars I put a lifetime warranty roof on from rv flex armor in Green Cove Springs FL. Transferable just by the VIN.
No more leaking or resealing.
There was no visible indicator of water intrusion until I had water in the laundry basket.
Only thing I have to do is every couple of years give the ac bolts a little turn. Click image for larger version

Name:	1261358993.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	324721Click image for larger version

Name:	1436238555.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	324722
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 03:09 PM   #12

Well, OK. No opinions regarding this product or is it considered bad form to comment on personal experiences with products in this forum? I am rather na´ve when it comes to forums.
Old 04-15-2021, 04:56 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Not at all "bad form". Probably just that nobody here has used it yet. My impression is that Roof Magic is a fairly new butyl rubber coating. EPDM Coatings seems to be pushing that now. If you had asked about long-established products like Liquid Rubber or Henry's Tropikool, you would probably get comments.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #14

Many thanks Gary!, I will be ordering the Roof Magic and let y'all know what happens!

Tags
roof