RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2021, 02:02 PM   #1

Time stretching machine - why I bought my RV

I lead an engineering group where we do about 200 large projects a year
Everyday is extremely busy dealing with every imaginable problem
I found that time passed for me in months and years ... days weren't even a blip
It would be January and then it was July and then it was the next year.
Most years I couldn't wait until they were over ....
Getting close to retirement I realized that my life was whizzing by
My wife is a workaholic too and I told her that her dying thought in this life will be I'm glad I got that hall closet organized before I die, now I can die in peace. I thought long about how life was whizzing by and decided I needed to slow it down somehow

I thought of the wheel inside your electric meter on the side of your house turning relentlessly that is counting your kilowatts
I realized that the second hand on my watch ticking off was like that electric meter, that every tick of the second hand was one more second I no longer had
My watch is like a life-o-meter, counting down my time in this life

So I wanted to find something that slowed the passing of life way down
Time seems to pass far slower when your fishing, barbequing while camping, hiking or exploring
So I decided to get an RV to see if it was a time machine that could slow down the passing of time.

I'm on my 3rd RV in 3 years, I think I have settle on this one, & have decided that it does indeed slow time down.
I hope to retire this year and spend the next few years traveling seeing the sites, spending time visiting with the kids/grandkids, and whatever strikes my fancy.

Just spending a weekend at a state park ... barbequing, riding the bikes, kayaking, walking .... really slows down the passing of time
So I'm convinced my RV is really a time stretching machine .....
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 02:40 PM   #2
PKI

Work life balance

Interesting concept. Glad your RV has such a positive impact on your lives.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
I found that time passed for me in months and years ... days weren't even a blip
My wife is a workaholic too and I told her that her dying thought in this life will be I'm glad I got that hall closet organized before I die, now I can die in peace. I thought long about how life was whizzing by and decided I needed to slow it down somehow

I thought of the wheel inside your electric meter on the side of your house turning relentlessly that is counting your kilowatts
I realized that the second hand on my watch ticking off was like that electric meter, that every tick of the second hand was one more second I no longer had

Time seems to pass far slower when your fishing, barbequing while camping, hiking or exploring
So I decided to get an RV to see if it was a time machine that could slow down the passing of time.

I'm on my 3rd RV in 3 years, I think I have settle on this one, & have decided that it does indeed slow time down.
I hope to retire this year and spend the next few years traveling seeing the sites, spending time visiting with the kids/grandkids, and whatever strikes my fancy.

Just spending a weekend at a state park ... barbequing, riding the bikes, kayaking, walking .... really slows down the passing of time
Well said ! And i hope you have many more years to "stretch " out .
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #4

Agree fully. Especially half way through a long hilly day hike on a warm day. As I get older (79 now) time passes ever more slowly as the hike drags on.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:

Been using a Time Machine for 50 + years -

Will have to admit that it did often take some work to get in that machine but the Memories have never left.

Funny how it works - this summer with Covid - we were able to do the entire summer in the Rockies - for a good bit with the Grands and Families - before ending in the Fall with my Brother.

Life does slow down when you RV.

note here - even while RV'ing and running the business - still managed to work too many 100 hour weeks, but family always came first.

Thanks for letting me share just a bit,
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:08 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Never thought of it like that, but I think you nailed it! Hope the retirement works out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:53 PM   #7
GFC

We've been in a time machine for the past 10 years, but it is a boat, not an RV. Medical conditions in my wife and I have nudged us to the decision that it was time to sell the boat so last August we cruised it down the Columbia River to Seattle to sell it. 655 miles, 7 days and the best cruise we've ever had. We've enjoyed the boat for the 10 years we've owned it but it seems like yesterday that we bought it.

Now we're waiting for someone who just can't stop himself from buying the boat then we're going to take the proceeds and pick up a DP. We'll still be in our time machines but we'll be cruising on the roads instead of waterway.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Amazing perspective on time... and travel... and how we have more control over what we experience in time vs. just "spending" it with no return. We plan to "slow" time as well, or at least develop more memories and experiences in our new RV... as soon as we get it

Enjoy your new found "time"!!
For Fun: 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
DNies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:17 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They say "Time flies when you're having fun." I believe that to be true.

We retired and started traveling in 2005....seems like yesterday.

So hang on to your hat...it's gonna get crazy fast.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:27 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Absolutely the best overall narrative on why we do this. My hat is to you, thanks for putting it in words.
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #11

My take on the time remaining thing is while I might not be next I'm in line. I tell the wife and people at work if I die in my cubicle drag me out to the parking lot so they can pronounce me outside the office.

I'm so ready to cut the work cord and will punch out in Dec 2021 and never look back. Time to open a new chapter and see where that takes me.
Dennis58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis58 View Post
My take on the time remaining thing is while I might not be next I'm in line. I tell the wife and people at work if I die in my cubicle drag me out to the parking lot so they can pronounce me outside the office.

I'm so ready to cut the work cord and will punch out in Dec 2021 and never look back. Time to open a new chapter and see where that takes me.
Might walk out to that Parking lot 5-6 times a day - once you retire you will need to be in Shape to RV - Lot's to See - Never Enough Time -
Busskipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #13

Quote:
EVERYTHING you said is spot-on...

We are in the exact same and why we decided to pull the trigger on our time machine just last week...
bandi is offline   Reply With Quote