Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2020, 09:33 AM   #15

Yeah! Extension office! They have nothing to gain monetarily from this. And it would be to their benefit in a way. Yeah! Yeah!!!

Thank you GuyG! Greatly appreciated!
max meridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2020, 01:27 PM   #16

Please return and let us know what they are. I've looked at every bug and just can't find any that looks like that with no legs showing.

It might be worthwhile to have a pest control person come to deal with it. Empty the RV as much as possible (careful that you don't carry any bugs inside with you) and let him spray. Since it wasn't used for a while you may have other bugs in there. Might as get them all!

Did you look on the ground around the tire area to see if they're coming from the ground? You may have to park it elsewhere.

ON EDIT: I took one more look and found the Hister Beetle that looks like what you have. Check it out.

https://www.insectidentification.org...=Hister-Beetle

https://www.bugspray.net/hister-beet...e-control.html

Good luck!!
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #17

Kinda hard to tell without a closer, sharp photo in good light, but I does look a lot like a black carpet beetle. See if you can find any of the larva. Google Black Carpet Beetle and see if it matches. I battled them in the bathroom of my home. Mine were Varied Carpet Beetles and I found both adults and larva in various numbers at different times of the year. I used a residual crack and crevice spray - Grants Kills Ants and Spiders by Amdro - Carpet beetles is a listed target pest. Used it with the straw applicator. I sprayed along and under baseboards. It took time but the number started dropping until they were gone. Keep the area clean too, spay along all cracks and along edges, and look for any natural fibers such as jute insulation or padding but they can also feed off grains, flours cereal, hair, etc. It's also possible they are feeding off stuff stashed in unseen places by mice.

Furniture beetles - or Powder Post Beetles are brown and you'll usually find little piles of sawdust where they push it out of the holes in the wood they are boring in. It's gonna take time because you'll need to break the life cycle and if possible, determine what they are feeding on.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:52 PM   #18

Thank you twogypsies and Tom. I am going to give the Extension office a try Monday morning. I bagged up about 20 of these little guys and will take them in to see what they say.

Right now, I can't find anything that even remotely resembles them. You can't see their legs. They are like teeny tiny little itty bitty lady bugs - but all black. They are literally about the size of a pin head. They fly, don't live long and generate huge numbers.

I am figuring they are down under the trailer in the ventilation system. Possibly. It makes sense since I see them in the vents. I don't think it is food related, since I haven't found any in the food.

If the Extension people can't tell me, I may swing by the pest control place and see what they say. But, I'm not holding my breath.

All I can do is exhaust my options - which I am doing.

Thanks again for all the input!
Old 05-03-2020, 09:06 AM   #19

https://www.domyown.com/?keyword=do%...SAAEgIV6fD_BwE
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:09 AM   #20

Another pesticide with residual action and a broad list of target pests is Tempo Ultra. It is available through ACE hardware in small containers. It has virtually no odor and has low toxicity. You need to mix it with water and apply it as a crack and crevice spray. Give the spray bottle a light shake every now and then since it's a suspended solid.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...ements/7407273

Do your best to keep sucking up the little guys as you see them because you want to try to interrupt their life cycle. The less you have breeding, the easier it will be to gain control. It's also going to take some detective work to see if you can determine where they are coming from. That may mean determining WHEN they show up. That will allow you to clean the area and you know when to start looking for them as they appear from a crack. Work backwards from where you see them.

I'll be curious what they are. That will certainly help understand what they may be feeding on or what attracted them. Sometimes what initially started the infestation will be gone - like a food source - and for a long time its a matter of them breeding.

Also be aware that a food source may be something unusual, such as what I mentioned about a rodent stash. Just this spring had Pantry moths that I just couldn't figure out where they were coming from. Not large numbers, but a lone moth or two that appeared to be coming from my kitchen/utility room area. I spent a lot of time with a bright flashlight looking through every cabinet, drawer, behind appliances, boxes of food. I was stumped. Pheromone traps helped, but I was still taunted in the evening by a lone moth fluttering past the TV. Then by a complete fluke, I discovered the source. I was cleaning out my shop in the garage, dumping some old cans of paint into sawdust for disposal. I mentioned to my wife I was running out of sawdust and she said: "I have an old bag of kitty litter in the utility room you could use." As soon as I picked up the bag I knew - it was corn based litter! I looked in the bag and saw webs and grubs. It has been so long since she used that type of litter, I never looked at the bag - she only uses clay litter right?

Carpet Beetles - and other insects, can feed on hair and other organic material, so if you have a pet, their hair can be a food source. Some insects can feed off the debris or nesting material of other pests which may have set-up house in a hidden place in the structure, even after the original pest is gone. HVAC areas are a common pathway for pests because the installation penetrates walls and floors, the ducting itself makes for good travel and there's usually a vent or opening to the outside.

Good luck, you'll eventually figure it out, or if you can't they may disappear on their own when they deplete their hidden food source.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:17 AM   #21

I know this isn't something commonly carried by people but it can be an excellent tool for identifying little pests. Make sure you look at the bugs in bright light and move the light around to different angles. This can reveal subtle colors or markings that can't be seen under one particular lighting angle.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnification.../dp/B00PRL1WNG
Old 05-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by max meridius View Post
And the funny thing is - we are supposed to be so advanced in our evolution as human beings. Then comes along a teeny, tiny little black bug.....
I just noticed this comment and I can't tell you how many times this very thought went through my mind when dealing with itty bitty pests - frequently ants. I'd think to myself I can squish this little thing with my finger, but they can still outsmart me.

I read an amazing book not long ago that talked about the forms of life we live with in our homes. The book was "Never Home Alone" by Rob Dunn. Fascinating and frightening all at the same time. One infamous bug I learned something new about was the German Cockroach. One main reason it has been so difficult to control is the fact it's DNA can change so quickly in response to it's environment. Because of this, it can be exposed to a pesticide that's extremely effective, but within just a couple generations, it's almost completely immune to it. Because they breed so profusely, this can happen in a matter of days. Talk about "....then along comes this - not so teeny tiny bug."
Old 05-03-2020, 03:48 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Going DYI try Ortho Home Deference or Ortho Max.

• Ortho Home Defense Insect Killer for Indoor & Perimeter2 with Comfort Wand kills ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks and other listed bugs; the formula is odor free, won't stain, and keeps listed bugs out
  • KILLS BUGS INSIDE: Kills those annoying home-invading insects, including ants, cockroaches, spiders, fleas, ticks, scorpions, beetles, silverfish, centipedes and millipedes
  • KEEPS BUGS OUTSIDE: Creates a bug barrier that will kill bugs you have and prevents new bugs for up to 12 months (applies to ants, roaches and spiders indoors on non-porous surfaces)
  • NO STAINING OR STINK: This spray can be used indoors and out, leaves no residue, and has no odor; people and pets may re-enter treated areas after spray has dried
  • WAND MAKES APPLICATION EASY: The Comfort Wand eliminates hand fatigue, and there's no pumping required, making it easy to spray along your home's perimeter--indoors and outside
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:07 AM   #24

Gary, Tom and Ed - Thank you for your insight and ideas regarding this issue that I have. All of your recommendations and ideas are greatly appreciated!

Tom - I will definitely check out that book. I know that I have heard about German cockroaches from time to time, but this peaks my interest! If we only knew just how behind the literal curve we really are as human beings - I don't think the majority of us could handle that level of truth to be quite honest!

Again, thanks to all for their insights into this problem. When I have more definite information regarding this situation I will gladly post it here so that others may benefit from it!

Again, thank you all!
Old 05-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #25

Good luck getting rid of your bugs. That book sounds like the perfect gift for some OCD clean freaks I know.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:34 PM   #26

Re: The book I mentioned. Warning! After reading it you'll never look at your shower head the same way again. Another aspect in the book that seems more poignant in light of the current pandemic, is his theories about our trend to over sanitize our living surfaces. Although it doesn't apply to viruses as much as it does bacteria, it is something to think about.

Looking forward to learning what your bugs are.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with looking for a food source. I don't think furniture beetles will nest in particle board or "engineered wood," which is likely to be prevalent in your RV. When we had an infestation of tiny flies in our house we tracked it down, finally, to a rotten persimmon The Executive Department had brought in from a bush in the yard and forgotten about. Pasta or flour beetles seems a good possibility.

Before I called a pest contractor I'd remove all food not sealed in airtight containers and fog the RV -- and be sure to wash every single item that food will touch afterwards, including counters, shelves, flatwear, dishwear, and as you use them, the packaging (cans, etc.) of the provisions as you use them -- and etc.
Urban Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by max meridius View Post
I sure do hope this is the right forum to post this in, but I didn't see anything more specific. So, if I have posted incorrectly, please move it to where it needs to be.

I have searched Google about this issue and what I am finding on the RV Forums is totally useless. No one posts pictures of the bugs they are talking about.

I felt that in order for me to be specific about the issue that I am having, one needs to see what it is that I am actually talking about.

These bugs manifested about a year ago in the RV. I have a 27' 5th wheel. I bought it used and have traveled across the country twice in it and up to Alaska and back. It has seen road time in the last 12 months.

What started out as a small problem, has become quite significant here as of late. These bugs fly. They do not bite. They also don't have a long life span. They seem to congregate primarily in the floor cabinet in the kitchen. I have also found a fair portion of them in the ducting under the fridge. They also like to take up residence in the floor vents. I do find some on the floor near the vent in the bathroom. But they ARE NOT coming up out of the toilet.

They are not sewer bugs, they are not spider mites. WHAT ARE THEY? Someone must know, I cannot be the only person out here with this problem.

I did the best that I could with the pictures. I can only get in so close and maintain some kind of clarity. But I did what I could to help understand and HOPEFULLY identify these varmints and get instruction on how to deal with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated at this point!

Attachment 283790

Attachment 283791

Attachment 283792
If your in the western forests they could be bark beetles that infest dry forests. I am in Az. and have had so many in my vehicle air cleaners my mpg went down.
Marine Les is offline   Reply With Quote