Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2020, 05:30 PM   #1

Tiny Black Bugs in RV

I sure do hope this is the right forum to post this in, but I didn't see anything more specific. So, if I have posted incorrectly, please move it to where it needs to be.

I have searched Google about this issue and what I am finding on the RV Forums is totally useless. No one posts pictures of the bugs they are talking about.

I felt that in order for me to be specific about the issue that I am having, one needs to see what it is that I am actually talking about.

These bugs manifested about a year ago in the RV. I have a 27' 5th wheel. I bought it used and have traveled across the country twice in it and up to Alaska and back. It has seen road time in the last 12 months.

What started out as a small problem, has become quite significant here as of late. These bugs fly. They do not bite. They also don't have a long life span. They seem to congregate primarily in the floor cabinet in the kitchen. I have also found a fair portion of them in the ducting under the fridge. They also like to take up residence in the floor vents. I do find some on the floor near the vent in the bathroom. But they ARE NOT coming up out of the toilet.

They are not sewer bugs, they are not spider mites. WHAT ARE THEY? Someone must know, I cannot be the only person out here with this problem.

I did the best that I could with the pictures. I can only get in so close and maintain some kind of clarity. But I did what I could to help understand and HOPEFULLY identify these varmints and get instruction on how to deal with them.

Any help is greatly appreciated at this point!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bugs 1.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	283790

Name:	Bugs 2.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	283791

Name:	Bugs 3.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	283792
max meridius is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

Just searching the web, I found "black carpet beetles"?
https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/carpet-beetles
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

They may be furniture beetles. The larvae feed on wood. The adults die off quickly.
They may be living in the wood flooring of your trailer.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #4

That makes sense. Will check out the furniture beetles.

Checked the carpet beetles and furniture beetles and the carpet beetles don't quite look like what I have and the furniture beetle sort of does. But not exactly. Not sure if these are applicable.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:25 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Call your local pest control company have them come give you a quote to treat. They will also tell you what they are.
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:44 PM   #6

I believe they are Pasta Weevils found in my Macaroni tons of them . They get into pancake mix and other dry goods . Check you tube on how to get rid of them !!
I threw out all my dry goods and sprayed roach poison and they are finally going away !! Still spraying after a week !! Good Luck !
toshayar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #7

Checked the web on the pasta weevils and according to the pictures, not even close. You can't see the legs on the ones that I have and they are more rounded like a ball. Pasta Weevils are longer and have 6 or 8 legs.

Will have to call pest control I suppose.
Old 05-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Call your local pest control company have them come give you a quote to treat. They will also tell you what they are.
Best advice! When in doubt call a professional.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:33 PM   #9

KZ RV Club
Call the local extension office and take them a sample. I say call because of the lock down. I took in a large beetle years ago, turned out it was from South America and likely came in on a plant. (I was just out side a nursery when I found it)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #10

If this was my trailer I would call a pest control co. as suggested first.

If one can't come out because of the virus thing then I would totally empty out the trailer and vacuum everything then clean with proper cleaners.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
If this was my trailer I would call a pest control co. as suggested first.

If one can't come out because of the virus thing then I would totally empty out the trailer and vacuum everything then clean with proper cleaners.
This would be my suggestion as well. As a temporary measure if a professional pest control technician wasn’t able to come out fairly quickly, I’d be tempted to use a commercially available fogger to try and control the infestation. I doubt it would eradicate them but it might help until professional help arrives. I’d most certainly empty and “bomb” the storage compartments as well.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:24 AM   #12

Yeah, I guess that is the only real option left is to seek out a pro. I thought I would try this first since there are so many RV'ers out there, that someone would most likely have experienced this.

I bought this trailer 2nd hand, and at the time there were no signs of these bugs, it sat in storage for almost a year before I took it out on the road. No signs of these bugs. Then somewhere along the way, there they were. I don't know where exactly. I have cleaned the trailer repeatedly, just short of dismantling it and rebuilding the trailer from the frame up.

It isn't virus related, but with the way things are today, EVERYTHING is virus related somehow, someway.

My only issue with going to a pest control company is that I run the risk of them wanting to make a quick buck, especially in this day and time. Can I trust them to tell me the truth? There is always the chance that they won't. Especially being in a small town where businesses are closing up left and right.

I may never find out for sure.

And the funny thing is - we are supposed to be so advanced in our evolution as human beings. Then comes along a teeny, tiny little black bug.....
Old 05-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by max meridius View Post
Yeah, I guess that is the only real option left is to seek out a pro. I thought I would try this first since there are so many RV'ers out there, that someone would most likely have experienced this.

I bought this trailer 2nd hand, and at the time there were no signs of these bugs, it sat in storage for almost a year before I took it out on the road. No signs of these bugs. Then somewhere along the way, there they were. I don't know where exactly. I have cleaned the trailer repeatedly, just short of dismantling it and rebuilding the trailer from the frame up.

It isn't virus related, but with the way things are today, EVERYTHING is virus related somehow, someway.

My only issue with going to a pest control company is that I run the risk of them wanting to make a quick buck, especially in this day and time. Can I trust them to tell me the truth? There is always the chance that they won't. Especially being in a small town where businesses are closing up left and right.

I may never find out for sure.

And the funny thing is - we are supposed to be so advanced in our evolution as human beings. Then comes along a teeny, tiny little black bug.....

The survivors of Armageddon will be the cockroaches.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:25 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your local extension office is where I would start. I know from experience that they get all kinds of inquiries and, one way or another, are able to answer your questions. And they are free!