Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tiny chip.. repair or let it be?

I found a tiny chip. It is probably smaller than a pin head ... maybe half the size. I only found it washing the windshield and it's hard to find unless you know where to look.
Should I worry about it?

I was trying to decide if I should try a DIY kit or wait to see if it gets larger. I think it'
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #2

Sounds more like sandblasting. Unless the "chip" has cracks emanating from it (that's how the resin gets in and takes hold), it can not be repaired and does not need to be repaired. Tiny surface divots with no cracking pose no threat to continue to grow. I have had an old toad that had hundreds of those.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get it fixed.. In many cities there is an outfit that goes around "Free Windshield chip repair" Drive up and say "HI". (you find them operating out of a van or mini-van in a parking lot somewhere.. They are usually pushing something.. I do not know what)

A DIY kit is ok too. but get it fixed pronto.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 AM   #4

Dab a little clear nail polish on it to thwart spidering.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #5

Walmart has a chip repair for about $10.00,fixed mine where you can't find it.
greezykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have never heard the nail polish remedy---sounds cosmetic, but it may work----to be safe I think just have one of the companies mentioned fill it with resin. Even then there is no real guarantee---but I have a number of cracks and pits on my windshield and have had them all treated and so far no cracking.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Most insurance companies will pay the cost of getting one of the "portable windshield repair guys" to come out and fix it at your home, no cost to you. I have had mine done many times on various vehicles! Good luck!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Free windshield repair does not mean "Free" in the sense of the word.

It means free to you because they will use your insurance company policy to get their money. Now, hopefully the insurance will not go up due to a claim. I have heard that some insurance companies will not pay for chip repair. It used to be that they would, but there are to many "Free" claims. It is costing them big bucks.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #9

If it is just a small chip with no "spider" lines coming from it, seems that you would be ok. If it is a "bullseye" from a rock or something, get it fixed.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
If it is as tiny as a pinhead or smaller, I would either leave it alone or fill it with a DYI kit. Many commercial chip repair outfits will grind a small crater at the site of the chip to ensure the resin will pentrate but will leave that crater unfilled. I will not accept that, especially if it is in the area swept by the wipers since the edge of the crater will cause the wiper to wear. I've used chip repair kits before with success and I did not leave an unfilled crater so I don't understand why the commercial outfits can't or won't fill the crater.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No bullseye/cracks as it is tiny. I'll check into the diy kit at wallyworld, I suppose it can't hurt to try.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminyard View Post
Most insurance companies will pay the cost of getting one of the "portable windshield repair guys" to come out and fix it at your home, no cost to you. I have had mine done many times on various vehicles! Good luck!
That was my experience too.
Avoid the DIY kits, IMO they are money wasted. I used one, exactly per directions. The small chipped place looked good for about a month then began spider-webbing. I took my truck to an auto glass repair shop for a proper repair. It was too late. Only solution, a new windshield. My $500 deductible insurance, paid ~$150 more. The technician said "once you use a DIY kit, we cannot overlay it with our method." I'm on my third windshield in the truck_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Krazy Glue on the Tiny "Pit" works as well as those DIY Kits! Dab some on ,let dry then use a Rasor Blade to remove the lump!
Old 11-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #14

Let it be.....Wait for it to crack badly (or beat on it until it does) and then let your insurance company buy you a new windshield. Why would I have some guy put glue right there in my field of view when my insurance is setup to pay for this kind of damage (in most cases at no cost/low cost to the owner).
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair