Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
shop rate

The general public is totally unaware of the business costs that goes into the shop rate. Coming from the service industry and being a business owner I know something about it. The employees base wages, employer's share of social security, workman's compensation ( no small number by the way), disability insurance, liability insurance, building rent or mortgage, taxes, utilities, business license, unbillable expenses such as bookkeeping, building and equipment maintenance, employee's vacation and sick time, mechanical breakdown time and cost, cost of equipment....should I go on????? Even with the markup on parts and etc., I'm sure it is difficult to stay above water for any other service business.....so please think again when you complain about the "shop" rate. Tip the tech for great service!!!!
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That's what I'm talking about
Such an uninformed comment. But I'll help: not all charge book hours. The techs only do the work. The service manager bills you. You also chose to take it in for work you can't/won't do. Not all techs, and most, don't get commission on parts sold/used..
I have experience in dealerships, so I am not that ill informed.
I have had very good experiences with getting repairs, the few times
I have needed them, but am quite aware mechanics are not making minimum wage or less like food servers do.

They are getting a pretty good chunk of that 75-100 bucks an hour labor charge, and make a pretty good living.
If not, they need to move to another shop that pays better wages.
IamJerryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJerryP View Post
I have needed them, but am quite aware mechanics are not making minimum wage or less like food servers do.

They are getting a pretty good chunk of that 75-100 bucks an hour labor charge, and make a pretty good living.

Exactly, especially on the west coast where union wages and such drive up the cost of everything. For instance I just had a local truck & bus repair whom happens to do MH chassis work install four new Bilsteins on the MH. His labor rate is $80 hr. he charged me $867.00 otd and did it in two days. The local RV repair wanted $1700 for the same shocks and wanted it for two weeks, who got my business? I will not support gougers, their rate was $120 hr.

And while I didn't tip the repair shop or tech I did go back and thank him for a nice job he did and tell him how happy I was. I will refer others and told him that and he was happy. A happy customer with referrals is more valuable than a tip, tips are old school methodology that's time has been way over.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM   #32

I normally do. And I make it quite clear to the service writer that he knows which line mechanics have the lowest re-do rates. To me it is worth an extra $20 to not have to bring something back. I also tell the tech as I give him the extra that if he takes care of me, I will take care of him and request he does all future work. Most of the time it is worth every dime extra. Have you ever calculated the cost to bring something back for a re-do of what wasn't done properly? JMHO
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #33
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
[QUOTE=jesilvas;2151319]That's what I'm talking about

They seem to enjoy it and I, of course, have a sample to check for freshness.
Attached Images

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #34

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you found such a great savings it still would have been great for you to give him a tip plus the references.......both would mean a lot to a working man!
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planocat View Post
Have you ever calculated the cost to bring something back for a re-do of what wasn't done properly? JMHO
Hopefully warranty free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzman View Post
His labor rate is $80 hr. he charged me $867.00 otd and did it in two days. The local RV repair wanted $1700 for the same shocks and wanted it for two weeks, who got my business? I will not support gougers, their rate was $120 hr.

And while I didn't tip the repair shop or tech I did go back and thank him for a nice job he did and tell him how happy I was. I will refer others and told him that and he was happy. A happy customer with referrals is more valuable than a tip, tips are old school methodology that's time has been way over.
I don't see it as gouging, as see it as business. Yes, a mechanic with mechanic's rate can do certain things on MHs for a certain price. The RV business can do many things the mechanic can't, and they don't change labor rate per type of work or job performed. It's setting rules, and sticking to them.

And I definitely agree that having a referral is much better for business than tips.

Quote:

We have a $95/hr rate, and I make what I do. As I stated, we are a small business, and I am more than happy staying with them. I know the in's and out's of our net and gross profits for YTD and previous years. I'm making the correct amount for the size of our business.
We are not a large company that, like other's to not be named, file TONS of false warranty claims to make more money, or have absurd mark ups on the trailers we sell.
It's not all about the wages, and I'm definitely not complaining.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #36

Quote:
.. am quite aware mechanics are not making minimum wage or less like food servers do.

They are getting a pretty good chunk of that 75-100 bucks an hour labor charge, and make a pretty good living. If not, they need to move to another shop that pays better wages.
Ha! Sadly, even master certified RV techs at 99% of dealerships make less than 35k a year. It's amazing to me that the industry as a whole does not pay better especially considering the responsibility RV techs bear with so many complex systems involved.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=JC2;2151416]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
That's what I'm talking about

They seem to enjoy it and I, of course, have a sample to check for
freshness.

BINGO!

Appreciated by the mechanic, and the customer,

Tags
service