Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #15

it always worked pretty well for us....since we have the older kids we would kinda split duties and one would stick around camp with the little one while the other took the older kids to do stuff. I always raised my hand first on stay around camp with the little one because I enjoy hanging out at camp a lot more than being out on the run. Plus it was nice getting that little nap during the afternoon when he would go down.

Now he's 4 and no more naps so dad no longer gets his nap. I still pick a day or two where we either all stay around camp or they go do something they want to do and I stay at camp. I've just always enjoyed hanging out in camp. I'll usually fire the smoker up and run it all afternoon and drink some beers playing guitar.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 PM   #16

Baby monitor would be useful if you put the little one on the fold down table. When my kids were little, we never went out of our way to be quiet. Get them used to sleeping with noise. You will do yourself a big favour. Then when a loud mouth neighbor starts up, or a noisy harley, you arent running for a screaming baby. The world will not be quiet just because a baby is sleeping. When they get mobile, a baby gate is a good idea to keep them from falling down the stairwell. Good luck and make memories. I cherish the camping memories with my two now grown children.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #17

What is any different? You are in care of the little one even though you have taken him ( or her ) out of their familiar surroundings. No two situations are the same for any family. Take the little one with you and enjoy your time with them. They grow up and that is when the real problems crop up. I've been there and done that and I don't regret a second of it. Be open minded and flexible and things will work out just fine for you.
I could tell you exactly what I did but it probably wouldn't be of any service to you.
Lynn
Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #18

Just a quick idea that worked for us,,,

I'm one that likes to travel light. One thing that was simple, and cheap, was our daughter's bed. Y'all may laugh but a cardboard box worked great. Found the right length and width, then cut the sides down to around 8 inches in height. Added a bassinet mattress and bedding to make everything cozy. It was very portable for inside and outside and we could just throw it on top of the dash when not in use.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
What is any different? You are in care of the little one even though you have taken him ( or her ) out of their familiar surroundings. No two situations are the same for any family. Take the little one with you and enjoy your time with them. They grow up and that is when the real problems crop up. I've been there and done that and I don't regret a second of it. Be open minded and flexible and things will work out just fine for you.
Exactly. All 3 of my kids have been camping with us since they were 6 weeks old. We used a bed rail on the overhead bed and they slept with us (no bunks in our RV) when they were little, and then moved them to the (dinette) bed when they got a bit older; no rail needed. A bed rail can be used on the bunks, or build a kid gate to cover the opening of one of the bunks (my brother did just that; wish I had a picture, but it was nearly 25 years ago, so...). Heck, modify a bed rail (add to it) to increase the height for the bunk; the possibilities are endless.

NOW is the time to make memories that will last a lifetime.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:39 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
We started camping with our oldest when he was 2 (tent-he is now 36) and the second one started at 6 months (pop up-he is now 31). With the second we laid him on one of the beds to sleep and we sat a few feet away. He never was a kid that required quiet to sleep. When we went to bed, we tucked him in between us (we always do-slept). Note that pop ups have a lot of room, so I do t know how much space you have in your trailer. BTW, the hardest age is 2-3. They are so active, have absolutely no fear, and yet still need naps. Also a lot depends on your child. Some absolutely require order and consistency and some thrive on loose schedules. My second was the first type and the first one was the second type. The first type is harder to manage on all trips, not just camping.

Don't let people discourage you from camping with children. There is unfettered joy in watching a child discover butterflies and worms and tadpoles in the outdoors. They can play for hours with rocks and a stick. Enjoy them.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 AM   #21

Bring plenty of diapers, apple juice and one of those large wheeled strollers. If it fits, bring a play pen.

We have three kids no more than 2 years apart. We camped every year in a tent during those early years. One of our kids was less than 4 months old when he went camping for the first time. We started with a long weekend around Memorial Day and then a 2 week trip around the 4th of July.

Don't forget the camera. Those were some of our best times.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamperz View Post
Good morning RV'ers! We have a child who is almost one year old, and we are going to begin using our new to us travel trailer later this month. He will be using his Pack n Play but we don't have a bunch of floor space. We have 2 bunks in the back but I think he's a little too small for that yet. I was thinking bout dropping down the dining table down to flat and putting the Pack N Play on that surface but securing it so it can't fall over. How crazy of an idea is that?

He usually sleeps through the night, but I assume we will have to be ready for bed before we put him to bed so we aren't making much noise when he's asleep. Anyone have any tips or stories about how camping with a young child works?

Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!!
The good news is most things in an RV are already child proofed! Drawers, cabinets, etc already have internal latches to keep them closed when going around turns and they do a pretty good job with little hands.

I cut a sheet of plywood to cover up the stairwell so our baby wouldn't fall down them. It was a bit heavy so I used a hole saw to cut some finger holes in it so that my wife could put it in place or lift it up when needed. It adds floor space too!

As for bed time I guess it just depends how much room you have and where the bed is. We use a travel crib with wheels and just move the baby around quietly and with red lens headlights. Even if you are not using the air conditioner you might consider running the fan all night to drown out background noises.

Enjoy your family time!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #23

Tips for camping with a 1 year old please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamperz View Post
Good morning RV'ers! We have a child who is almost one year old, and we are going to begin using our new to us travel trailer later this month. He will be using his Pack n Play but we don't have a bunch of floor space. We have 2 bunks in the back but I think he's a little too small for that yet. I was thinking bout dropping down the dining table down to flat and putting the Pack N Play on that surface but securing it so it can't fall over. How crazy of an idea is that?

He usually sleeps through the night, but I assume we will have to be ready for bed before we put him to bed so we aren't making much noise when he's asleep. Anyone have any tips or stories about how camping with a young child works?

Any tips and tricks will be greatly appreciated!!

One thing that drives me crazy in my Passport is that the "control panel" is at the perfect height for a toddlers little fingers (switch for water pump, the slide out, etc).

I installed one of those plastic thermostat covers like you see in businesses. It works great and my two year old, despite his best efforts, has not been able to get it open .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	162740
jtludwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping