Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #1

Tips for picking up a new RV

Hi,

First time RV owner. Tomorrow I am picking up a Thor Outlaw, Class C.

Any tips for picking up a new RV? Any tips for ideas to make this RV more enjoyable for weekend hare scramble (dirt bike) riding and racing?

Thank you
careyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Go slow......

Look online for a PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) "Check List".

Write down questions you may have before picking up the RV.

Take notes at the delivery. Learn how to operate the onboard systems.

Watch You Tube videos in regards to "dumping" the tanks, filling with fresh water, leveling, driving.......etc. This should also be part of your delivery, other than the driving part - but a road test should be in order also.

As far as tips for your weekend and making it more enjoyable - know your Thor Class C. Spend the weekend riding and racing - not trying to figure out how your RV works.

Congratulations on your new RV!

g
Old 12-02-2016, 06:51 AM   #3

First off I hope you held back some money pending a satisfactory final inspection. Ok, so you didn't.

As the post above suggests, go over every item on the PDI list and have a service tech demonstrate the use of each until you understand it, not just following him around like a lost puppy and doing the head bobble routine. Ask questions to your satisfaction. This is not the time to hurry. Then ask to be shown how to cope with failures such as slides and electric awnings. Those are two items you won't be bringing it back to the dealer to fix immediately, you'll be on your own to do the emergency retract procedures just to make it roadworthy.

Good luck and safe riding those bikes. They bite, I know.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you know the age of the tires? Big safety item. They age out before they wear out. If too old they need to be changed ASAP.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:55 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bring a video camera for your walk-around and if there are any promises to fix something after the deal is sealed....get it in writing...... from the dealership owner or GM, not the salesman.

Try out new RV in your driveway for a day. Hooked up to 120V and dry. Got your RV insurance in place ? Roadside Assistance plan ?
Old 12-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Totally agree with the previous comments. Be sure that they demonstrate (not just TELL you how it works) EVERY function and appliance! This is gonna take a lot of time, but better to do it now and discover something is not working right, than to discover it later and try to get it back in for repair!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP posted it's a brand-new, 2017 Outlaw 29H:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...ml#post3357325

CONGRATS!!!

Buying from See Grins or DeMartini?

The best thing to do is CHECK EVERYTHING before it leaves the lot...from the plumbing to the tail lights. Don't take it home if there is a problem. This way, you have the sales staff pushing for repairs, instead of it just being you trying to get a repair that is paid to the dealer at below retail (warranty service).

Then, if you find any problems after purchase is complete, contact the factory about everything..."keep a counting" as was said long ago. Record every conversation and promise with names. Sadly, some dealers are well known to constantly fail owners...keeping RV's for weeks while they push your RV to the back of the service line behind retail service customers. Don't believe the dealer if they blame the factory for some delay, because TMC will overnight any part needed. But the factory will only respond if they are aware.

Having said all that...See Grins and DeMartini are actually very good dealerships for a responsible reputation.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #8

I'd recommend spending the night on their lot and test out all systems while there. Don't drive it away before knowing everything works.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd recommend spending the night on their lot and test out all systems while there. Don't drive it away before knowing everything works.
Better yet, see if they will comp you a stay at a nearby park with full hookups. That way you can come back the next day after you discover a few things (either something not working, or you don't understand it, or you need further explanation, etc.).
Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Either personally check the tire pressures or watch it being done - know the target tire pressure you want ...
Old 12-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The OP posted it's a brand-new, 2017 Outlaw 29H:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f121/list...ml#post3357325

CONGRATS!!!

Buying from See Grins or DeMartini?

The best thing to do is CHECK EVERYTHING before it leaves the lot...from the plumbing to the tail lights. Don't take it home if there is a problem. This way, you have the sales staff pushing for repairs, instead of it just being you trying to get a repair that is paid to the dealer at below retail (warranty service).

Then, if you find any problems after purchase is complete, contact the factory about everything..."keep a counting" as was said long ago. Record every conversation and promise with names. Sadly, some dealers are well known to constantly fail owners...keeping RV's for weeks while they push your RV to the back of the service line behind retail service customers. Don't believe the dealer if they blame the factory for some delay, because TMC will overnight any part needed. But the factory will only respond if they are aware.

Having said all that...See Grins and DeMartini are actually very good dealerships for a responsible reputation.

Best luck
Purchased from DeMartini. The process to purchase was very easy. I had never been to their store before. Everything seems to check out but since this is my first RV, I'm sure I missed a lot of details that an experienced RVer would know. Thank you!
careyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Grass Valley must be beautiful this time of the year (DiMartini's locale)...we used to live in Contra Costa and loved it up there

Congrats again.

Hope at your first camping site, that you drop the deck , grab a chair and sit back to enjoy a beverage....then watch what happens.
When we do this, there's always a great response - from thumbs-up by the dog walkers to questions from neighbors. It's so special. Most have never seen these decks, let alone the big garage in an RV. A great way to meet the neighbors too.

BTW, I totally agree with the "camp in your driveway idea." It is a much better way to discover an issue, than being far from home if/when there is a problem discovered.

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
Hi,

Any tips for picking up a new RV? Any tips for ideas to make this RV more enjoyable for weekend hare scramble (dirt bike) riding and racing?

Thank you
So..........how did your delivery go?

When is your dirt bike scramble?

I hope all went well and you are getting a "feel" for your "House on wheels".

g
Old 12-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
Hi,

Thank you
Make sure you take her her a ride with the salesperson, listen for rattles and squeaks that will drive you bonkers on a long trip.
mrfuni is offline   Reply With Quote