Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire Birthdate

Didn't realize how hard/frustrating it is to shop for MH tires especially from my location. I have decided to replace my 7-yr old Michelins with another set (6) of Michelins (235/80R22.5)

Made quite a few phone calls from tires shops as far away as Portland, OR, and in my home state and prices vary. Two Michelin authorized shops about 50/60 miles from home have tires made in 2012 (couldn't exactly what weeks) and Les Schwab in my area have them but they're made in week 50 of 2011, and the price is acceptable.

If I choose to go with the Michelin shops and get fresher tires, then there's the mileage, gas and the bridge toll I have to contend with. If I prefer to patronize our local store where I normally use to get air for my tires (for free) and get the somewhat older set of tires, I don't have to think about the mileage, gas or toll fee. And you know, I'm leaning toward the latter choice.

But what do you think guys & gals? Would it make that much of a difference between a 5011 or 2012 tires? I'm asking because I've read quite a few statement here in the forum about members getting tires that's about a few weeks old.
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I would go with Les Schwab what are we talking about 5 months no big deal and
having been doing business for over 40 years with them I have never had a problem
with them taking care of any problem.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom View Post
Didn't realize how hard/frustrating it is to shop for MH tires especially from my location. I have decided to replace my 7-yr old Michelins with another set (6) of Michelins (235/80R22.5)

Made quite a few phone calls from tires shops as far away as Portland, OR, and in my home state and prices vary. Two Michelin authorized shops about 50/60 miles from home have tires made in 2012 (couldn't exactly what weeks) and Les Schwab in my area have them but they're made in week 50 of 2011, and the price is acceptable.

If I choose to go with the Michelin shops and get fresher tires, then there's the mileage, gas and the bridge toll I have to contend with. If I prefer to patronize our local store where I normally use to get air for my tires (for free) and get the somewhat older set of tires, I don't have to think about the mileage, gas or toll fee. And you know, I'm leaning toward the latter choice.

But what do you think guys & gals? Would it make that much of a difference between a 5011 or 2012 tires? I'm asking because I've read quite a few statement here in the forum about members getting tires that's about a few weeks old.
I live in Indiana, but as an old cross country trucker, I am familiar with Les Schwab, very big in the Pacific North west.

Think about this; Why do people spend extra money for Michelin?? Probably because they are a premium tire, and you can usually expect good tread wear. I formally owned a small fleet of 18 wheelers, so I have bought my share of tires. I have bought Michelin, had good service, I keep good records as to how many miles of wear. I compared the cost of 32cd wear on a per mile basis. When I got to the bottom line, (doing this for several years) comparing the Michelin to other popular brands, I came out about even. But my thoughts were, look how much more per tire I am paying, and what if I hit a road hazard and ruin the tire. With this in mind I bought less expensive, yet popular brands. Now we do NOT have a tread wear concern on an RV. My thoughts are that the Michelin years of service life are prrobably no more than others. Save $500. on another brand would be my thoughts, but by all means watch the birthdate. I just put 2 tires on my Dodge Van, they were 2 weeks old. You got to watch even on car tires.
Good wishes, Old Trucker.
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally I would purchase then from your local facility. As mentioned I don't believe 5 month old tires are going to make any big difference. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You sound resolved and happy with the price and the choice of tire. If so, then doing business in your local area is just good business.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #6

The last time I bought motorhome tires, I told the tire store the earliest birth date I would accept. One told me they would not bother. The rest fell all over themselves to call the warehouse and make sure tires with the right date were available. Why would you not insist that tires have a date you are comfortable with?
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Our last two Michelin's were bought at Sam's Club. After shopping around, I save just under or a little over $100.00 a tire(IIRC) - mounted, computer balanced and new valve stems. I took the tires to a truck tire business and had them do the mounting. They sold Michelin's as well but were too high. It even worked out that they were cheaper on the installs than the other tire dealers were... We have the 235/80/22.5s as well. Oh yeah, the tires were less than 2 months old. Sam's or CostCo would be worth a look, but you do have to order them. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Costco ordered my tiresMichelin 235/80.22.5 virtually brand new one week old. They will not install but Les Schwab did. But as I understand your dilema it was whether or not to patronize a local dealer or bear the additional expense of going to Portland etc. If it is the absolute bottom price you seek then shop around but if you are happy with the price and the relationship with your local dealer then make yourself happy. Sometimes convenience and loyalty trumps the rock bottom price.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #9

if you go to pdx you will save the sales tax which will about pay for fuel.
i bought my toyo tires from les schwab and they got me 4, 3 weeks old and 2, 6 weeks old tires
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #10
Rom

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful insights and advice. I guess I'll go on with what I was leaning on in the first place. When I bought my MH in Jul of 06, the OEM tires were about a year old (3905) so what's 5 months on the tires that LS have available. And besides, they (LS) have a very good reputation for service. And as what I've mentioned in my original post, before and after storing my rig for the winter, I always have them air the tires for free. Thanks again all and enjoy the spring/summer RV'ing!
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote