Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2008, 04:38 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hey y'all, stop by Pensacola and have a big drink of the tap water. You'll be in the line for bottled water. Our cats won't drink the stuff. We buy distilled water by the gallon for coffee, cooking, ironing and filling the coach batteries.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #16

What no one has stated yet: You can NOT mix air and Nitrogen in a tire. You see designer air doesn't like that high humidity stuff, AND, it might be DIRTY,
OH MY what will I worry about next?
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #17

Alpine Owners Club
Don't worry B.B. The atmosphere is already mixed with 79% Nitrogen

Me, I'm going for Helium , sure fire way to lighten the load.

By the way, our Bridgestones haven't lost a pound of air in 4 months. 79% nitrogen, 20% Oxygen and 1% other gases. But it is warming up too.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:46 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Helium is the way to go! Much lighter than air. This will lighten the load on your tires thus reducing the rolling resistance which increases fuel mileage and reduces tire wear!!
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 AM   #19

When most people think of tires, they think of car tires and nitrogen in those cases doesn't have great benefits. Well it does by keeping the pressure consistent so you get better gas mileage. Amazing how many people don't check their pressure every month. You can lose 1.5 pounds per month with air.

Fact is, we do not have car tires on our motorhomes. We have truck tires and run 3 ro 4 times the pressure. Besides not having to check tire pressure all the time and knowing that tire pressure is optimum all the time for best fuel economy, the main benefit of nitrogen is life of the tire. It eliminates the biggest cause of tire fatigue (oxygen) to buy you more years and less chance of blow out. You also have less chance of blow out because nitrogen does not contain water vapour which expands rapidly when tires get hot. The result is pressure going way up while you are driving and increasing the chances of a blow out.

Read the facts about truck tires and nitrogen for yourself, then you decide if the small cost isn't worth it:
http://www.getnitrogen.org/pdf/Nitrogen%20Tire%20Inflat...the%20Big%20Rigs.pdf

We have had nitrogen in our tires for 25,000 miles now and 2.5 years with no pressure loss and certainly no problems either.

K & G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #20

I remember reading some where air We have in our tires is about 78% Nit.as We speak so 22% is all You get.Is that what they are selling I think I will pass I watch the PSI and set Mine 10lbs under max cold .I have had blow outs but that was the cheep tires...Also over weight is number 2 cause of tire failure off shore tires are made to just lower but pass DOT specks...a tire has a build date week then year stamped on every tire as say 2308 or 23week 2008 238 would be 23week 1998 look for the date run from old tires that may save You a lot of problems...hope I never have a tire blow again at any speed..I worked in rubber plant 33-1/2 years so do have a little heads up..You can take it or leave it We seen the specks for many tires over the years...Trailer tires are not the highest rated but also the trailer builders use bottom line low rated tires to keep prices down...I would use names but can't sorry...Bushman
Old 09-29-2008, 06:59 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We have had nitrogen in our tires for 25,000 miles now and 2.5 years with no pressure loss and certainly no problems either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All that means is that your valves and tire beads & rims are in good shape. We have had plain old air in our motorhome tires for the last 24k miles. No loss of pressure (not a single psi!) and no failures.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote