Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #15

Wow! Those are some scary and sad stories. Thanks for sharing.
I'm a big believer in learning from other peoples' mistakes because I would never survive long enough to make them all myself. I never before considered the loss of hearing just by being in the vicinity of a blowout without hearing protection.
A 5' long hose and a locking air chuck seems to be the standard lashup for the pros who do this everyday. I'm going to go that route and adapt it to my Viair 450P. I think I'll wear my Mickey Mouse ears too.
Let 'em all laugh. I won't be able to hear them but it'll be by my choice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210507-104258.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	327504
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I think I'll wear my Mickey Mouse ears too.
Let 'em all laugh. I won't be able to hear them but it'll be by my choice.
After a lifetime of doing noisy things and now listening to the hiss and warble of tinnitus 24/7, I regret not having done this religiously. Such a simple thing to do, and such a huge consequence to not having done it.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #17
doc

Appalachian Campers
Years ago (MUCH younger then) Standard Oil, now Chevron had a terminal in Doraville, metro - Atlanta. Our truck shop did their own tire shop that changed tires and rims. This was the days when those old three piece locking rims were legal to run. One of the guys in the tire shop had put a new tire on one of those rims and was pumping it up. I think we ran 100 to 110 depending on the season.
No cage, no chains, nothing. That lock ring came off in an explosion and took half the poor guy's head off. He was killed instantly. Immediately, company wide those rims were done away with and tire cages were ordered and the rims chained in place. Nothing they did could help that poor guy, but maybe it saved some other men death or major injury.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #18

Went to my local truck tire store to get a flat fixed. Looked out in the service bay and saw the tire repair guy putting air into a big 18 wheeler tire, he had the tire leaning up against the outside of the safety cage and he was inside the cage with the air hose filling up tire with air. I guess he was not going to take any chances....
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:48 PM   #19

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Split rims are now illegal due to when mounted they can and will at times fly apart-if your standing in the way, most likely you will be hurt very bad if not killed. ... He said that generally if they go, this will be the time-right after the tire is mounted on the rim or when placed on the vehicle.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Split rims are now illegal due to when mounted they can and will at times fly apart-if your standing in the way, most likely you will be hurt very bad if not killed. ... He said that generally if they go, this will be the time-right after the tire is mounted on the rim or when placed on the vehicle.
Only rims with the split in the middle of the rim are now illegal, because you cannot see the split is properly seated when the tire is mounted.
This is from the California Dept. of Industrial Relations: https://www.dir.ca.gov/title8/3326.html
A truck tire inflated to 60 psi exerts nearly 12 tons of force on the locking ring.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
Just like we need another thing to worry about these days. Are typical Class C steel wheels split?
I donít think I gave seen a split rim on a new truck/RV since the 1970ís. That went away as the tubeless tire market came around.

Tags
tire