Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2020, 06:22 PM   #1

Tire pressure gauges

Hello all

New to iRV2 forums. Was wondering what is the best tire pressure gauge out there? While checking the tires on my TV I discovered a 10PSI difference between a common stick gauge, an analog dial gauge and the TV TPMS readout on the dash. The readings were all different. I don't have a TPMS system on our TT so I need to rely on an accurate pressure gauge. Thanks for the advice.
d6811j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #2

NAPA sells a good quality air gauge. I use one like this that can also be used on a compressor air hose to fill the tire. In the air gauge tools, you get what you pay for, buy quality!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
https://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-4...0-a2ffae3a273c

I've bought two of these and they both read the same, plus they speak the pressure so it makes it a bit easier checking pressures.

Only good up to 100 pounds though.

I have about 10 different tire pressure gauges and compare all the gauges. I've thrown out a couple gauges that were 5 lb off from the others.

I called several places that sell tires and asked them how they calibrate their gauges so they are accurate.

Never found a tire store yet that calibrates their gauges.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Here's the one I've been using for a couple of years. It's very accurate to the 1/10th lb and clamps onto the valve. Cost is only about $25 on Amazon. Just do a search for AstroAI gauge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AstroTireGauge.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	310627  
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Here's the one I've been using for a couple of years. It's very accurate to the 1/10th lb and clamps onto the valve. Cost is only about $25 on Amazon. Just do a search for AstroAI gauge.

I’ve got the exact same one, works great and very accurate. Manual air release button to decrease tire pressure, nice little benefit.
bobmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:42 AM   #6
IC2

This has been about the most accurate one I've used though the 160 psig version. Love the digitals but their battery always seemed to be dead when needed. There is a 100# one too

This is the AMAZON link for the 160# version: https://www.amazon.com/JACO-ElitePro.../dp/B01N4GO28W

IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:59 AM   #7

I've got two of these, one in the truck, one in the car.
I've got a friend who works in the calibration section at the state National
Guard maintenance barn who checked them out and both were spot dead on when new, though they may have lost a bit of accuracy over the 3 years I've owned them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&psc=1&fpw=alm
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:01 AM   #8

There is always going to be a discrepancy between a tire gauge and the TMPS reading.

Using my TireMinder TMPS as an example, the specs on it state that it is accurate to +/- 3%. The digital tire gauge I got from them states it is accurate to +/- 2%. Together, that can be a 5% gap between the two, meaning on a tire set at 100psi the TMPS and the gauge can have reading which are 5psi apart and both can still be within spec.

What I did is this...

Since the tire gauge has the tighter accuracy specs, I used it to set all my tires manually. Then I double-checked with another manual analog gauge to confirm the readings. After all the tires were set to proper inflation per the gauge I connected the TMPS and allowed it to find all the wheels. The reading from the TMPS was about 7psi off from what I'd just set.

Over the first few trips I spot checked the pressure readings from the TMPS against the gauge(s). The gap was consistent across cold and hot tires - about 7psi.

The purpose of the TMPS is to alert you to changes in pressure, not to set the pressure in your tires. It really doesn't matter if the pressure is the same as your gauge, just that it alerts you if there is a loss of pressure. For that you don't need accuracy, you need consistency. That was present with the setup.

Then I just adjusted the settings in the TireMinder to provide alerts based on what it thinks the pressure is in the tire so that it will sound the alarm appropriately. I made mental note (actually a written sticky note as well) so I'll remember what the TMPS readings actually mean and just carry on.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 05:44 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
+3. Like the way it clips on as well. Makes adding air much easier. If you overshoot a bit just tap the relief button until at desired pressure.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:19 AM   #10

The last time this topic came up, this gauge got a lot of good press. I own one, and it works fine. I also have an analog gauge I keep with me, in case the digital fails or the batteries die, but this one is easier to use so it's my go-to gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-ATG18...EGWVVJWM60M7X4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TPG.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	310652  
Old 12-08-2020, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
The last time this topic came up, this gauge got a lot of good press. I own one, and it works fine. I also have an analog gauge I keep with me, in case the digital fails or the batteries die, but this one is easier to use so it's my go-to gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/AstroAI-ATG18...EGWVVJWM60M7X4
I have one of those they are quite accurate compared to analog gauges. Internet reveals studies proving digital is more accurate. I do have a analog gauge in my toolbox though.
Gauge inaccuracy is yet another reason not to set tire pressure at chart minimums.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

A 2% or 3% differential between gauges is within normal accuracy specs for tire inflation gauges. and "close enough" for tire work. If you have one that is outside that range, replace it. I have a couple of inflator types like those shown above, plus a good mechanical gauge and an Accutire digital gauge. They are all within 1-2 psi at readings between 25 & 100 psi.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:37 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
For everyone who stated, “it’s very accurate” about their preferred gauge,

How did you determine that?

Thanks,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:47 PM   #14

This is what NASCAR uses, at least the division I'm familiar with,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/icp-360045

That said who wants to spend that kind of money for unneeded accuracy. Personally I like the analog gauges liquid filled or not, just don't break the glass. The accuracy is good enough and the batteries never go dead. I have a digital gauge I just threw away because it never worked when I needed it.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauges, tire pressure