Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #1

Tire pressure on an RV

Here is my question for the day. Do you maintain tire pressure in an RV as you would a regular vehicle tire. The rating on my RV tires are for 50 psi. Should I fill it to 50 or adjust to a little lower rating, say 47 psi ?
I have a 2017 Coachman Apex 21 RBK. Dry weight is 4700 lbs. Tire rating is a C and are 205/55/R14
NS Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 09:02 AM   #2

Sorry, we have no idea what RV you have, what the axles weight or where the 50 PSI recommendation comes from.

More details and perhaps we can assist.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:12 AM   #3

Tire pressure on RV tires

I have a 2017 Coachman Apex 21 RBK. Dry weight is 4700 lbs. Tire rating is a C and are 205/55/R14. The 50 psi is stamped on the tires from the manufacturer.
NS Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS Maritimer View Post
I have a 2017 Coachman Apex 21 RBK. Dry weight is 4700 lbs. Tire rating is a C and are 205/55/R14. The 50 psi is stamped on the tires from the manufacturer.
This is a sensitive topic , lots of opinions .

Regarding the tire sidewall pressure shown , this is for maximum weight carrying capacity .

Your dry weight is inconsequential as to tire pressure . What you need is the actual loaded weight on each axle to determine proper pressures.

Take that info , find the tire manufacturers tire pressure chart online to determine approved pressure for actual load .

Much more tire pressure info is available on this forum , just use the search function at the top of the page.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't go by the pressure on the side of the tire! There should be a placard somewhere in your RV that shows the recommended tire pressures. Those will be the pressure recommended to carry the RV at gross weight. I would air to tires to that pressure first thing in the morning. Don't worry about the pressure rising as the tires get hot during the day. JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gail View Post
This is a sensitive topic , lots of opinions .

Regarding the tire sidewall pressure shown , this is for maximum weight carrying capacity .

Your dry weight is inconsequential as to tire pressure . What you need is the actual loaded weight on each axle to determine proper pressures.

Take that info , find the tire manufacturers tire pressure chart online to determine approved pressure for actual load .

Much more tire pressure info is available on this forum , just use the search function at the top of the page.
This. Go weigh your moho and refer to the tire charts.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here is what I did when I had a travel trailers. I had good years on most of them.

Until I knew the load on the tires, I would use the max load PSI on the side of the tire.

But once I knew the weigh I wanted a softer ride. I would reference goodyears inflation chart for "SP" tires. Get my tires loaded weight at a CAT scale or truck stop with scale Find my tire size and look up the psi to load and air up per the chart. Plus add the following, The following or any tire presure should no exceed the tire rated max PSI. I would add a buffer of 5+ PSI so I was not needing to add air every cool. One in awhile I find myself over 70 mph. I would add an additional 10+ PSI, for the goodyear traveling over 70 MPH service bulletin (I believe its a Canadian bulletin).
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:17 AM   #8

I fill to almost max tire pressure on the tire on my trailer. That's because I don't care so much about wear. I care more about rolling easily and less heat build up. I don't do that with my tow vehicle, just my trailer. That has never failed me over a lot of years of pulling TT's.

I'll try to get closer to the right pressure for the old class A when I get it ready for the road. I might try the chalk test on it once I get everything done.
Traygar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure