Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #1

tire pressure systems who has it?

How many of you out there have the tire pressure monitoring systems are they worth getting or not? I was talking with a truck driver and he thinks that I'm crazy and ithat its a waste of money what do you guys think and what brand are you guys using? Joe
ninos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #2

I have the TST system and love it. If I pickup a nail in a tire and it causes a slow leak that is a recipe for a blowout on these trailers with the tires running at or near their max load capability. Consider the cost of repairing the damage, it is worth the investment for a TPMS IMHO.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #3

We use the Tire Tracker System that we purchased from Lawrence RV. We love the system. It's reasonably priced and efficient. As to whether or not it's a good idea.....well, it would only have to save you from one bad experience to pay for itself several times over. It's just another form of insurance that you hope you don't need but you wouldn't do without it.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninos View Post
How many of you out there have the tire pressure monitoring systems are they worth getting or not? I was talking with a truck driver and he thinks that I'm crazy and that its a waste of money what do you guys think and what brand are you guys using? Joe
TST (Truck Systems Technologies) is one of our sponsors here on the site and they are also sending a representative to our 2011 National Rally. They are giving us a 6 sensor 507 System ($299.00) as a door prize. Matt Wood is scheduled for seminar session with us and he will describe how tire pressure monitor systems work, what are the advantages of ownership and how a TST system can make a difference for you.

One thing that I can tell you is that it is not a waste of money.

If you are fortunate enough, perhaps you can win this system.

(all eligible recipients must be registered and present to win)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Pressure Pro system on the coach and toad. After 4 years of operation I have no complaints and no false alarms yet.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Truck drivers have a totally different perspective on blow-outs than RV drivers.

On a tractor-trailer, a blow-out is unlikely to cause any collateral damage; on an RV, built of twine, plastic, fiberglass and little sticks of wood, the damage can be in the tens of thousands of dollars, depending on exactly what systems the blowing tire rips out as it goes...

The tire value itself is of little to no consequence in this equation. Your trucker friend simply doesn't understand what's at risk in an RV blow-out.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:11 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I think you're CRAZY not to have one...It'll only take one blow out to convince you of how much a system is worth...In my case it was a back tag that blew out and my Doran system (which I had bought and just hadn't gotten around to installing yet... ) would have saved me over $7,000.00.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have the "TireSafeGuard" system, purchased about 6 months ago, since my tires were about 6 years old. It is the "Flow Through" type, that you don't have to remove, to add or reduce air the pressure. Generally, I am satisfied with the system, although there are some drawbacks to it.

First off, I seem to be constantly watching the monitor on the dash and worrying about seeing the red light come on. Before I got it, I never worried about my tires much, other than checking the pressure fairly regular.

The system didn't help much, when I had my first blow-out last month. That is, you don't need the system to tell you that a tire has just exploded. It didn't have time to give me any warnings, such as low pressure, etc. The blow-out damaged my RV, to the tune of about $3000.00.

However, I intend to keep it (the tps) because I now have all new tires. Also, I will be adding the sending units to my toad, in the near future. I do think they are worth the $500 investment, but don't tell the DW. She doesn't know they cost that much.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #9

We have the Pressure Pro system..works great ........... would NEVER consider not having it .... believe earlier respondent that mentioned the truck drive doesn't understand is being far too nice..... think about it seriously ....
Old 08-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've used the Doran 360 system for nearly 4 years now and don't think I'd ever be without a TPMS again. However, based on my experience with the Doran system, I would choose a different brand next time. I've had to replace 7 of the 10 sensors already.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another TST system user here and mine have worked fine. It just makes me feel better to "know" rather than "assume" the tires are OK. A big plus is that I haven't had to cuss out my dullies while checking tire pressures; this alone was worth the price.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How does that song go (not like this):

Let me tell you the story, of a man named SORRY and that tragic and fateful day, His Pressure Pro was delivered, he tossed it in basement storage and hooked up to drive away.

And he ever return yes yes he did return though he fate was to get burned. The tire on his towed went flat and the damage, was.. Rather great.

Ok, enough of that.

You have the first part, it arrived at the place he was camped. He was getting ready to leave so he tossed it in basement storage intending to install at his next stop. (Which he did) hooked up the towed and not 15 miles later people are honking and pointing and when he pulled off he found one of the front tires on his towed had gone flat,, Shreadded, totaled the tire, rim, brake rotor and fender. Over 2,000 in secondary damage (And that does not include tire, rim and brakes)

I got my Pressure Pro.. Put it on, hooked up and drove about 200 miles.. about 1/3 the way there BEEP BEEP BEEP,, Low tire,, the very same tire that went flat on his ride (Driver's side front on the towed) I pulled off, fired up Mr. Onan, plugged in Mr. Crafstman and aired it back up.. Got to where we were going w/o any more beeps.

Next day the tire was flat, I aired it up and went shopping.. Put air in it a couple more times that weekend including just before leaving for him.. Monday morning the tire was again flat I aired it up and drove the few miles to Belle Tire. (I Got it from Belle and they have a road hazard guarantee)

They inspected the tire, Found I'd been screwed.. So they removed the screw, put in a proper patch, and re-mounted the tire.. No charge under warranty... My total expenses, perhaps a dollar's worth of gasoline. (And I got a dollar's worth of free coffee at the tire place to make up for it)

$0.00 v/s over $2,000.

You figure out how much that TPMS was worth.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #13

Gulfstream Ultra 30 E450 (just as close to max weights as a C should be) Went from OH to CA. several years ago on Firestones. I won't bash the "stones" as I had an inside dual go flat from nail puncture on the Pacific Coast Hwy sometime during the day and never knew. But......... it was a wake up call to what could have been. When I got home installed Michelin XPS Ribs, tireman rigid stems and Pressure Pro. I'm off tomorrow with the family, Salt Lake City, GTNP, Yellowstone, Glacier and back, 4200 miles, 3 weeks, counting on TPMS to keep me "current on events"
wsqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire SafeGuard system for me. I like the flow thru sensors they use and I have had great customer support. I had a flat on my toad and a slow leak on a MH tire before I bought they system 3 years ago. The system has warned me of low pressure 3 or 4 times in those 3 years. Money well spent.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote