Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2022, 07:03 PM   #29

I agree that you'll be very lucky if all you are liable for is repairs to your RV.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryg17 View Post
Hi all need some advice. Had a company come out to my site to put on 6 new tires. 2 service men and 2 trucks. They worked on the back double tires first. One service finished the back passenger side and moved to the front, I went up and asked him if he would like to see if mt leveling jacks would lift the front tires off the ground, he said Sue but wait until he gets his jack out. Once his jack was out go ahead and raise the front. He never bothered to check with the other guy was finished. As I was putting up the front the back jack got wedged in. When the guy try to take it out. The jack let go and the RV fell, it bruised the guy in the back and he went to the hospital, he is ok and back to work 3 days later. When the jack let go and the RV fell it hit on both rear stabilizers drove the up about 8 inches and drove the air drier into the drive shaft. The tire place is now saying bring it to a Freightliner repair, and if they say it’s the tire peoples fault they will pay for it. If it’s a defect in the RV I would have to pay. Not sure why I would have to pay anything. The only place the rv has gone since Covid is 2 times to the gas station that is a mile and a half away. Any suggestions???
Thanks,
Larryg17
As someone already posted why didn’t you let them do their job without getting in the way. You should have said YOU didn’t make sure the other guy was done as you took control of the situation.

You are responsible for the the guy who got hurt…I hope you paid his wage for the three days. Did you at least send a card?

The fact you have not posted since you received comments not in your favour says everything. If you dont get sued, consider it a blessing.
Old 04-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #31

Send a message via ICQ to Farfman Send a message via AIM to Farfman
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Count your lucky stars and break out your wallet. You lowered the jacks? You are responsible for everything that happened at that point. It doesn't matter what else was going on, you pushed the button and didn't check to see if it was safe to do so. You could be found liable for any damage to their equipment and the mechanic's medical bills in addition to any damage to your rig. You could have killed somebody and you're worried about paying to repair the damage you caused? Pay and move on. Be safe.
And that's the bottom line... Should have let them do THEIR job. 😳
Farfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #32
tcg

I can't offer any advice because I am not a lawyer or insurance guy but...

This is why I carry a 3 million dollar umbrella policy to cover my butt for things like this.

Although, I think I might call my insurance guy and ask if my umbrella policy covers foreseeability negligence.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:48 PM   #33

Once you stepped in the equation you became responsible. If someone hands you a unloaded gun and you shoot someone, that is on you. Sorry for everyone involved. Accidents do happen. But someone is still responsible. What does your insurer say?
rkbeasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #34

OP was responsible here, for not checking if it was ok himself. That said, accidents do happen and that is why we carry insurance.

Your insurance IS your lawyer - so don't consult with any other attorney and many policies have time constraints on contacting them after an incident. So contact your insurance asap.

Maybe a lesson or reminder for us all...

I hope the best for you OP.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:15 PM   #35

I am sure the OP feels badly and was indeed just trying to help.

Let's take a breathe here and thank goodness everyone is ok.

It is unfortunate even though the OP was trying to be helpful, I think the law will not be favorable. Memories of the tire guys have a funny way of changing. Remember when he told you to not touch anything? They do.

Be happy if they are covering their medical bills and you cover the RV bills.

Also, to the OP, we have all done stuff like that and we usually get away with it. But when you don't it stinks.

Be glad the guy is ok.
Keith55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #36

I disagree with those that say, “Just let them do their job.”

I’ve put tires on our coach twice. The first time I “Just let them do their job.” My coach has Independent Front Suspension, and instead of jacking on the center support, they jacked on the lower control arms! The right side control arm was bent, but I did not know this until several months later when the coach was in the Freightliner service shop in Gaffney for it’s annual inspection. By then there was no way I could prove the tire shop did it, so I had to eat it.

I put a new set of tires on last year. When I pulled into the shop, I briefed the techs that I would lift the coach with my own jacks, and they were fine with that. I extended the jacks until all four wheels were off the ground. It made their job much easier and quicker, with no risk to my suspension. I will do it this way every time, now.

Now I know some of the “Safety Zealots” here will now say it was “dangerous” to lift all four off the ground. They will cite that fact that the coach could slide off the jacks because the drive wheels with the parking brake were not on the ground. To those folks I would have ask, on a level, concrete shop floor, where is it going to go? With 32,000 pounds sitting on four jacks, do you really think it’s going to move? Not a chance.
RV Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:33 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post

Now I know some of the “Safety Zealots” here will now say it was “dangerous” to lift all four off the ground. They will cite that fact that the coach could slide off the jacks because the drive wheels with the parking brake were not on the ground. To those folks I would have ask, on a level, concrete shop floor, where is it going to go? With 32,000 pounds sitting on four jacks, do you really think it’s going to move? Not a chance.
Well..... I guess I'm one of those "Safety Zealots" after a jack slipped on level ground and killed a friend.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:04 PM   #38

The guy who got hurt will probably sue you.
b17drvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #39

RV Driver:

Where are you coming from???! This guy was in a Park, not a shop, and they were half way through the job, and that is when the SHTF...

Keep it on track man...
Old 04-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #40

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampbell View Post
As someone already posted why didn’t you let them do their job without getting in the way. You should have said YOU didn’t make sure the other guy was done as you took control of the situation.

You are responsible for the the guy who got hurt…I hope you paid his wage for the three days. Did you at least send a card?

The fact you have not posted since you received comments not in your favour says everything. If you dont get sued, consider it a blessing.
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:47 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psneeld View Post
Wow....I was involved in a vessel loading lawsuit where people did things without notifying all involved.

Also way too many critical rescue ops for a large part of a career where suits were brought about due to chain of command communication lapses.

You are one lucky guy to not have had things go worse.

I can't be sure but there is insurance all the way around as I don't know much about workman's comp insurance...but that may cover the injured worked and I would think your insurance would cover your coach.

I am neither a lawyer or an insurance expert, but it fits my experiences and understanding.

But as to fault....it would be very easy to prove you were at least half at fault unless you have definitive proof the other worker said fine, do it now.
Medical and Liability on RV should cover it: minus deductible.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 07:50 PM   #42

Tire guys.

You may have inadvertently caused the problem by interfering with there job. You are paying them ,let them do there job. They are working as a team, when a third player gets involved the communication gets to one side and not the other. That’s how accidents happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryg17 View Post
Hi all need some advice. Had a company come out to my site to put on 6 new tires. 2 service men and 2 trucks. They worked on the back double tires first. One service finished the back passenger side and moved to the front, I went up and asked him if he would like to see if mt leveling jacks would lift the front tires off the ground, he said Sue but wait until he gets his jack out. Once his jack was out go ahead and raise the front. He never bothered to check with the other guy was finished. As I was putting up the front the back jack got wedged in. When the guy try to take it out. The jack let go and the RV fell, it bruised the guy in the back and he went to the hospital, he is ok and back to work 3 days later. When the jack let go and the RV fell it hit on both rear stabilizers drove the up about 8 inches and drove the air drier into the drive shaft. The tire place is now saying bring it to a Freightliner repair, and if they say it’s the tire peoples fault they will pay for it. If it’s a defect in the RV I would have to pay. Not sure why I would have to pay anything. The only place the rv has gone since Covid is 2 times to the gas station that is a mile and a half away. Any suggestions???
Thanks,
Larryg17
tremor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems, tire