Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #43

Bottom line, scammers wouldn't be wasting their time trying to scam people if people were not falling for their scams . . . .

No money (deposit etc) changes hands until I see, inspect, feel, taste the item, and until I see the legal documents that confirm ownership. The balance due changes hands AT THE DMV when the "sellers" title is accepted and transferred into my name.

If I lose out on the "deal of a lifetime" so be it!

Hard to see how anyone could go wrong if they follow the above . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post

The balance due changes hands AT THE DMV when the "sellers" title is accepted and transferred into my name.
That sounds good but logistically I'm not sure how that can happen. There are only 2 ways I would accept payment on a high value item. A bank to bank wire transfer or a cashiers check for the full amount issued by the buyers bank where I as the seller can see the bank teller write the check. For the wire transfer the buyer would have to agree to have the money sent out of his account while both the seller and buyer go to the DMV. I'm not sure as a buyer I would do this. The seller could simply disappear on the way to the DMV with the money now in the sellers account.

The cashiers check is probably the safest. The buyer keeps the check until you're both at the DMV.

Thinking out loud, perhaps the safest way with a wire transfer is for the buyer and seller to meet at the buyers bank and have a bank employee witness a notarized bill of sale before or during the wire transfer noting the funds were paid by wire transfer.

I would never accept cash and would of course check that the title, registration and drivers license all belong to the seller.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #45

I have to ask, why would you not accept cash, it seems like it would be relatively safe from a sellers point of view? I have accepted cash for used cars I have sold in the past, although that was always for a much smaller amount than we are talking here ( I think the most ever was $3,500).

As to the tag issue, I don't know yet, waiting to see if my bank can pre-issue a temporary Louisiana tag for me to take with me. Their person that usually handles such things is on vacation this week, so it may be Monday before I find out. I am scheduled to go by on Tuesday to sign the loan paperwork and pick up a cashiers check for the purchase.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #46

I was thinking more like $100,000+. I sold a '01 Infinity earlier this year for $3300 cash.

Concerning the tag, from the FL DMV web site:
Buy a temporary tag to take my vehicle back to my home state?

Yes, if the vehicle was purchased in Florida with a Florida title. You must provide proof of current insurance, the title and approved picture identification. The temporary tag is $7.50 and you will be assessed sales tax according to your state of residence.

If there is no lien on the title, the seller just signs the back of the title and it's yours.

You will pay the LA sales tax to FL and receive a document stating sales tax paid.

When you get home you will have to register the vehicle in your home state but will not have to pay the sales tax. You already paid that to FL.

Getting a temporary tag is probably easier and cheaper than trying to pre-register it in your home state.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
That sounds good but logistically I'm not sure how that can happen. There are only 2 ways I would accept payment on a high value item. A bank to bank wire transfer or a cashiers check for the full amount issued by the buyers bank where I as the seller can see the bank teller write the check. For the wire transfer the buyer would have to agree to have the money sent out of his account while both the seller and buyer go to the DMV. I'm not sure as a buyer I would do this. The seller could simply disappear on the way to the DMV with the money now in the sellers account.

The cashiers check is probably the safest. The buyer keeps the check until you're both at the DMV.

Thinking out loud, perhaps the safest way with a wire transfer is for the buyer and seller to meet at the buyers bank and have a bank employee witness a notarized bill of sale before or during the wire transfer noting the funds were paid by wire transfer.

I would never accept cash and would of course check that the title, registration and drivers license all belong to the seller.
Good points, I would accept a cashier's check ONLY if I saw it written as in the above. With today's modern printers, scanners, etc, I might not be able to tell a counterfeit cashier's check from a real one! I have done a purchase by going to the DMV FIRST and having the DMV personnel verify that the title is good, and that it the person selling the vehicle is actually the person on the title, THEN gone to his bank where I wired money to his account. He then signed the title, with the bank notary verifying the signature, and then I received the title.

Maybe I'm a bit to paranoid, but I've never been taken yet!

Another reason to go to the DMV is to verify that the title is still valid. Case in point. A friend of mine purchased a car, verified the title was to the vehicle by confirming the VIN. Paid the guy, went to the DMV, then police, and found out that a "duplicate title" had been applied for, car had been sold, car was then stolen back from buyer a few weeks later (with keys the "seller" still had) and resold by the original owner to him . . . The guy was arrested, but friend lost his "new" car, AND money was not recovered. Just a thought for other paranoid people out there!
Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 AM   #48

The best of luck with your new coach !!
Like others said here, not all are scammers on craigslist.

Rick S.
rcopo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:29 AM   #49

Ford Super Duty Owner
For what it's worth we just completed a Craigslist deal with no bumps in the road at all. We are in VT and our buyer is from NY. They came and looked at it and said that they would like to discuss it. They left and a couple days later they said they would like to do a test drive. They came again and drove it. We agreed on the value and they later sent me a bank check for that amount. I deposited the funds and signed the title and sent it to them. They will come tomorrow to get "their" new motor home.

For me the short of the story know what you are looking at and try to get a feel for who you are dealing with. For me buying blindly just cannot happen. I have to see and touch anything of this value. One would think that sending a large amount of money to an individual in another state is a risk. He obviously had to believe that I would send the title. My guess and hope is that he felt comfortable with me and that I wasn't about to cheat him.

I don't care if you are purchasing an older $3000 unit or a 5 year old $50K unit, it is vital to deal in person. Any of us can be fooled but your chances of not being scammed are greater if you deal in person.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:56 PM   #50

I want to know where you find a 5 year old unit for only $50K I am about to pay $20K+ for a small Class A that turned 15 years old this month (build date Oct 2001).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:04 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I want to know where you find a 5 year old unit for only $50K I am about to pay $20K+ for a small Class A that turned 15 years old this month (build date Oct 2001).
2011 Forest River GEORGETOWN M-300FGS, South Burlington VT - - RVtrader.com

This was just a quick search on my part in my area. They can be found if you really want to look for them.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:27 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Good luck on the purchase, sounds like you did your due diligence. What are you going to do about a license tag to drive home?
Check your local listings, but most states will allow you to drive on a signed title. That is what we did with our rig in IL. Call the Secretary of State and ask about it in the states you travel through with a new rig.
Thegozfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:10 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
This is the sister ad to which I inquired to they are the same unit, below is the info, the ad I replied to has since been removed from what I can tell.

Turbo Diesel Executive * 2002 Monaco

2002 MONACO EXECUTIVE 40 DS - $23,000

Juliana Hoskins <j3hd22@gmail.com>

Aug 8 (3 days ago)

to me

Hello, my name is Juliana Hoskins, happy to see you are interested in my motorhome.

This is a beautiful 2002 MONACO EXECUTIVE MODEL 40 DS, 2 SLIDES, TAG AXLE, 42 FT TURBO DIESEL PUSHER MOTORHOME! Rare To Find! Good Miles!!! Powered by 500 HP CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL motor on ROADMASTER chassis that runs strong, and the automatic 6 SPEED ALLISON transmission shifts smoothly. Motor starts and runs really good. It has a Onan Quiet Diesel 10000 generator with only 649 hours, that starts and runs good. It is equipped with front air conditioning and TWO roof A/C units. Winegard satellite antenna, solar panel, rear backup camera, electric step, full outside basement storage, outside shower, Lp gas, Aqua hot system, black/gray/fresh water tanks. Cruise control, Abs, jake brake, towing package, tag axle, full body paint, ladder, and many other luxury features.

Please note I have provided a lot of detailed pictures for you to get an adequate idea of the condition of the Motorhome...

This motorhome has a Texas Salvage title. If your State requires, I can provide you with a clean blue TX rebuilt title, within 2 weeks, after payment. If you have any questions about the rebuild title, you can call your local State DMV. The price was reduced at $23,000. I have purchased this Rv from Insurance company. Refrigerator caught on fire. Fire has been put down right away, and there is no damage to the inside of the Rv. The damage was only to the refrigerator vent on the roof, and couple of inches on the front of the vent. Roof has been repaired by a professional fiberglass shop, and the vent had been replaced. Refrigerator needs new coolant unit. There is no smoke odor, or other odors inside of the Rv.
If you have any other questions, or need more info please feel free to ask.
Thank you

Juliana Hoskins

Aug 9 (2 days ago)

to me

Kerry, this is how eBay's escrow service works:

1. I will contact and give them all the information regarding this deal.
2. They will email us the official form once they acknowledge and confirm it.
3. You will send the escrow payment to eBay and they will trigger the automated shipping to start.
4. After you inspect/drive the motorhome trailer and decide to keep it, eBay will release the funds to me after you take legal ownership.

Remember you have 5 days to test it. If by any reason motorhome is not as described or if you find any problems with it I will pay to get it back to me.
I work odd hours, email works best so please bare with me - sometimes I cannot respond immediately. I will try to check it every time I'm free and give you a response as soon as I can. A little patience and I think we both can get what we are looking for. Hope you can agree!
I need to know if you are interested so I can ask them to send you the official form for this sale. If "YES" please include in your next email your contact info for eBay (full name, shipping address /billing address and phone number), so we can move forward with this transaction.

Thank you!
Its a scam. Trust me. How do I know? Because you pay to a phoney escrow before getting possession.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:21 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegozfam View Post
Check your local listings, but most states will allow you to drive on a signed title. That is what we did with our rig in IL. Call the Secretary of State and ask about it in the states you travel through with a new rig.
The key points are whether you have bound insurance in your name on your new vehicle, and if the seller left the plates on the RV!
Old 11-01-2016, 07:11 PM   #55

All states are different. Here, the plates go with the person not the vehicle. Change owners, the new owner needs to register with their own plates and needs insurance before doing so. Steep penalties for not PROPERLY registering your vehicle. However, an out-of-state buyer may register with a 10-day temporary registration for transporting back home. Still need that insurance, though.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill06447 View Post
All states are different. Here, the plates go with the person not the vehicle. Change owners, the new owner needs to register with their own plates and needs insurance before doing so. Steep penalties for not PROPERLY registering your vehicle. However, an out-of-state buyer may register with a 10-day temporary registration for transporting back home. Still need that insurance, though.
I, personally, have never worried about it. As long as I have a bill of sale, signed title,insurance, I have a grace period for registration in home state. I am not saying that some states( I refrain from naming) can be @zzes, but I have not had a problem. How many cardboard, "in transit" signs have you seen are cars passing you? Of course, I live by the "better to ask for forgiveness, than to ask for permission" rule. Has served me well for 50+ years. This is just my opinion and my outlook. Take it for what it's worth.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote